Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
Thanks for the wall of info harry5522. I think the biggest problem is that the majority of gaming oriented laptops available today are not intended to be used for gaming while running on battery power. They tend to throttle severely and become unusable. A battery that is small enough to fit in a laptop is not powerful enough to run the CPU and Nvidia GPU at their rated speed so they are designed to throttle.

Your log file shows that when BD PROCHOT is disabled, the CPU speed is OK. It is not dropping down to 800 MHz like it was before. If the CPU is not throttling then try logging the GPU speed with GPU-Z or a similar monitoring program. The GPU is likely throttling.

EDP OTHER lighting up in red in ThrottleStop means the CPU has reached its Electrical Design Point which is often times the Current Limit. If this is only lighting up in red when on battery power then it is likely that this laptop reduces the Current Limit on battery power to protect the battery from damage. Trying to force a laptop to run beyond this limit while on battery power is going to be dangerous to your battery and ultimately to your laptop if the battery catches on fire.

When using ThrottleStop for undervolting, you need to specifically under volt the CPU Core and CPU Cache equally. If you do not do this, your under volt will be ignored. Your screenshot shows 0 for the CPU Cache under volt.

When Overclock is not checked in the FIVR window, your CPU will use its default maximum multipliers.

1 Core Active - 36
2 Cores Active - 34
3 Cores Active - 32
4 Cores Active - 32

The only thing that might help is using ThrottleStop to try and reduce power consumption. This can help free up some power for the GPU but if the GPU still wants to throttle, there might not be anything you can do.

Try checking off the Disable Turbo option in ThrottleStop. This should limit your CPU to a maximum multiplier of 27.

Your screenshot above shows Package Power consumption at 13.8 Watts when your CPU is mostly idle. It should be just over 2 Watts. This could indicate that you have disabled some of the low power C States. If your bios has this option, make sure that C States and C7 are enabled. With your CPU idle at the desktop, click on the ThrottleStop C7 button to open up the C States window. When idle, you should be seeing something like this for C State activity.

http://i.imgur.com/KB85Wl3.png

The game you are trying to play is not overly CPU demanding so having unused cores sitting idle in C7 will help save power.

One thing I noticed in your log was that the VID voltage is jumping up excessively to 1.26 V. I am not sure if this CPU supports using a Static voltage but if it does, with turbo boost enabled, your CPU should be able to run its default turbo multipliers reliably with a maximum voltage of 1.05 V. Try setting both the CPU Core and CPU Cache to this Static voltage. You can also try lowering the Maximum CPU Cache ratio to free up some more power.

In the Options window, click on the Add Limit Reasons to Log File option. This will give you a better idea when EDP OTHER is showing up and for how long. It might cycle on and off. If you have any success with any of this, try using www.pastebin.com to Copy and Paste some log file data to. This site preserves the log file formatting so it is easier to read then just post a link here.

You might also want to try using Nvidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner to adjust your GPU speed if your GPU is supported. Under clocking your GPU might save some power and prevent your GPU from jumping off the throttling cliff. You need to try and find a CPU and GPU speed that your laptop can consistently run at. When on battery power, you might be limited to only using the Intel GPU.

Soldato
Thanks for the wall of info harry5522. I think the biggest problem is that the majority of gaming oriented laptops available today are not intended to be used for gaming while running on battery power. They tend to throttle severely and become unusable. A battery that is small enough to fit in a laptop is not powerful enough to run the CPU and Nvidia GPU at their rated speed so they are designed to throttle.

Your log file shows that when BD PROCHOT is disabled, the CPU speed is OK. It is not dropping down to 800 MHz like it was before. If the CPU is not throttling then try logging the GPU speed with GPU-Z or a similar monitoring program. The GPU is likely throttling.

EDP OTHER lighting up in red in ThrottleStop means the CPU has reached its Electrical Design Point which is often times the Current Limit. If this is only lighting up in red when on battery power then it is likely that this laptop reduces the Current Limit on battery power to protect the battery from damage. Trying to force a laptop to run beyond this limit while on battery power is going to be dangerous to your battery and ultimately to your laptop if the battery catches on fire.

