Apply direct or via agency?

Soldato
I've seen what I believe is the same job advertised directly on the website of the business, plus also by at least two recruitment agencies.

If the business recruits directly, there should be a cost saving as they wouldn't be paying a fee to the agency. However, the agency advert is worded to better fit my skill set, so possibly an easier pitch to meet the "requirements".

So I'm interested to know if people would apply direct to the business or via the agency in this situation...

Soldato
Always direct if possible. You'll save the company a huge fee.

The reason the agency advert seems more suited is because it will deliberately broader to try and cast a wider net.

Soldato
Direct.

If your shortlisted and it comes down to you vs an agency candidate that they have to pay a fee for, it gives you a slight advantage.

You could always apply direct then speak to the agencies in the off chance it's not the same comp but the job is still a good fit, just be up front and tell them you have made some direct applications . Good luck!

Caporegime
depends on the sort job and on the agency

some agents will have a relationship with the hiring manager and if they think you're suitable can put you forwards - your CV will be seen in that instance and you'll perhaps be better placed to get feedback after the first interview etc..

if you apply direct then you get filtered through HR

alternatively sometimes it could just be a recruitment firm that is going to submit via HR anyway so you'll face the same screening

you can maybe infer from the industry, type of recruiter - you can perhaps get a better idea by phoning the recruiter and asking them about the role, about the team and the hiring manager etc.. that should give you some clues as to whether they're someone with a relationship with that hiring manager or they're just some recruiter who is going to submit your CV along with a load more into HR

Soldato
Both.

Agency might not put you through so if you've applied direct they'll still get your CV.

Company may advertise everywhere but only take agency workers as it usually gives them an extra 3 months on probation.

Caporegime
I'd recommend avoiding that as it can get messy - especially if you're already interviewed by the company then the agent also submits your CV.

Ditto to applying for the same job via two agencies, don't do it. It can cause hassle for the company involved and if they've got other decent candidates then the simplest solution for them is to simply bin your application.

Soldato
I'd recommend avoiding that as it can get messy - especially if you're already interviewed by the company then the agent also submits your CV.

Ditto to applying for the same job via two agencies, don't do it. It can cause hassle for the company involved and if they've got other decent candidates then the simplest solution for them is to simply bin your application.

It's never done my group of friends any harm

We've had 2 guys get an interview direct while the agency wouldn't put them forward, both got jobs.

1 of the girls applied for 2 separate jobs (different descriptions) with 2 different agencies, turned out to be the same job and they remembered her because of it. She got the job.

Most agencies don't even tell you the company name until shortly before interview stage, and if companies had an issue with receiving duplicate CV's they shouldn't use multiple agencies and recruit themselves.

Caporegime
you're being a bit results orientated here based on a handful of examples

firstly:

We've had 2 guys get an interview direct while the agency wouldn't put them forward, both got jobs.

The agency didn't put them forward and they somehow knew this - that is a bit different.

1 of the girls applied for 2 separate jobs (different descriptions) with 2 different agencies, turned out to be the same job and they remembered her because of it. She got the job.

That is a company with a crap HR dept and some not so switched on recruiters - maybe the role is low level and they don't care. Point is in that situation the company is potential liable to pay recruitment fees twice! If they see that sort of thing occurring the simplest solution is to bin the candidate.

This is why you need to make sure any recruiter you work with isn't going to send your CV to roles you've already applied to.

Extra twist here is that you also don't want to be too specific about the roles you've applied to - better to tell the new recruiter not to send a CV to company A rather than give them too many details about the role as, if they're not aware of it, you've just given them a lead and they might well end up sending a bunch of rival candidates

Caporegime
I applied for a job today but then found out the actual employer it is for by doing a bit of googling, they aren't advertising the job on their website, should I contact them directly or just let it lie?

Also I was asked by a recruiter today how many interviews I've had recently in the area I'm looking at, how does one respond to that type of question?

Associate
I applied for a job today but then found out the actual employer it is for by doing a bit of googling, they aren't advertising the job on their website, should I contact them directly or just let it lie?

