Apple's January 27th Event

Associate
This device is for sitting on your coffee table, going away, playing games, surfing the Internet etc, all in a simple to use device that will never crash, catch a virus, need maintenance etc.

Oh goody- does this mean my iPhone won't crash any more either?!

I promise you this. When you see one in the flesh and play with it, you will want one. Unless the HP slate comes out before ;)

I promise you I won't- I can visualise it just fine by holding my iPhone closer to my face, and I still don't want one. :)

Soldato
I've not really had time to look into this iPad but I was sent this at work, say no more

iFAIL.png

Sorry to bring this back up, but I'm pretty sure the iPad has a headphone jack.

Soldato
I've not really had time to look into this iPad but I was sent this at work, say no more[/IMG]

Ever used a TC1100? Nice idea, but the hardware was an epic fail. We had P2-350 PCs that were faster in day to day use than the TC1100.

I think I'm pretty safe to assume that the iPad doesn't take a well over 5 minutes to boot to a blank desktop...

Soldato
I'm not a big fan of the iPad, but this did make me lol.

Fair summary of a number of criticisms aimed at it.

No there are some valid criticisms software wise, but I honestly don't see an issue with any of the hardware.

Stereo sound is funny the speakers are inches from each other.

PC card..... really you want one on a tablet?

Network interfaces, again do not want it has wifi.

VGA out, not the sort of device to be running a powerpoint from is it really.

If it were running a cut down version of OSX and not iphone software then maybe one hidden usb would be useful but thats the only valid point I can see.

Caporegime
I agree with that, for a web browser hardware wise it is an excellent piece of kit, except for the USB slot, software wise is where it falls down.

It's funny that Apple know that people need a USB slot yet didn't stick one in, instead selling it as an optional extra...

Does the iPad have bluetooth actually? If so is it runied like the iPhone and not able to ttransfer files with it?

Soldato
No there are some valid criticisms software wise, but I honestly don't see an issue with any of the hardware.

Just to clarify, I was agreeing that the comment highlighted the fact that criticisms aimed at the hardware of the iPad are unfounded, even though as a device it is not for me.

Soldato
I agree with that, for a web browser hardware wise it is an excellent piece of kit, except for the USB slot, software wise is where it falls down.

It's funny that Apple know that people need a USB slot yet didn't stick one in, instead selling it as an optional extra...

Does the iPad have bluetooth actually? If so is it runied like the iPhone and not able to ttransfer files with it?

Why transfer files over Bluetooth when it supports IEEE 802.11n?

Soldato
Because that's the standard way of transferring small files between devices.

To be perfect the ipad needs.

An SD card slot with the ability to import photos from the card, store them in a folder and then back them up to NAS / a portable hard drive / the web.

USB slot - mass storage device compatible.

Flash.

Soldato
Just to clarify, I was agreeing that the comment highlighted the fact that criticisms aimed at the hardware of the iPad are unfounded, even though as a device it is not for me.

I know I was just elaborating on your point, just because I quoted your post doesn't mean I'm writing with a differing opinion. :)

Caporegime

Because as Bug One says its the standard way of transferring small files. Phone to iPad for example, however I see why Apple wouldn't implement it as they haven't even done it for the iPhone...

Because that's the standard way of transferring small files between devices.

To be perfect the ipad needs.

An SD card slot with the ability to import photos from the card, store them in a folder and then back them up to NAS / a portable hard drive / the web.

USB slot - mass storage device compatible.

Flash.

Don't really see the need for an SD card myself, I have one on my laptop and have never used it, however I know it's a pretty standard card so can see why it would be useful (use XD, microSD and CF instead).

Soldato
Don't really see the need for an SD card myself, I have one on my laptop and have never used it, however I know it's a pretty standard card so can see why it would be useful (use XD, microSD and CF instead).
Well, provided it ha a usb slot that will take a card reader, I can live without.

But virtually everything has a SD card reader now. I make a point of only using devices which take SD cards. It makes life a lot easier when everything uses the same type of memory card.

Back
Top Bottom