Apple Pay Launch - How will it be activated?

Soldato
Can't add my Barclaycard American Express. Says the issuer is not supported.

EDIT - As above, it's because Barclaycard cashback accounts are not supported. How can Barclaycard keep getting this so wrong?!

Last edited:
Commissario
Why do you only have basic current accounts? Standard current accounts work fine.
Last time I asked for one, they wouldn't let me have it. I have a dreadful credit score at the moment and even though I've been with Barclays for about ten years and have never been overdrawn once with them, they still see me as a risk because I'm still paying off an old Barclaycard account. I'll be asking again though.

Soldato
Last time I asked for one, they wouldn't let me have it. I have a dreadful credit score at the moment and even though I've been with Barclays for about ten years and have never been overdrawn once with them, they still see me as a risk because I'm still paying off an old Barclaycard account. I'll be asking again though.

Hope you get some joy Feek. It still amazes me in this day and age that positive banking behaviour (long term customer, never been overdrawn) isn't taken into account rather than just relying on a credit score.

Associate
I noticed when I was buying petrol at my local Texaco last week that the machine was different and it said "Insert or tap card". I was buying £47 worth so obviously normal contactless wouldn't have worked. Am I right in thinking that this means I can use Apple Pay here for more than the normal £30 limit?

Soldato
I noticed when I was buying petrol at my local Texaco last week that the machine was different and it said "Insert or tap card". I was buying £47 worth so obviously normal contactless wouldn't have worked. Am I right in thinking that this means I can use Apple Pay here for more than the normal £30 limit?

Yes, if the terminal supports true Apple Pay.

Commissario
Only three companies in the UK allow purchases above £30 using Apple Pay (according to the man in the Lakeside Apple Store). Apple, Pret and Nando's. Of course, he could be wrong but I would expect Apple to know this.

Barclays will be losing me as a customer. After lengthy discussions with them and despite twelve years of faultless banking, they still won't offer me an account which will let me use Apple Pay. I'll be looking elsewhere next week.

Soldato
Only three companies in the UK allow purchases above £30 using Apple Pay (according to the man in the Lakeside Apple Store). Apple, Pret and Nando's. Of course, he could be wrong but I would expect Apple to know this.

Barclays will be losing me as a customer. After lengthy discussions with them and despite twelve years of faultless banking, they still won't offer me an account which will let me use Apple Pay. I'll be looking elsewhere next week.

Works in my local waitrose (paid for £70 shopping)

Soldato

Yes, if the terminal supports true Apple Pay.

Mobile phone use not allowed on the forecourt.

That Shell QR code thing tells you to scan it while still in the car.

Soldato

I believe Nationwide basic accounts allow Apple Pay if you have trouble getting a standard current account at another bank.

Back
Top Bottom