Apple's current direction

Man of Honour
Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products, but I'm not one of these freaks that thinks the sun shines out of their ****. I own an iPad 2, an iPhone 4S and a late 2011 13" MBP. Apple to me have always appeared to be an innovative company, coming out with genius new ideas and pushing the boundary of current technology with neat features. Which has got me thinking a little bit.

I saw this article which sums a lot of my thoughts up.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apples-problem-with-services-2012-10

It seems to me that all Apple are currently doing is re-releasing products with minimal changes apart from new hardware. Let's be honest, iOS hasn't changed all that much since iOS4 which brought multitasking, and perhaps iMessage which is useful to use from my Mac I admit, but I still prefer whatsapp and find it more reliable, plus there are other messaging applications that allow you to SMS from your PC/Mac. Siri came with iOS5 and to be honest, I don't know anyone that uses it. I know it has its uses, for example when driving, but it's not exactly the only voice activation software around. And now the latest release of iOS 6 with monumental amount of fail which has resulted in the Apple CEO publicly apologising. Let's not forget that it was Apple's decision to not move forward with Google maps.

I really hope Apple do something fast, because right now, they're appearing rather average and not exactly innovating much. For the first time in 3 or so years I'm contemplating switching to Android, and a lot of my friends are in the same boat, some already having made the move and wishing they'd done it sooner.

I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. To me, it's as simple as this: Apple are not delivering as I would expect them to.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Loads of other features they bring out I never use, I know it's entirely subjective, but the bookstore, reminders and that other thing they brought out in iOS 6, the name escapes me as I'm back on iOS 5.1.1. Personally, the last decent thing they brought out in an iOS update was iMessage.

I must admit, I do love my MBP, it's a little powerhouse and the OS is really nice to use on a laptop. Kind of wishing I had something with a better GOU though but then the price increases a fair amount.

Man of Honour
OP
In saying that, this is what I would like to see:

Google maps
Ability to remove Apple apps I don't use from the homescreen
Bigger screen (4.3" ish)
Ability to customise background more, like HTC Sense
Ability to sync to Google and iCloud at the same time

Just from the top of my head.

Man of Honour
OP
Yes I'm aware, but that has nothing to do with my original post. Apps to me work the same, regardless of whether they're on Android or iOS.

Back
Top Bottom