When using ThrottleStop for undervolting, you need to specifically under volt the CPU Core and CPU Cache equally. If you do not do this, your under volt will be ignored. Your screenshot shows 0 for the CPU Cache under volt.

When Overclock is not checked in the FIVR window, your CPU will use its default maximum multipliers.

1 Core Active - 36
2 Cores Active - 34
3 Cores Active - 32
4 Cores Active - 32

The only thing that might help is using ThrottleStop to try and reduce power consumption. This can help free up some power for the GPU but if the GPU still wants to throttle, there might not be anything you can do.

Try checking off the Disable Turbo option in ThrottleStop. This should limit your CPU to a maximum multiplier of 27.

Your screenshot above shows Package Power consumption at 13.8 Watts when your CPU is mostly idle. It should be just over 2 Watts. This could indicate that you have disabled some of the low power C States. If your bios has this option, make sure that C States and C7 are enabled. With your CPU idle at the desktop, click on the ThrottleStop C7 button to open up the C States window. When idle, you should be seeing something like this for C State activity.

http://i.imgur.com/KB85Wl3.png

The game you are trying to play is not overly CPU demanding so having unused cores sitting idle in C7 will help save power.

One thing I noticed in your log was that the VID voltage is jumping up excessively to 1.26 V. I am not sure if this CPU supports using a Static voltage but if it does, with turbo boost enabled, your CPU should be able to run its default turbo multipliers reliably with a maximum voltage of 1.05 V. Try setting both the CPU Core and CPU Cache to this Static voltage. You can also try lowering the Maximum CPU Cache ratio to free up some more power.

In the Options window, click on the Add Limit Reasons to Log File option. This will give you a better idea when EDP OTHER is showing up and for how long. It might cycle on and off. If you have any success with any of this, try using www.pastebin.com to Copy and Paste some log file data to. This site preserves the log file formatting so it is easier to read then just post a link here.

You might also want to try using Nvidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner to adjust your GPU speed if your GPU is supported. Under clocking your GPU might save some power and prevent your GPU from jumping off the throttling cliff. You need to try and find a CPU and GPU speed that your laptop can consistently run at. When on battery power, you might be limited to only using the Intel GPU.

Hi unclewebb thanks for the information

Interesting that the log does not show the cpu throttling to 800mhz, as it was being show in the ui of TS

"you need to specifically under volt the CPU Core and CPU Cache equally.!" Thanks for that information, i have adjusted accordingly. And i have also set it to static voltage @1.0400 will fine tune going forward.

In regards to the C states, unfortunately the bioses on these are really restrictive. IE no overclocking/tools in the bios at all.

added the detail to logging. Going to give it a whirl now. Will update shortly.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi atom80,

What about Switzerland or more realistically Germany?

I'm at the verge to order it. This may very well finalize my decision.

P.S. hello to everyone, this is also my first post but hopefully I'll be able to give feedback on the x5 v7 cf1 if I can proceed my purchase

Hi poiuzz - yes we sell in Germany, Caseking.de are the main distributor and re-seller for AORUS - if you contact them, they will advise on skus coming in, and lead times. Or you can order from OcUK of course,,,,, but with UK keyboard :)

Let us know if you can't find details and we will contact our German colleagues.

Regards,

Team AORUS

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
I managed to grab the last x5 v7-cf1 that was available last night and will get it tomorrow so i am looking forward to trying it out :D

Grown bored of my 2012 Macbook pro so thought it was time for an upgrade.

Yay, good timing, the stock literally lasted 12hours !

There are a few more units, hopefully landing by Friday, so for the CF1 sku, we strongly suggest placing pre-orders asap to stand chance of securing one.

Thanks for your order, and we look forward to hearing your feedback.

Reagrds,

Team AORUS

Soldato
So i put the static voltage back onto adaptive as it locks the system up instantly.

Here is log file :).

I think im getting close to just dropping this now. It's becoming clear to me now that gaming laptops aren't supposed to be used for gaming. Bit funny having a £2000 laptop that cant keep 15fps on the battery. Do wish this was more clearly illustrated in marketing.

Associate
So i put the static voltage back onto adaptive as it locks the system up instantly.

Here is log file :).

I think im getting close to just dropping this now. It's becoming clear to me now that gaming laptops aren't supposed to be used for gaming. Bit funny having a £2000 laptop that cant keep 15fps on the battery. Do wish this was more clearly illustrated in marketing.

Bit of a daft and obvious question but have you checked out the battery configuration under the Nvidia control panel? It's usually under GeForce Experience coming to think of it...

I ran into a similar FPS issue on a different laptop (Aero 15 - Unigine battery / performance test) not long ago where by default it was set to limit it to 30FPS on battery from what I discovered, and I'm sure it's set by default on most or if not all laptops as you have to change the dial in there from like optimize on battery to full performance on battery. Once I did that I was able to achieve higher FPS.

However from experience I never game while on battery, laptops can tend to struggle to obtain maximum power draw when required for the CPU and overall GPU performance is still limited - at the end of the day I believe the power brick's job is to also regulate the overall power draw & supply, and not to only charge the laptop's battery. A lot of laptops out there nowadays struggle to last for over an hour when attempting to game on battery too.

One last thing, I hope you don't have to return your Aorus and can get around the issues but speaking from experience gaming laptops such as ones like these will have mediocre battery life at best due to them only having a dedicated GPU, and no integrated (Intel) GPU to fall back on when in Windows to save on the battery life.

Liam.

Permabanned
Hi poiuzz - yes we sell in Germany, Caseking.de are the main distributor and re-seller for AORUS - if you contact them, they will advise on skus coming in, and lead times. Or you can order from OcUK of course,,,,, but with UK keyboard :)

Let us know if you can't find details and we will contact our German colleagues.

Regards,

Team AORUS
Thanks Atom80,

So does the Aorus UK keyboard shows the blue and red characters like this?
UK-Intl%20WEur%20kb%20(v1.2).png

Could the keys be swapped later & Is it possible to purchase the keys separately?

(Already have 2 different keyboards, 3 may drive me mad lol...)

Or is it possible to pre-order with a particular keyboard? (Switzerland is different than UK, Germany, France, so I'm a bit in a situation here....)

EDIT: Casking doesn't have any date and didn't try to give any solution on his reply...

Last edited:
Associate
Hey @Atom80.

Just wanted to let you know my x5v7 cf1 has arrived, just setting it up as I type. Sorry for hassling you regarding delivery, i know you're not directly responsible for the information you relay but in future i think lessons could be learnt.

first impressions are good, the screen seems pretty nice but i am used to my messed up 1080p gigabyte screen! Keyboard seems good, I've tested all the keys and they respond well, no issues like other users of the x5v6 seem to have had. They have a fair amount of travel and good feed back. most of the keys sound good there are a few exceptions like the v and b key and the numpad 7 & 4 which sound different when taped but not so much that it matters, think it might have something to do with their proximity to the space key and enter key respectively.

For those interested in bench marks i'm not the right person, i don't game but use these kinds of laptops for graphics/cad work, so long as it gets the job done with out blowing up like my W series Thinkpad i'm a happy camper!

p.s the UK keyboard does not have the Blue and Red symbols.

Associate
Just a quick question. My network seems a little slow (x5v7 killer 1535), I've done some comparison network speed tests using my phone and laptop, with the laptop connected to the same wifi and via Ethernet. My phone hits a download of 46Mb but the laptop, both on wifi and Ethernet, maxes out at circa 16Mb. I've done this several times and get roughly the same results each time. My colleague has a X3 V7 and has had loads of issues with his killer wifi, slow network speeds and disconnection, is this normal? I have updated the drivers but get the same results. Any advice would be appreciated as I've seen that quite a few people using different machines with Killer have switched out there killer to over come these issues.

