AOC AGON AG353UCG

Associate
OP
I haven’t received mine yet but arriving soon,

I’m planning to use it with my work laptop for coding and meetings. I also have a list of hdr games to try. I am however concerned with the fan and the VA pixel response (coming from 144hz benq TN) as I still play relatively competitive games - not pro but higher than average.

Is the fan noticeable in day to day use? I use open back headphones while gaming and my PC is not loud but not silent either.

Hoping I will keep it.
You won't hear it when gaming, especially with headphones on. As I mentioned, it's like a laptop fan in pitch and volume - it probably won't bother most, but my rig is almost inaudible when I'm not gaming, and I can hear it over the sort of music I listen to.

I guess only you can make the judgment - unbox it carefully and try it out, I suppose! Everyone has different definitions of tolerable.

Associate
OP
Overclockers made me jump through some hoops to get it past their returns police (audio recordings, three phone calls) but it's on its way back sadly. The first guy I spoke to said he was completely unaware any monitors had cooling fans, and the guy who listened to the audio clip later on said in disbelief "And that's coming from the MONITOR?" :D

Associate
Overclockers made me jump through some hoops to get it past their returns police (audio recordings, three phone calls) but it's on its way back sadly. The first guy I spoke to said he was completely unaware any monitors had cooling fans, and the guy who listened to the audio clip later on said in disbelief "And that's coming from the MONITOR?" :D

Any chance you can share that audio clip? I'm actually curious now as to how it sounds.

I've had the same PSU for 9 years now. Back then it was brilliant (700W modular) but it's showing signs of age, namely sounding like an helicopter, despite being inside a NZXT silent case. :D I can't imagine a monitor being louder but I'm definitely keen to find out!

Associate
OP
Any chance you can share that audio clip? I'm actually curious now as to how it sounds.

I've had the same PSU for 9 years now. Back then it was brilliant (700W modular) but it's showing signs of age, namely sounding like an helicopter, despite being inside a NZXT silent case. :D I can't imagine a monitor being louder but I'm definitely keen to find out!

Listen to 2020_12_01_15_49_25.mp3 by PabloDiver on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/UBEs

The mic was right next to the vent, so the volume is exaggerated, but it gives you an idea of the nature of the noise. It's not as loud as that in real life, but it's audible when doing anything other than gaming.

Associate
Listen to 2020_12_01_15_49_25.mp3 by PabloDiver on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/UBEs

The mic was right next to the vent, so the volume is exaggerated, but it gives you an idea of the nature of the noise. It's not as loud as that in real life, but it's audible when doing anything other than gaming.

Thanks for that! It is an uncanny sound to have on your desk :O

I wonder if OcUK will relist it and, if so, near the Black Friday price or "normal" price...

Associate
It is both funny and sad to see this thread! Partially on/off topic rant incoming!
I had selected this monitor knowing about the noise complaints as I use closed cup headphones 100% of the time on my PC, I can't even hear my door bell with these on so I was 99.9% confident that a little fan noise was something I can live with easily.

Clicked purchase on Black Friday when I saw the deal and several units left. Stopped looking for deals elsewhere as OCUK and bank card showed that the transaction had gone through and the stock indicator on the OCUK site incremented down by one surely corresponding to my order so happy days. Or so I thought! Assumed there might be a delay in delivery so didn't think much of a day or two delay.

Got a bit concerned about continued delay in delivery after wednesday came around so had a browse on forums and was surprised to see that someone on here had been able to order a day later, receive and return the same item before I had even gotten a delivery note for mine.

Contacted support and finally got a reply today (8 days later) telling me that they can no longer supply it due to a "stocking error"...

I guess I'll have to fill my christmas stocking with stock from elsewhere without any deals!

Associate
OP
It is both funny and sad to see this thread! Partially on/off topic rant incoming!
I had selected this monitor knowing about the noise complaints as I use closed cup headphones 100% of the time on my PC, I can't even hear my door bell with these on so I was 99.9% confident that a little fan noise was something I can live with easily.

Clicked purchase on Black Friday when I saw the deal and several units left. Stopped looking for deals elsewhere as OCUK and bank card showed that the transaction had gone through and the stock indicator on the OCUK site incremented down by one surely corresponding to my order so happy days. Or so I thought! Assumed there might be a delay in delivery so didn't think much of a day or two delay.

Got a bit concerned about continued delay in delivery after wednesday came around so had a browse on forums and was surprised to see that someone on here had been able to order a day later, receive and return the same item before I had even gotten a delivery note for mine.

Contacted support and finally got a reply today (8 days later) telling me that they can no longer supply it due to a "stocking error"...

I guess I'll have to fill my christmas stocking with stock from elsewhere without any deals!
Given their error, could you persuade them to sell you the open box one they have in stock for the Black Friday price?

Associate
I've already contacted them to see what can be done to restore my holiday cheer!
I'm hopeful for a nice response as losing out on this was a complete bummer end to a long and crazy working week. My gf was also not pleased as it was meant to be her gift back to me for buying her a laptop (also from OCUK)! She isn't likely to throw another 1000 pounds my way!

On the b-grade idea its a thought but I'm not convinced to be without the 3 year warranty for such an expensive item.

Associate
Update I did indeed receive my ag353ucg - it’s a huge upgrade for me - the VA blacks are great and the resolution is nice. I haven’t noticed much ghosting/smearing and the colours look good to me too. HDR is stunning looks really great in videos and games (haven’t tested many games - on a 1060 waiting 3080), build quality is also good.

Some annoyances though:

- Fan - louder than I’d have hoped and runs at max at all times for me - comparable to a loud laptop fan - for me while annoying I usually forget about it when gaming/watching movies. I listened to the soundcloud clip and mine sounds exactly like that.

• ⁠I can’t get 200hz to work - I enabled it in the OSD but I only see 180 - custom resolutions cause DP to go to no signal
• ⁠FPS mode works well but cannot change brightness from 500.
• ⁠from MacBook via av adapter with HDMI I only receive 60hz instead of 100hz this might be the adapter/hdmi limit.

Associate
Update I did indeed receive my ag353ucg - it’s a huge upgrade for me - the VA blacks are great and the resolution is nice. I haven’t noticed much ghosting/smearing and the colours look good to me too. HDR is stunning looks really great in videos and games (haven’t tested many games - on a 1060 waiting 3080), build quality is also good.

Some annoyances though:

- Fan - louder than I’d have hoped and runs at max at all times for me - comparable to a loud laptop fan - for me while annoying I usually forget about it when gaming/watching movies. I listened to the soundcloud clip and mine sounds exactly like that.

• ⁠I can’t get 200hz to work - I enabled it in the OSD but I only see 180 - custom resolutions cause DP to go to no signal
• ⁠FPS mode works well but cannot change brightness from 500.
• ⁠from MacBook via av adapter with HDMI I only receive 60hz instead of 100hz this might be the adapter/hdmi limit.

Tried HDR? Overall this looks like a winner for those who got it for 999 - despite the fan

Back
Top Bottom