Anything Pumbing Related Leaks If Touched!

Associate
Is this just a me thing or am I heavy handed??!!

Our outside tap is (was) the cut into pipe kind and keeps blocking once every year or so due to crap build up or something. Took it off, tightened it up after cleaning and it leaked, well dripped. Took it off, tightened it up too much and I snapped the brass connector. Great!

Replaced with a washer T connector after cutting the pipe and one side of the compression nut was leaking. Tightened it up and then twisted the inlet connector on the toilet (the pipe is all connected up to the toilet, no flexi hose) which then started leaking.

Argh, so I needed to replace the ball valve / inlet valve anyway as it did drip after filling and replacing the diaphram washer didn't fix it previously.

So! Replaced the inlet, cut out the T washer bit (no outside tap now) and then used a flexi hose to connect the pipe to the inlet connector and the next day the compression nut on the damn flexi hose was leaking. :mad:

So... screw this **** we are paying a plumber to do it properly and fix a new outside tap. They did a much cleaner / tidier job than me and the outside tap is copper not flexi hose now. They did solder joints and a couple of compression isolators. Great!

The next day, OMG the compression isolators are BOTH weeping! It's just me, or this house, it's cursed! They came back and put PTFE tape on the olives and some jointing compound and so far so good. I know it should not be needed on compression fittings but they all just bloody leak! The plumber said they're just cheaply made now a days and sometimes they leak. I'm just 4 for 4 on compression fittings for leaking!

Last edited:
Are you talking about one of these?

That's pretty much exactly it, yeah. Slightly different on the bottom bit where that pushes over barbs to connect the outside tap, ours just twisted straight on to the bottom like a washer connector does.

The bit I snapped was the bit the clamps around the pipe and cuts into it. I twisted until it was snug, twisted a bit more and the whole thing snapped! Luckily it did it then and not in the night at some point.

Yeah them self cutting valves are really best avoided. Ive got a self cutting drain off that i use from time to time but it’s only a temporary solution. They are an accident waiting to happen if you ask me.
It did work well when it wasn't blocked! But yeah I wasn't a fan of this install to be honest and my girlfriend got her dad to do it while I was at work about 5 years ago because she wanted an outside tap. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, it leaked when he finished installing it as well and I had to fix it myself lol. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom