Apple VR, coming 2022

Underboss
Soldato
One things for certain, it'll be expensive.

that will teach me to skim through articles instead of reading them properly!! They weren't deciding between cheap and expensive. They were deciding between expensive and super expensive!! :p

Last edited:
Soldato

Let’s for the fun of it believe the rumour - 8k x 8k PER EYE if that is to be believed.... if that’s the case then $3000 is an absolute steal compared to what’s available for enterprise.

One assumes it must have some sort of foveated rendering to make driving such displays feasible, even running my measly 2k x 2k per eye G2 is a challenge.

Anyway, interested to see what a company with Apple’s resources can bring to market in this area even if I’m not necessarily going to be buying one. Anything that drives the tech forwards is a good thing in my book.

Soldato
One assumes it must have some sort of foveated rendering to make driving such displays feasible.

Anyway, interested to see what a company with Apples resources can bring to market in this area even if I’m not necessarily going to be buying one. Anything that drives the tech forwards is a good thing in my book.

Supposedly it's going to use eye tracking to remove the need to run the entire display at 8k resolution.

Agreed, I'm keen to see what Apple can bring to VR. It's well known they're mobile processors are basically the best on the market in terms of power/performance so they should be ideal for a standalone VR headset.

Likewise, they're one of the few companies large enough to create and support an ecosystem platform for VR.

I could be tempted by an apple VR headset but not if it's priced at £3k!

Soldato
Let’s for the fun of it believe the rumour - 8k x 8k PER EYE if that is to be believed.... if that’s the case then $3000 is an absolute steal compared to what’s available for enterprise.

One assumes it must have some sort of foveated rendering to make driving such displays feasible, even running my measly 2k x 2k per eye G2 is a challenge.

Anyway, interested to see what a company with Apple’s resources can bring to market in this area even if I’m not necessarily going to be buying one. Anything that drives the tech forwards is a good thing in my book.

Agreed, $3k is a lot of money but if it's 8k per eye... then $3k is dirt cheap for that

Soldato
Supposedly it's going to use eye tracking to remove the need to run the entire display at 8k resolution.

Agreed, I'm keen to see what Apple can bring to VR. It's well known they're mobile processors are basically the best on the market in terms of power/performance so they should be ideal for a standalone VR headset.

Likewise, they're one of the few companies large enough to create and support an ecosystem platform for VR.

I could be tempted by an apple VR headset but not if it's priced at £3k!

They're apparently powering the headset with their M1 processor or possibly the next gen M2. It will make for quite a good stand alone wireless experience that on paper would very easily beat the pants off any other standalone headsets today.

For reference the XR2 GPU in the Quest 2 is rated for 1.2tflops, Apple's M1 GPU is already double that and the M2 no doubt will be even greater. I don't know how fast the CPU in XR2 is but the M1 is faster than Intel CPUs in $5k MacBooks so there's that

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom