Apple Mail vs. Outlook 2011

Associate
I've been using the Office from Mac 2011 betas for a while now... and I (sorry its a bit hard to say this...) think I prefer not only word and excel to the iwork offerings but also prefer the new outlook to apple mail :eek:

Outlook is lightning fast and nice to use but also I'm sick of mails from Apple Mail showing up in peoples Outlook inboxes (especially through Exchange) looking all font-knackered and with weird attachments...

What do you lot think?

Soldato
Couldn't agree more, especially for work.

Office 2011 on the Mac is a great platform. So much quicker than 2008.

Outlook itself is absolutely key to the whole thing. I now spend most of my day in Outlook 2011 rather than running 2007 in Parallels.

The formatting thing with iMail gets right on my nerves. You format longer emails to make them easier to read, with pictures and the like, and then iMail screws them for the receiver.

Associate
OP
Google it ;)

Outlook and Excel are the main reasons I will be moving over... Excel is so very much more powerful than Numbers its not funny, and Outlook and Mail are equal on usability and nice aesthetics etc with the massive bonus that you can be quite sure your mail will look as intended with most recipients (I don't think this is Apple's fault though, I think its Microsoft's for not showing the mail right... either way if it doesn't look right it doesn't look right...)

Definite purchase once its released ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't the formatting thing due to Outlook still using MS Word to render emails, rather than being a good citizen. That's the problem with Outlook 2007, how convenient that it makes emails from standardised mail clients look poop.

Associate
OP
Isn't the formatting thing due to Outlook still using MS Word to render emails, rather than being a good citizen. That's the problem with Outlook 2007, how convenient that it makes emails from standardised mail clients look poop.
Yeah like I said I highly doubt its Apple's fault...

Fact is, wether you like it or not most of the world (at least the business world) use Outlook...

Same issue as with IE for web developers, wether we like it or not, you have to cater for IE.

Microsoft annoy the crap out of me when it comes to stuff like this, but hey, you can either moan about it (like I have in the past) or just use Outlook, and with the release of 2011, that certainly isn't a painful option.

Soldato
Outlook is a ****** nightmare for using the Word engine to render emails. The design community was in uproar when they moved to that system with Outlook 2007 and they've done nothing about it for the 2010 edition.

Why is it that Apple and Mozilla can render emails using a browser engine yet Microsoft decide to use an engine designed for word processing! <sigh> It's not like it would be difficult to implement the IE8 engine either because Outlook prior to 2007 used the IE engine.

I don't care if half the world use it, it doesn't make it right.

Associate
I do hope Outlook will be as good as people are saying.
When I got my MBP I immediately bought Office 2008 for Entourage as I was coming from Outlook. After using Entourage for a couple of days found it absolutely horrible, even just having it sat there open so I moved over to Apple Mail and now I;m quite comfortable with it. Think going back to Outlook in Office 2011 will be like switching all over again.

Back
Top Bottom