Anyway to get this PSU to work?

Associate
I've got a server psu specifically a Etasis EFRP-2603 (600w) that I want to power a 4850x2 with which was kindly donated by Ba.

The PSU has 3 12v rails at 17a each but no PCI-e connectors. I am assuming the rails are split into 24pin on one rail, 4 pin and 8 pin on another and molex on the third.

I can't find any info on the current needed by the card but a few reviews say it uses 230w so under 20a. If this was split over 2 rails the PSU should be plenty.

My plan is to splice the spare 8 pin CPU power into the 8 pin PCI-e on the card and run the 6 pin PCI-e off a molex adapter.

So what do you lot think?

1. Should work

2. Stupid idea you'll cause a fire or kill the components

Rest of the system is a core2duo, one stick of ram and a mech hdd.

Associate
OP
Thanks the replies :) The PSU has over volt/current/power and short circuit protection so can't help but think what's the worst that can happen. I'm sure I've got a little fire extinguisher somewhere :D

Associate
I have ordered some atx12v extensions that I am going to modify to go from atx12v to pcie.
Doing it to power a titan x in the new rig looks simple and would probably suit your needs for the 8 pin pcie power.
Im going to extract the pins and re-pin into a pcie connector robbed from an old psu.

Associate
OP
I have ordered some atx12v extensions that I am going to modify to go from atx12v to pcie.
Doing it to power a titan x in the new rig looks simple and would probably suit your needs for the 8 pin pcie power.
Im going to extract the pins and re-pin into a pcie connector robbed from an old psu.

That's a lot neater solution than what I've done. I just cut the wires, soldered a pci-e 8 pin on and heatshrinked it. Had to make a molex to sata as well as I couldn't find one in the house.

It's all booted up fine and I'm currently installing Windows. Will see if it copes when the card has got load on it.

Just finished a couple of Moo wrapper WUs and all seems well :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom