Apogee Universal Waterblock - AM4 Compatible?

Associate
I have an old school Apogee (I believe it's this Apogee GT) Waterblock that I was hoping might work well with a Ryzen 2700x & MSI Gaming Plus MAX but I thought I would ask here first to see if anyone knows if it will fit ;) and if it will cool good enough.

There are numerous holes in the original mounting plate and I even have a spare mounting plate that I can modify if needs be :p

Reference Material.

Swiftech Website Apogee GT = http://www.swiftech.com/apogeegt.aspx
Apogee Waterblock = https://www.overclockers.co.uk/swif...ket-462-754-939-940-am2-lga775-wc-026-sw.html
AM2 Mounting Plate = https://www.overclockers.co.uk/swiftech-apogee-am2-cpu-adaptor-kit-wc-024-sw.html
Review = http://martinsliquidlab.petrastech.com/Swiftech_Apogee_GT_Review.html

It is a very capable waterblock and cools my FX 8350 no problems so it should cope extremely well with a 2700x...

The Finished Product!

Last edited:
Soldato
Can`t help but i remembered i have one of these in the attic!:D
along with a Maze3
But i did make a plate to fit a nf7 mobo back in the day because originally the Apogee did not have fittings to fit at first release:)

Associate
OP
No worries, The search continues :D

I don't know of anywhere locally that would or could make a new plate for it or I would definitely ask for one to be made up :) The waterblock would still perform beautifully I recon.

The AM4 socket is only slightly different to AM3 which is so frustrating, So close yet so far! If I had the tools I would be on it in a flash ;)

Soldato
No worries, The search continues :D

I don't know of anywhere locally that would or could make a new plate for it or I would definitely ask for one to be made up :) The waterblock would still perform beautifully I recon.

The AM4 socket is only slightly different to AM3 which is so frustrating, So close yet so far! If I had the tools I would be on it in a flash ;)
You could probably get one laser cut. It doesn't need to be rock solid, just to hold the block down securely.

I've done it before, laminated 2x3mm acrylic layers as that's what I had in stock.

Soldato
A quick google helps me a little bit with laser cutting services :) Have you any ideas where I could get something like that made up?

Is it as simple as draw up a plan and send it to someone to get a quote? Or even send them as much info and pictures with with measurements as to what I need?
Exactly - many will be happy to take a diagram or measure the plate itself, and produce a vector file. But if you can make the file yourself it'd be cheaper. I use Inkscape which is free. Just a matter of learning the interface really :)

I do have access to a laser, might be able to try and make a plate if you can supply dimensions.

Associate
OP
Soldato
Great, that all makes sense. From what I can tell they're all unthreaded holes right?

Another consideration is screw length, i.e. will they be too short if using thicker plastic. We'll figure it out!

Associate
OP
Yes the holes are all unthreaded and only present for the different socket sizes and screw length would not matter much at all as I was considering small threaded bar if I didn't have the correct length.

Original Plate = https://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/sidewindercomputers/apogee8.jpg

AMD Plate = https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IwUAAOSwOdVcz0og/s-l1600.jpg

The original metal adapter plate's are both 2mm thick but very rigid, Almost zero flex but they do come with some small plastic stand offs that go under the plate and between the motherboard to stop anyone from screwing down too far potentially crushing the cpu.

In a couple of hours I will attempt to draw a plan of action using inkscape :D Wish me luck!

Soldato
You can do it!

Something to note is that the laser has a kerf, that is it removes some material either side of the line. Usually about 0.1-0.2mm

Usually fine for outside dimensions and I sometimes shrink holes by a bit to compensate.

Associate
OP
I can just about manage squares and circles too :) My best plan of action seems to be when I take the PC apart I can get accurate measurements of the waterblock, Bracket and socket holes etc and then I will try and draw something up by hand if possible :D

I'm just waiting for my new components to arrive (Any day now) and then I can take this PC apart and put the new one together with the stock cooler for a short while.

Soldato
You should be able to expand four of the holes in that to bodge a fit onto AM4, did that with my sons HK3 multi-fit plate and a needle file. You just need to play with mounting pressure for the best results after that.

Associate
OP
I did consider cutting out the holes to fit but I wasn't sure if I could live with a bodge job :D It would niggle away at me! Although that being said, There is time for that yet :p

I've tried to draw up some plans but it comes out a bit of a jumbled mess. It might help but if there is anything missing that you need to make one up just let me know and I'll get the measuring stick out again!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvXKFMR0ydLSjs47_v-7S2VT3wgQJA?e=hpkMMj

The only bit that is worrying is the large figure eight hole in the middle because I wasn't sure exactly how to measure it for you. It's 44mm long by 23mm wide at the largest points and 17mm in closer the center part... I hope that's clear on the pictures :) I wasn't sure how to lay it out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep that's all the right into. Critical measurements that I can use to figure stuff out :)

Honestly I do think filing out the existing holes might be the quickest and best solution - I've done that with socket 775 heatsinks to adapt them for 115x. You wouldn't know once they're installed. Might look better than some random black acrylic!

I think for the figure of eight bit, I would either make it just a long sided round shape, or have a conservative curve going into it. So long as the radius of the holes is 23mm and they're basically 2mm overlapped, it should be fine. As long as those inner holes line up for the mounting bolts.

What shape do you want for the outside? Just a rectangle like drawn? Or something vaguely stylised?

Can probably cut something midweek and post out Friday I think.

Associate
OP
Phew, I thought I would have missed something :D And honestly any excess material you can cut away would probably look awesome so long as it's rigid enough ;) So definitely style away.

The center of the waterblock is black too so it should mate up nicely and not look out of place but to be honest I will just be happy to use the old beast again and not have to retire it!

Do you want anything for your troubles? I have to ask :p It's only fair. It's more your project as it is mine :) I only drew the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom