Apple Pay Launch - How will it be activated?

Soldato
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/07/barclays-apple-pay-uk-early-2016/

For a bank that claims to be leading in technology, this is embarrassing.

I was just about to post the same. Barclays confirmed in July that they would be anticipating 'Imminent' support for Apple Pay.
It's a bit laughable that 'Imminent' to Barclays means 6 months, it could possibly be even longer as there is no guarantee that 'Early 2016' means January.

Just a bit of a shambles all round.

I'm lucky as I have my debit card with another bank that already provides Apple Pay. It's just my Barclaycard I'd like to be able to use for flexibility, just feel sorry for Barclays Bank customers as they must feel like they are being left behind.

Last edited:

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Can anyone clarify?
Does Apple Pay work anywhere that has contactless, or only specific merchants as listed on the Apple website?
I thought is was only specific places but som articles suggest otherwise?
Feel a bit daft waving the phone around in case it doesn't work:p

Soldato
Can anyone clarify?
Does Apple Pay work anywhere that has contactless, or only specific merchants as listed on the Apple website?
I thought is was only specific places but som articles suggest otherwise?
Feel a bit daft waving the phone around in case it doesn't work:p

Should work anywhere that has contactless.

The page of retailer logos Apple had on their website when it was launched made it confusing as it made you think only those retailers accepted it.

Soldato
I'm using it now temporary on underground as my contactless card has stopped working. I'm not finding it very smooth. Sometimes it will only work if I double tap home when to in standby and then some days only when I hold it close and it asks for the finger print.

Soldato
My old iPhone 4 is very slow now, can press an app that I haven't used in a while and can takes ages to open up.

I suspect this is what will happen to the iPhone 6 after a few major iOS updates (as it did with iPhone 4). Which could result in waiting an age to pay in a shop or holding up the tube barrier queue while the phone waits to do it's thing.

Soldato
I'm on a 6S plus. It's absolutely fine at other terminals but the tube is not smooth. Happened again today. Couldn't use it when you hover over and finger print ID, tried few barriers. Had to do the standby and double click method. Want my contactless card back :(

Soldato
I suspect this is what will happen to the iPhone 6 after a few major iOS updates (as it did with iPhone 4). Which could result in waiting an age to pay in a shop or holding up the tube barrier queue while the phone waits to do it's thing.

You could do the finger print authentication before you reach the ticket barrier. Double tap the home button and hold your thumb down on the second tap then the phone will then say 'Hold near reader to pay' at which point the transaction seems as quick as using contactless.

Permabanned
I'm on a 6S plus. It's absolutely fine at other terminals but the tube is not smooth. Happened again today. Couldn't use it when you hover over and finger print ID, tried few barriers. Had to do the standby and double click method. Want my contactless card back :(

Just authorise the card before the barrier, it doesn't time out for 60 secs

Soldato
You could do the finger print authentication before you reach the ticket barrier. Double tap the home button and hold your thumb down on the second tap then the phone will then say 'Hold near reader to pay' at which point the transaction seems as quick as using contactless.

What I'm saying is in a few years time the iPhone 6 will be slow, sluggish, and bloated just like the old iPhone 4 is now. Where it takes an age to do anything, just like trying to play the latest most resource hungry game on a Pentium 3 with 128MB of RAM.

Soldato
I get what you're saying but I don't think you'll be holding up anyone in the shopping queue or holding up the queue at the ticket barriers as you can do the thumb print authorisation before you get to the point of putting your phone on the reader.

Soldato
Soldato
iPhone 6, just enabled Tesco MasterCard and Lloyds Visa Debit for Apple Pay.
Instructions seem to me a bit ambiguous, just to confirm, I need to open Passbook app, choose which card to use and holding the finger recognition key just hold the phone close to the terminal.
Does this sound right?

Associate
I've been using it since I got my 6S on release date, I find it great and really handy. People suggesting it would hold people up, not really as it's so much easier to take out my phone from my pocket, if it is not already in my hand anyway and present it, than to take out my wallet, open it, get out car, present it, put back in wallet, put wallet in pocket...

Associate
Asked at showcase cinemas if they take Apple Pay and the woman said they didn't. I then got my card out to pay by chip and pin when the woman said they take contactless. So I could have used Apple Pay after all!

Back
Top Bottom