Anything seriously stupid about this build?

Soldato
Intention was to build it months ago but health has been all over the shop, so here I am again asking the same questions. Not worried about it being the absolute bang for buck. I just need it to go together without major oversights or noobie ****-ups in picking incompatible parts from the off. Have I imagined it? Or has the price of the 7800X3D jumped up by almost £100 over the past few months??

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,514.90 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Intention was to build it months ago but health has been all over the shop, so here I am again asking the same questions. Not worried about it being the absolute bang for buck. I just need it to go together without major oversights or noobie ****-ups in picking incompatible parts from the off. Have I imagined it? Or has the price of the 7800X3D jumped up by almost £100 over the past few months??

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,514.90 (includes delivery: £0.00)​
Do you already have a psu and case? I see them and the cooler are missing

Have I imagined it? Or has the price of the 7800X3D jumped up by almost £100 over the past few months??
You're correct. That's why I usually put the 9700X in my AM5 builds now, though the 9800X3D is due in a week or two.

You might as well get the 990 Pro, since it is currently cheaper.

That's looking a bit pricey for a 4070 Super.

Do you already have a psu and case? I see them and the cooler are missing
Sorry. Should have mentioned. Case, Power supply and Cooler are already in hand and piled up in the spare bedroom. (A-mATX, Gigabyte UD 850W, Thermalright PS 120SE)
You're correct. That's why I usually put the 9700X in my AM5 builds now, though the 9800X3D is due in a week or two.

You might as well get the 990 Pro, since it is currently cheaper.

That's looking a bit pricey for a 4070 Super.
I'll have a look at the 990Pro in the morning. To be honest I've just picked stuff from the approved vendor kit on the motherboard website.

"That's looking a bit pricey for a 4070 Super." Any suggestions as to an alternative?

Nothing wrong with it, looks like a standard build except i would get one of the newer AMD cpu`s if spending the best part of £450

Have I imagined it? Or has the price of the 7800X3D jumped up by almost £100 over the past few months??
Correct, back in June time it was £315 when I was looking at them then (waiting for the 9x00 processors before buying).

Now its £439.99

Due to this I am waiting for Black Friday next month or seeing what the 9800X3D is like

build wise, it looks fine. Whats the 980 for? Games or OS drive?

Could get the cheaper NVME drive if its just for storage, the WD SN770 for £104.99

Last edited:
It's now literally just short of its launch RRP (£450). Ryzen 9000 disappointed many gamers which meant demand for 7800X3D soared - thus did its price. Definitely hold out for 9800X3D, see where that lands and how it changes pricing. Personally, I would be a little sick inside paying £439 for a 7800X3D today.

SN850X over the 980 Pro is a good shout if it's cheaper. There is no real world difference between NVMe drives and the speeds they are hitting nowadays. It's wisest to buy the cheapest drive from a reputable brand in the capacity that you need.

Had a little muse over what I actually need vs what the heart wants. I'm upgrading from an ancient i5-760 and a1050Ti so anything will be hopefully be a huge improvement. I'm not a huge gamer but would like to be able to run 1080p maxed out. So really what CPU/GPU would achieve that?

I picked out the 7800X3D because it was noted for it's power efficiency and impressive gaming performance. But that was when it could be picked up for £350, not the almost £450 is is now. It no longer looks the bargain it was. Re graphics cards what's the cheapest option to get 1080p with max settings performance at decent frame rates? Do I even need a 4070Super to achieve what I need?

Would this build meet my needs?

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,332.89 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Last edited:
I picked out the 7800X3D because it was noted for it's power efficiency and impressive gaming performance. But that was when it could be picked up for £350, not the almost £450 is is now. It no longer looks the bargain it was.
If you're getting the 7700, I'd consider imports because it is MUCH cheaper, £300 I'd say is way overpriced for this CPU now.

Re graphics cards what's the cheapest option to get 1080p with max settings performance at decent frame rates? Do I even need a 4070Super to achieve what I need?
Depends on the games you plan to play, but the 4070 Super is really meant to be/marketed as a 1440p card. Personally, I'd consider spending £100 less on a 4070 non-Super, or even better the 7800 XT which you can get for £400ish, or even lower if you spot a deal.

Alternatively, a 6750 XT is £300 and that would be enough to smash the vast majority of games, except for the very newest AAA games with all the shinies.

The issue you have is that you are very likely to be CPU limited at 1080 with a 4070S which would make the 7800X3D a logical choice. The downside is how much its price has increased and whether it's worth that £150 premium. What refresh rate are you trying to achieve and what games are you playing?

I would still wait for the 9800X3D as it's only a few weeks away. You can can always order the build excluding the CPU and decide on that once 9800X3D launches.

I would still wait for the 9800X3D as it's only a few weeks away. You can can always order the build excluding the CPU and decide on that once 9800X3D launches.
I would wait for BF sales, got a feeling the 7800X3D price will drop to previous level.

Also, if you buy the rest of the kit now you will lose the 14 day DSR/cooling off period.

If you're getting the 7700, I'd consider imports because it is MUCH cheaper, £300 I'd say is way overpriced for this CPU now.

Depends on the games you plan to play, but the 4070 Super is really meant to be/marketed as a 1440p card. Personally, I'd consider spending £100 less on a 4070 non-Super, or even better the 7800 XT which you can get for £400ish, or even lower if you spot a deal.

Alternatively, a 6750 XT is £300 and that would be enough to smash the vast majority of games, except for the very newest AAA games with all the shinies.
Not sure I'd be comfortable going down the import route, but that's just me. With a little shopping around you can source it for £285 ish anyway.
I run an old 1080p/60Hz monitor, that is something else that needs looking at. I had a little look and 1440/180Hz can be had for under £200.

The issue you have is that you are very likely to be CPU limited at 1080 with a 4070S which would make the 7800X3D a logical choice. The downside is how much its price has increased and whether it's worth that £150 premium. What refresh rate are you trying to achieve and what games are you playing?

If the prices drop for the 7800X3D with the release of the 9800X3D, I think that would still probably be my choice. Unless it's a huge bump up in performance in the 9800.
I would wait for BF sales, got a feeling the 7800X3D price will drop to previous level.

Also, if you buy the rest of the kit now you will lose the 14 day DSR/cooling off period.
Reason I bought the power supply, etc. Was to give me a kick into actually starting the build. But BF may be a good call, especially as it gives me another 4 weeks to keep faffing with what I really want. (Been dithering for months anyway)
Game wise, I don't do FPS anymore. Most tend to be builders Like Satisfactory, Planet Crafter, NMS, SubNautica. All pretty lightweight and undemanding on the PC. But it would be nice to run everything on "Ultimate" and enjoy.

Last edited:
Not sure I'd be comfortable going down the import route, but that's just me. With a little shopping around you can source it for £285 ish anyway.
I run an old 1080p/60Hz monitor, that is something else that needs looking at. I had a little look and 1440/180Hz can be had for under £200.

If the prices drop for the 7800X3D with the release of the 9800X3D, I think that would still probably be my choice. Unless it's a huge bump up in performance in the 9800.

Reason I bought the power supply, etc. Was to give me a kick into actually starting the build. But BF may be a good call, especially as it gives me another 4 weeks to keep faffing with what I really want. (Been dithering for months anyway)
Game wise, I don't do FPS anymore. Most tend to be builders Like Satisfactory, Planet Crafter, NMS, SubNautica. All pretty lightweight and undemanding on the PC. But it would be nice to run everything on "Ultimate" and enjoy.
Based on those games, pretty much any modern gpu will power through them at 1080p to be honest.

Monitors aren't that much nowadays and if you're spending £1500, you could definitely squeeze in a really good pc plus a 1440p 144hz+ monitor and a gpu to complement it, at 1440p the x3d is less of a 'need' and more of a want if you got something like a 7600x.

Last edited:
I can understand not wanting to import, but I definitely wouldn't pay that much.

The max I'd consider for one would be around £250. There was a short deal a few weeks ago even in the UK, where you could get UK stock (7700X) from a large store for ~£220.

I can understand not wanting to import, but I definitely wouldn't pay that much.

The max I'd consider for one would be around £250. There was a short deal a few weeks ago even in the UK, where you could get UK stock (7700X) from a large store for ~£220.
Just looking to see what is out there earlier today. A couple of places have the 7700X at around the £265 mark. I've hang fire and see what BF deals materialise. Your £220 doesn't look far off the mark. I'll also see if the 7800X3D can get back down below £340-50

I'll also see if the 7800X3D can get back down below £340-50
Unfortunately, it is looking increasingly likely that AMD have discontinued the 7800X3D and the 9700X is being pushed into that price bracket instead. I hope we're wrong.

A couple of places have the 7700X at around the £265 mark. I've hang fire and see what BF deals materialise. Your £220 doesn't look far off the mark.
I feel very confident it'll be available at that price again before Christmas :D

Back
Top Bottom