App developers - need quick advice

Associate
I've just been quoted £6,000 to "host" a mobile app (Android and iPhone)

As far as i'm aware, hosting is for the "middleware" and only the front-end / gui gets installed on the iPhone - is this right?

this price seems crazy expensive for an app which is really pretty simple... has a few feeds, an API and the rest is just parsing a json file for content.

Does anyone have experience with this, or could recommend a place to look for app hosting? Could I use a normal server, e.g the server I host the website on?

Thanks guys ;)

how is your app communicating to the API?
in my experience these are just web URLs, and are therefore hosted on a normal webserver.

how is your app communicating to the API?
in my experience these are just web URLs, and are therefore hosted on a normal webserver.

i'll be getting a new app made (or learn to do it myself!). I can't see any reason why a web server wouldn't do the trick though?... never heard of a specific app hosting server :confused:

Have they given any indication of anticipated load / concurrent users / bandwidth usage? Any SLAs with regards to service uptime... Security concerns? Who's responsible for maintenance / admin (deploying updates etc)?

How long is the contract for? £6k for 12 months might be ok depending on answers to the above... but if they're expecting it to run forever, it's maybe not quite so attractive ^^

So, can I just chuck it on the same cloud server as my website will go on?

You will have to make sure your current web hosting supports whatever web service technology your app uses (PHP, .NET 4.0 etc) and also that you have the correct database type (MySQL, SQL Server etc).

This is presuming you need a web service for your app. Depends on what it does really.

Back
Top Bottom