AOC Any Good Yet?

Soldato
As the title really is anyone still playing AOC, and has the quality inproved?

I never bought it due to having a old rig, I'm going to be upgrading in a few months and am a fan of the Robert E Howard books so was looking forward to playing this. Since the reviews on release were largely negative, I was wondering if any big improvements have been made now it's had time to Mature.

Soldato
CEO sold loads of his shares. Certain people who were working on it now aren't and the game is complete rubbish. Still no DX10 even though it's actually advertised on the box. Personally I would never touch another game by Funcom.

M.

Soldato
At the price you can get it for at the moment (I've seen it for €7.50) it's worth getting purely for the first 20 levels, which are really well done. All kind of falls apart after that, but up to that point it's quite entertaining.

Soldato
At the price you can get it for at the moment (I've seen it for €7.50) it's worth getting purely for the first 20 levels, which are really well done. All kind of falls apart after that, but up to that point it's quite entertaining.

This. Anyone who bought it today would play the first 20 levels thinking it was awesome and wondering what all the hate was about... then they would leave tortage :(

It was a pretty genius strategy on their part though, they obviously knew they had no game after years of development so just threw everything into the first few to hook everyone in, which the 20 level limited beta did perfectly.

Soldato
Even the first 20 levels weren't brilliant. The day/night thing was annoying to say the least and all the bloody zoning arrrgh!

M.

Soldato
OP
Thats the big disapointment from what I've read. The books paint such a wonderful picture, and the game sounds like it's failed to live up to it

Soldato
I think most people are coming to the sad reliasation that nothing is going to beat wow...

Something will, just not an unfinished MMO. People seem to think that to beat WoW you need something atleast as polished and overflowing with content as WotLK. Which isn't true. Players can see if there is a game in it or not whether or not its fleshed out with several expansions worth of content or theres a few bugs here and there...

AoC had no end game and the further you go past 20 the more it becomes apparent.

WAR's endgame doesn't work, it literally didn't work until its first major patch (1.1) but even now its just not fun and looks like it would need a 100% overhaul of the way the keep sieges work to make it so, which would take years of patching / expansions.

Soldato
Thats the big disapointment from what I've read. The books paint such a wonderful picture, and the game sounds like it's failed to live up to it

I dunno, I've not really read many of the books but I think this is one of the things they got right.

The world itself looked and felt great, and the music was some of the best I've heard in a game, it really did help to create a good atmosphere. I remember when I first went to Khemi I thought it seemed a lot more like a real city than any of the places in WoW for example, with little winding streets and stuff.

Its just the game that was missing from all of this. :(

Soldato
i think they spun it as a 'server mergers' anyway it went from 50 to 18 worldwide

Aye, think theres about 5 EU ones now, down from about 20...and someone said to me the other day that the game wasn;t dying...really?

Shame as it had such potential, I gave it about 3 months before I gave up as I just got bored, fed up with some of the stupid design decisions, and the performance issues.

Associate
I tried playing my 80 Guardian again recently after about 4 months away and.. well it hasnt changed at all as best I can tell PvP is still weird and the mass PvP system still seems mostly broken. On top of that the new end game content that was being promised when I quit is apparnetly still a month or two off...

Back
Top Bottom