Apple's January 27th Event

Associate
I love all the people complaining that netbooks are such better value for money than the iPad...

Guess what...

Wait for it....

Many, many netbooks are available now and you can walk into a shop and buy them. So rather than complain online about a product that isn't suitable for you, go buy a product that is and get on with your life.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to an Audi forum and complain that my family of 8 won't fit in comfortably.

should have got an iBus :D

Associate
Oh my, am currently sat here at work and its getting late and my attention just wondered over to my colleagues desk, where there is sat a HP TC1100 tablet...

The thought of an iPod touch with a screen that's almost that size, coupled with a multitouch interface is exciting to say the least. Especially given that it will be a $650 maintenance free computer. No more making sure that all 4 of my Macs have similar configurations. I'll only need to do it for 3 macs instead. Whooo!

should have got an iBus :D

Haha can you imagine the keynote introducing that??

Jonathan Ives said:
Finally there is a magical way to get to school. You just touch on board and you're there. This is really the best bus we have ever made

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Engadget reports that an internal model number for Apple's next-generation iPhone ("N89") has apparently surfaced in the the new iPhone SDK 3.2 that was released alongside the introduction of the company's iPad tablet device.
Buried way inside the platform simulator lies a set of folders dedicated to specific models of iPhone OS-ready devices, including the iPhone 3GS, second generation iPod touch, something called the "K48" (yep, the codename we were told was the internal name for the iPad), and... the "N89." Sure, it sounds like a Nokia phone just waiting to happen, but this is -- according to our extremely knowledgeable and trusted sources -- likely the codename of the next iPhone (previous versions were called the M68, N82, and N88).

In addition, a similar entry entitled "N80" has also appeared in Apple's just-released iPhone OS 3.1.3 and reportedly corresponds to the next-generation iPod touch.
Interestingly, Apple's just released firmware (3.1.3) also includes another new model, the "N80," which we're told will most likely be the next version of the iPod touch.

Several previous reports had claimed that the iPad was carrying the internal model number "K48", which appears to have been the case. One of those earlier reports had also claimed, however, that the next-generation iPhone carries internal model number N90 instead of the N89 discovered in the iPhone SDK 3.2.

Man of Honour
Oh my, am currently sat here at work and its getting late and my attention just wondered over to my colleagues desk, where there is sat a HP TC1100 tablet...

I used a TC1100 a lot back when they were released. I was disappointed when HP stopped developing the line and went back to boring conventional convertible laptop/tablets like everyone else. They were really nice machines in some ways. With modern components they'd be an interesting proposition...

Man of Honour
Flash isnt there because the app market will shrink. This is their choice and it is fine. But a product being sold specifically on its web browsing prowess which doesnt have flash would be frowned upon if it wasnt apple.

I think this is typical apple. They develop a product leave some glaring errors and release revisions to correct them, forcing early adopters to buy again.

The items I highlighted certainly do not make the product any worse and I cannot understand why people would want less "screen estate", more is virtually always better.
It suits playing movies better. Not releasing it gives a perfect marketing opportunity for apple to release the ipadHD next year. It will be successful and it will help apple make more money.

It is just frustrating for people who can see how close the product is to being just right for the purposes it is being marketed for to watch the ipad release with substantial flaws or niggles at the very least. Flaws/niggles which could have been resolved before release too.

I think the essence of what I am trying to get at is that the reasons that major features were not included at lauch were commercial decisions rather than consumer-centric ones. This is fine except that Apple's main selling point is that it places the consumer first.

Or flash isn't there because it's a ridiculous CPU hog even on laptops under OSX (actually under most unix based systems) and it allows the execution of uncontrolled code (whether you agree with it or not this is something apple have been fairly consistent on).

To be honest I think you're going into the realm of conspiracy and underestimating the time it takes to bring stuff to market. Fixing every last thing and adding every last feature people are moaning about could have added another 12 months to the development time...

Even if it was true - they're allowed to make money and you don't have to buy now or upgrade later. You could easily level the same accusation at Nokia (half baked N97 followed by the N900 and no backporting of maemo to the N97 - should be fairly possible technically) or many others.

Associate
do you mean android? if so 2nd half of this year by MSi with a price tag expected to be £300. I just hope they keep a phone like UI, otherwise it will fail due to being such a niche market.

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/01/28/msi-tablet-incoming-first-ipad-rival-revealed/

I think he probably means Chrome OS, which was announced a couple of months back. There should be netbooks shipping with it by the end of the year methinks, but they've not announced anything about tablets yet.

Man of Honour
Didn't realise there was a new OS.

What is it, somewhere between android and a full OS like windows?
Oh it's totally web based. Does that mean if your internet connection drops you can't do anything?

Any android tablets with ~10" similar to Ipad?

Last edited:
Soldato
I used a TC1100 a lot back when they were released. I was disappointed when HP stopped developing the line and went back to boring conventional convertible laptop/tablets like everyone else. They were really nice machines in some ways. With modern components they'd be an interesting proposition...

We had hundreds of the damn things. In my experience they were ruddy awful! Ours had a Celeron and they were terribly slow, and the reliability wasn't up to scratch, a high proportion developed faulty screens.

Associate
Didn't realise there was a new OS.

What is it, somewhere between android and a full OS like windows?
Oh it's totally web based. Does that mean if your internet connection drops you can't do anything?

Kind of, yeah. It's very much like iPhone OS in that it's a very stripped down OS designed for low power devices such as netbooks. It won't have a file system either. You'll be able to watch videos, listen to music, browse the web, etc.

As for the web based thing, the OS apparently sees things like Facebook and YouTube as "Applications". So you'll get an icon to it on your desktop, and you click it and it'll open Facebook in your browser. Google has said that nearly everything will be web based. For instance, there won't be a document editing suite like iWord, it'll be Google Docs and based in the cloud.

Google has said it won't be completely open, it'll only ship with devices that they want to put it on. So you might buy a Dell mini 10 with Chrome OS on it. Because of this I'd imagine that Google will mandate they have some sort of 3G connectivity so you're never really without access.

Man of Honour
We had hundreds of the damn things. In my experience they were ruddy awful! Ours had a Celeron and they were terribly slow, and the reliability wasn't up to scratch, a high proportion developed faulty screens.

Oh absolutely, they were underpowered even with the top end processor - I just liked the design and concept, the execution fell down in the details. Why I said with modern hardware they would be interesting.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I thought Chrome OS was centralised around a big central browser?

Android sounds promising, but I've yet to see a definitive UI.

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom