Apple's January 27th Event

Soldato
You'd think apple had shot and murdered a load of women and children judging by the backlash on the internet.

There is no doubt that the lack of flash & multitasking is a pita for some but no doubt they'll be apps or re writes or other work arounds.

But as a tablet fan for 6 years I get it. This device is for sitting on your coffee table, going away, playing games, surfing the Internet etc, all in a simple to use device that will never crash, catch a virus, need maintenance etc.

The perfect simple device for all the family to use. I could easily have my 70 year old dad surfing the net in 10 minutes with this or playing soduku.

I promise you this. When you see one in the flesh and play with it, you will want one. Unless the HP slate comes out before ;)

At last the tablet is here for the masses and it's here to stay!

Soldato
An interesting response to all the backlash I read was a simple question.

"Why don't you own a windows tablet that can do all the things a iPad can't?"

Simple answer, there all ****.

I suppose there will be android versions, but there's three reasons why they wont do so great against the iPad from the go:

1. Supported Content, (music, videos, books, apps, games etc.)
2. Publicity (for example my mum knows what an iPad is, but doesn't know what android is)
3. Brand

Basically you have to be a geek to get the Android version to be as good.

As much as i hate to say it, a normal consumer wants something "that just works" which is where the iPad wins.

Last edited:
Soldato
The fight isn't between the iPad and Android or the iPad and Windows tablets. The real fight is between the iPad and nothing. How many consumers will be willing to throw down between £388 and £682 for a device that they've lived without just fine for so long?

I'm sure there will be an initial surge of interest though.

Associate
I've not really had time to look into this iPad but I was sent this at work, say no more

iFAIL.png

Soldato
Hardly that profound.

The HP was a stylus device and had Windows XP with stylus support shoe-horned on to it. The iPad's full multi-touch and has software/hardware polished to within an inch of its life. Different types of product.

That said I do gather those HP tablets are quite a cult series.

Last edited:
Soldato
I love those comparison pictures, you can just imagine someone angrily working away in Photoshop whilst the Apple keynote is going on. :D

Also love the lack of details when it suits, the CPU for example is 1Ghz regardless of the evolution of CPU chips in the 7 year gap between the products.

Soldato
The iPad really just seems a totally pointless product to me. The good thing about the iphone was it's convenience.

Pretty sure it's just an experiment dreampt up by Jesus Jobs to see just how far he can push the Apple faithful to spend money on his products.
The "I want one but i dont know why" crowd are no doubt making him smile.

Soldato

Undoubtedly, but it's not only Apple that have those types of people.

I think the product is a forever consumer device, much closer to an iPod than a traditional tablet or netbook (in terms of its usage pattern). It's continually compared to the latter but it's just not that kind of device.

I definitely don't want one but I would like to use one and see what it's like. If my parents were looking to learn how to use the Internet and basic computing, I would have a hard time looking past something like the iPad.

Man of Honour
Pretty sure it's just an experiment dreampt up by Jesus Jobs to see just how far he can push the Apple faithful to spend money on his products.

Except I hate apple, but unless the MSI Android delvers I'll end up getting one.

As said above it is not a tablet, it is basically a big ipod.
It is for browsing the web, watching videos, reading books. Something you need a big screen for. Yes you can do it on a smart phone, but it really is horrible. It is an electronic magazine, not a computer like a laptop or netbook.

Associate
On the other hand it could be bait / a dig at apple...

Sure, but Microsoft has the whole Mac Business Division devoted to creating and selling applications for the Mac platform.

They've also shown they're interested in iPhone OS by releasing the Bing app for the iPhone/iPod touch.

I reckon there might be an opportunity there for Microsoft to release Office for the iPad...

Back
Top Bottom