Cheers,

Sam

Associate
Just a quick question. My network seems a little slow (x5v7 killer 1535), I've done some comparison network speed tests using my phone and laptop, with the laptop connected to the same wifi and via Ethernet. My phone hits a download of 46Mb but the laptop, both on wifi and Ethernet, maxes out at circa 16Mb. I've done this several times and get roughly the same results each time. My colleague has a X3 V7 and has had loads of issues with his killer wifi, slow network speeds and disconnection, is this normal? I have updated the drivers but get the same results. Any advice would be appreciated as I've seen that quite a few people using different machines with Killer have switched out there killer to over come these issues.

Cheers,

Sam

ok so weirdly it's speeded up but if I do the test through the killer control centre it is slower than if I do it though the Bing speed test! I monitor this for the time being.

Permabanned
ok so weirdly it's speeded up but if I do the test through the killer control centre it is slower than if I do it though the Bing speed test! I monitor this for the time being.

Argh.... so this is a known issue for long time and still no fix...? :confused:

I specially need to broadcast in good quality so what is the point to give a software for that with the laptop if this killer control slows everything down...?

Associate
Argh.... so this is a known issue for long time and still no fix...? :confused:

I specially need to broadcast in good quality so what is the point to give a software for that with the laptop if this killer control slows everything down...?

In the past 3-4 years I've had multiple Killer issues. Different issues with different laptops.... It's so annoying that I immediately swap out the card for an Intel one the second I get the machine. I'm sure the issues can probably be fixed with drivers, but I'd rather take 20 minutes to swap to an Intel card and have zero future problems, rather than spend countless hours fiddling with the software.

Permabanned
In the past 3-4 years I've had multiple Killer issues. Different issues with different laptops.... It's so annoying that I immediately swap out the card for an Intel one the second I get the machine. I'm sure the issues can probably be fixed with drivers, but I'd rather take 20 minutes to swap to an Intel card and have zero future problems, rather than spend countless hours fiddling with the software.
So there is an Intel card that do the same? Or just a normal one that don't manage like the killer one?

Associate
@Atom80 It looks like the US and UK dates are pretty much aligned. I was wondering when you guys were receiving the x7 v7 4k version. I've heard mid-July but unfortunately the rep on the US site is very unresponsive, so I figured I'd ask you. We have preorders available for multiple x5 and x7 models but none of them are with a 4k screen yet.

Associate
So there is an Intel card that do the same? Or just a normal one that don't manage like the killer one?

I use an Intel AC 8260. Once it's installed, Windows installs the driver automatically and you can disable the Killer software. Honestly, I don't broadcast so I don't know which one would be better for you. All I can say is my connection is always rock solid and I cap my ISP at 90mbps pretty much everywhere in my house.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Thanks Atom80,

So does the Aorus UK keyboard shows the blue and red characters like this?
UK-Intl%20WEur%20kb%20(v1.2).png

Could the keys be swapped later & Is it possible to purchase the keys separately?

(Already have 2 different keyboards, 3 may drive me mad lol...)

Or is it possible to pre-order with a particular keyboard? (Switzerland is different than UK, Germany, France, so I'm a bit in a situation here....)

EDIT: Casking doesn't have any date and didn't try to give any solution on his reply...

Hi poiuzz,

Our keyboard is standard UK keyboard for UK models, French for France and German for Germany. We don't provide Swiss solution unfortunately. Its not possible to switch the keys.

Seems that France wont have product until August, and we don't know for Germany but I would expect sooner than France.

So that is the situation, hope it helps you make decision.

Regards,

Team AORUS

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi Atom!

As poiuzz I dont mind buying it on OC Uk as long as I can change key caps or order it in with a french layout keyboard :)!

Have a good day everyone!

Hi Organ,

If you want French keyboard layout, you will need to wait until goods arrive in France market - estimated a few weeks from now.

The spec coming into France is as follows:

• X5 V7 K2NW10-FR
  • 15.6" WQHD+ IPS G-SYNC / i7 7820 HK / GTX 1070 / 16 Go / 512 Go PCIe NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200 / Windows 10

Sorry cant offer any better news,

Regards,

Team AORUS

Back
Top Bottom