Apple's January 27th Event

Soldato
http://www.trustedreviews.com/software/news/2009/11/20/Google-Unveils-Chrome-OS/p1

The video seems to say no localised file storage and no hard-wired applications. Which means unless you have internet connection it's a paperweight. Mobile devices should have a stripped down OS, but that if correct is to far. Means when travelling if you are in a black spot you can't do anything.

I'm sure when they announced Chrome OS they used pictures stored on a USB key or SD card to upload the to the internet. So I'm sure you'll be able to store videos on those and watch them if the browser supports the codec.

Man of Honour
I'm sure when they announced Chrome OS they used pictures stored on a USB key or SD card to upload the to the internet. So I'm sure you'll be able to store videos on those and watch them if the browser supports the codec.

If that video is right(which I would be surprised as internet coverage is not total when on the move). Then it has no codecs or software on the tablet. it is all done server side.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

http://www.trustedreviews.com/software/news/2009/11/20/Google-Unveils-Chrome-OS/p1

The video seems to say no localised file storage and no hard-wired applications. Which means unless you have internet connection it's a paperweight. Mobile devices should have a stripped down OS, but that if correct is to far. Means when travelling if you are in a black spot you can't do anything.

Aye, I thought it was :(

from that article you posted said:
The entire experience takes place within the browser and there are no conventional desktop applications

Soldato
If that video is right(which I would be surprised as internet coverage is not total when on the move). Then it has no codecs or software on the tablet. it is all done server side.

Plugins can still be installed in the browser so you can play Windows Media Video, Flash or anything like that. So aslong as the codec is made for use with Google Chrome it should be fine to play any media.

Associate
The thing about Flash is: It's closed source. It never has and never will be a 'web standard'. Sure a VAST majority of people may have it installed and use it, but that is just not the same.

Soldato
Flash is a bit of performance hog. On my Studio 15 laptop, the fans start to come on when i use Youtube or Gametrailers thanks to Flash. It uses more than twice the cpu usage at times than it does watching a 1080p video on MPC.

Although it would have been nice to have the option to turn Flash on or off on the iPhone/iPad, like you can with Javascript.

Man of Honour
Plugins can still be installed in the browser so you can play Windows Media Video, Flash or anything like that. So aslong as the codec is made for use with Google Chrome it should be fine to play any media.

That's chrome though, this is chrome OS. It says on the video nothing at all is installed and if the code is altered at all, it will automatically reboot and repair itself.

Soldato
That's chrome though, this is chrome OS. It says on the video nothing at all is installed and if the code is altered at all, it will automatically reboot and repair itself.

It is basically just Chrome the browser and I'm sure Google will provide support for things like Flash. Plus it's completely open source, so if they don't, someone will create a new build with Flash and the required codecs to play other media.

Man of Honour
It is basically just Chrome the browser and I'm sure Google will provide support for things like Flash. Plus it's completely open source, so if they don't, someone will create a new build with Flash and the required codecs to play other media.

read the link.

it is not open source. they are only releasing it on approved devices and it is nothing like chrome the browser.

Soldato
read the link.

it is not open source. they are only releasing it on approved devices and it is nothing like chrome the browser.

I've watched videos about it before and read about it, I was simplifying it a bit for the sake of the conversation. There's a lot more to it but as it's core it's the Chrome browser. So if the official release has the required codec to stream the file in the browser (and I'm sure they'll support as much as they can), I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it off a USB key or SD card.

And like I said if Google don't someone else will be able to make a build that does. Here's the page for the open source project:

http://dev.chromium.org/chromium-os

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Chromium is the open source branch of Chrome isn't it?

I always thought Chromium != Chrome. In other words, they are 2 different things.

1 open source, and 1 managed by Google.

Associate
OP
Not exactly. Google Chrome is built from Chromium so actually Chrome is a branch of Chromium.

Pretty much Google Chrome is Chromium + Google related branding + reporting-back-to-Google-about-certain-things-"features"

Back
Top Bottom