Apple Iphone Exchange Activesync

Associate
I am having an nightmare trying to set this crappy iphone to sync with Exchange 2003!

I have followed so many different solutions and non of them work. Outlook Web Access and Mobile Access work great externally through a browser. The iphone when it trys and connects just gives an invalid password message even though the password is correct.

Are there any third party applications that can be easy to setup?

Thanks

Soldato
User error :D infact I've found they work a lot smoother than WM.

Either way, check your iis logs for more clues? Are you using a certificate? Is the account enabled for mobile use? Is "enable unsupported devices" enabled in exchange manager, have you got it setup on any other devices? Could be an issue exchange end and not iPhone related. What authentication is setup on the iis site?

Associate
OP
Are you using a certificate?

No

Is the account enabled for mobile use?

Yes

Is "enable unsupported devices" enabled in exchange manager

Yes

have you got it setup on any other devices?

No

What authentication is setup on the iis site?

just the default security. Any Ip address allowed access.

In the security logs I am getting the following message when I try and connect:

Logon Failure:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: JohnM
Domain: www.domainname.co.uk
Logon Type: 8
Logon Process: Advapi
Authentication Package: Negotiate
Workstation Name: SERVER
Caller User Name: NETWORK SERVICE
Caller Domain: NT AUTHORITY
Caller Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E4)
Caller Process ID: 8028
Transited Services: -
Source Network Address: 82.132.136.222
Source Port: 30252

Soldato
Check authentication for the vDIR in iis, this is how mine is setup (I use SSL though):

vdir.jpg

Could always try with another user...

Soldato
your domain name is the internal domain and server is your external address (MX record) that points to your exchange server.

As long as 443 is open and it's really recommended you have a SSL certficate (makes it a lot easier to setup)

He's not using ssl at the moment, and as he's getting the username and password state back i'd imagine there's no firewall issues.

Good shout on the setting on the iPhone itself, I assumed that part was the easy bit :p

On a side note, SSL certs can be had for cheap (I think I payed £20 each for ours). But lets not run before we can walk.

Associate
OP
Are you on exchange service pack 2?

Configuring IMAP for iPhone Sync with Microsoft Exchange 2003 - http://www.azaleos.com/blog/index.php?q=node/44

iPhone settings

E-mail – username@domain.***
Server – ip address
Domain – domain.local
Username – username
Password – your network password
Use SSL - ON

i have seen the imap thing mentioned elsewhere, but also heard reports that you don't need any of this to make it work?! :confused:

Associate
The iphone works pretty much identically to windows mobile. You dont need or want POP/IMAP or anything, the exchange support is built right in. Apple licensed the technology for exchange integration direct from microsoft about 2 years ago. It works exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom