Anything more suitable than a 4-series GC?

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm looking at upgrading from my 11yr old Fiesta to something larger/more refined. The 4 series GC has caught my eye as it seems to tick a lot of boxes:

- Hatchback + large boot (I need to fit a bicycle + luggage in the back leaving at least one rear seat up)
- Enough rear passenger space to fit a rear facing child seat without having to have the front seats all the way forward
- Decent interior/set of features
- More refined than my current Fiesta - it's difficult to have a conversation at motorway speeds without practically shouting in the Fiesta
- Not an SUV/estate

Budget is around £20k. Less would be nice, slightly more is possible.

8-10k miles per year. Mix of short and long trips (driving to Germany a few times per year).

Any other cars I should be considering?

In terms of the 4GC, I was thinking a 420i is realistic. Yes, it's an inline 4 in a BMW so not a "real" BMW, but I suspect still a significant improvement over my 1.6l fiesta.

I understand these were facelifted around 2017. Is it worth pushing the budget to get a <3 year old example or would it be better to get an older but maybe better optioned pre-2017 model and save a few £££?

Thanks!

Phil

Man of Honour
By the time these were facelifted they were getting pretty old anyway so I'd be loath to spend big money on one, so wouldn't go too far beyond 20k. It is effectively a 5 door version of the 2012 onwards 3 series.

On that note it's worth looking at the 3 Series GT. It's slightly ugly but is otherwise so similar to the 4 Series GC it's hard to see why they even bothered making it. They are usefully cheaper by virtue of the slightly iffy looks so you'd get a nicer one for the money, or be able to spend less.

Soldato
Soldato
You could probably squeeze into an A5 Sportback B9 which is a much more modern car, but the options may be limited at the budget. The interior is far superior though.

Associate
Depends on your thoughts on interior. A VW Passat will more than meet the other requirements, but obviously the interior isn't BMW standard. You could even go for a Mondeo or Skoda Superb, but again interior won't be BMW /Audi standard.

Still, at your budget you could afford something with those marques less than 3 years old so it won't be that bad.

Soldato
Soldato
Depends on your thoughts on interior. A VW Passat will more than meet the other requirements, but obviously the interior isn't BMW standard. You could even go for a Mondeo or Skoda Superb, but again interior won't be BMW /Audi standard.

Still, at your budget you could afford something with those marques less than 3 years old so it won't be that bad.
Passat doesn't have the hatchback boot. The arteon on the other hand does and I think it looks great as well!!

Associate
I've had Skodas for the last few years, as when the kids were small I wanted something I didn't mind them scuffing. I like the interiors and being VWGroup cars they're good, but then my favourite car is my Caterham which shows that interior isn't the thing I look most for in a car!

Soldato
In true OcUK fashion, i'm going to suggest the car that I have as an alternative to think about:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008052097698 (Something like this, this specific car may not be the nicest or cheapest example out there)

- Hatchback + large boot (I need to fit a bicycle + luggage in the back leaving at least one rear seat up) - Yep
- Enough rear passenger space to fit a rear facing child seat without having to have the front seats all the way forward - Yep
- Decent interior/set of features - Bit subjective - 8" Touch Sat Nav (but also controllable to an extent from the dials), Heated Elec Mem Seats with 4 way lumbar, Dual Zone Climate, Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, Front Rear Park Sensors, Adaptive Lane Assist, LED Headlights, 245PS 2.0TSI, VAQ E-Diff etc.
- More refined than my current Fiesta - it's difficult to have a conversation at motorway speeds without practically shouting in the Fiesta - won't be BMW quiet but it's certainly still good
- Not an SUV/estate - Yep

Similar specs available from 184PS TDI or 220/230PS Petrol models for less money, though not necessarily with quite the same level of kit, the early 245s were slightly better equipped than other Octavia vRS at the time.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestions/tips everyone!

I was initially put off the 3GT by the looks, but I'll take another look as I may have written that one off too soon. A5 is also an interesting one. My old boss had one and it seemed like a nice car. Didn't think I'd get one in this budget but will take a look.

Must admit I'd never heard of/seen the Arteon but a quick glance at the used approved site is promising.

I didn't really look a Skoda. A friend of mine has a 2011(?) diesel Roomster and it's terrible. Sounds like a tractor and interior quality is worse than a 20 year old Astra. I see the Octavia recommended quite a lot so I guess things have moved on a bit?

I'd also pretty much forgotten that the Mondeo exists :p

With the BMW being a bit of an older design I guess the difference between a more recent, high-spec, VW/Ford/Skoda may not be too large at the same budget. I've seen comments from others elsewhere as well saying that the 4-series interior isn't exactly BMW finest achievement - are we talking poor for a BMW but still good compared to a lot of others, or just outright poor? It looks decent enough in photos but I haven't sat in one yet.

Soldato
Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions/tips everyone!

I was initially put off the 3GT by the looks, but I'll take another look as I may have written that one off too soon. A5 is also an interesting one. My old boss had one and it seemed like a nice car. Didn't think I'd get one in this budget but will take a look.

Must admit I'd never heard of/seen the Arteon but a quick glance at the used approved site is promising.

I didn't really look a Skoda. A friend of mine has a 2011(?) diesel Roomster and it's terrible. Sounds like a tractor and interior quality is worse than a 20 year old Astra. I see the Octavia recommended quite a lot so I guess things have moved on a bit?

I'd also pretty much forgotten that the Mondeo exists :p

With the BMW being a bit of an older design I guess the difference between a more recent, high-spec, VW/Ford/Skoda may not be too large at the same budget. I've seen comments from others elsewhere as well saying that the 4-series interior isn't exactly BMW finest achievement - are we talking poor for a BMW but still good compared to a lot of others, or just outright poor? It looks decent enough in photos but I haven't sat in one yet.

For the age it's of good quality however the design is very boring & outdated. It is very similar in design to the original F30 3 Series which began production in late 2011. The Audi A5, and even the Arteon look more up to date with full digital dials etc which are not available in the F30

Back
Top Bottom