Also I was asked by a recruiter today how many interviews I've had recently in the area I'm looking at, how does one respond to that type of question?

Apply directly, you have no idea if the recruiter has even seen your CV, let alone put it forward (and they would call you before that).

If a recruiter asks you anything about interviews, always tell them you have had none and have none lined up. They ask you that firstly to try and get leads from you ("Oh could you tell me the company name so I don't put you forward for the same role? I won't try place my own candidates there, honest..." :rolleyes:). Secondly it's because they want to check if you might be off the market soon, so if they think they might lose you then they will most likely drop you and put forward someone else who will not be taking any other roles soon and making them look silly/waste their time.

The golden rule is never trust agents. Never give them any information they don't need to know.

Soldato
I'd agree with Dowie on this one, would give the same advice.

The HR department makes a massive difference and to give a real life example: my friend applied for a job directly and got a generic rejection email. Was disappointed but moved on, then a couple of weeks later he was contacted by an agency and turns out it was for the same role. He applied, was offered the job and is still working there. The agency clearly had a better link with the hiring manager than the internal HR department.

Caporegime
Apply directly, you have no idea if the recruiter has even seen your CV, let alone put it forward (and they would call you before that).

If a recruiter asks you anything about interviews, always tell them you have had none and have none lined up. They ask you that firstly to try and get leads from you ("Oh could you tell me the company name so I don't put you forward for the same role? I won't try place my own candidates there, honest..." :rolleyes:). Secondly it's because they want to check if you might be off the market soon, so if they think they might lose you then they will most likely drop you and put forward someone else who will not be taking any other roles soon and making them look silly/waste their time.

The golden rule is never trust agents. Never give them any information they don't need to know.

Thanks for your advice. I have told the company that I have heard about them through a friend and became very interested in them after reading about their services and have inquired if they have any IT roles available, citing some skills I have that were mentioned in the recruiters advert. Hopefully that will get some response.

I will also heed your advice about the interview question.

So far I have been deflecting questions about salary from recruiters.

Caporegime

Not if you've already applied via an agent. If you've spoken to the agent on the phone, asked them about the role, figured out if they know the manager/team or if they're just some numpty who will be forwarding your CV onto HR... then you ought to be able to make a call re: whether to give them your CV.

Give them some info but keep it vague. Doesn't matter if they know you went for [very generic job title] at [big company/bank] as there are so many depts teams that it could be any number of hiring managers etc...

What you often don't want is to give them any info that will let them know specifically who you've spoken to, you don't want them to now send rival candidates to that role - as he's talking to you he probably talks to other people with a similar profile to you too. If you've interviewed at a smaller firm then simply don't tell them.

Secondly you don't want to give too much information about who you report to at your current role - the recruiter now knows you're planning on leaving, last thing you want is for him to phone up your current boss and preemptively pitch some candidates to him.

What you can do is just tell them that you'll give them some of this information after you've secured a new role.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They ask you that firstly to try and get leads from you ("Oh could you tell me the company name so I don't put you forward for the same role? I won't try place my own candidates there, honest..." :rolleyes:).

Yeah, if they say anything along those lines then you need to put your foot down right away and be very clear with them that they're not to send your CV to any employers without agreeing with you first.

It isn't unknown for a recruiter to send a candidate CV to the candidate's own employer even.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all - sent CV and letter off tonight, direct to the company. Doesn't close until Monday so time to sit tight...

Finally had a reply yesterday from the HR department.

The person had been on holiday and yesterday was their first day back. Nobody was checking the HR mailbox in their absence :eek: :mad::mad: They had 3 or 4 jobs open on their website and nobody was covering the HR mailbox? Inept is the polite word that comes to mind.

Apparently, the day I applied somebody had a second interview and they got the job. By all means close applications earlier if you have enough suitable candidates but appointing whilst still accepting applications makes a mockery of having a closing date. I took my time on my CV / letter but still had them in four days before it closed.

I very much wanted to give them both barrels for not being able to organise a sugar rush in a sweetshop but have bit my tongue.

Soldato
In all likelihood, had you gone through an agency or recruiter then they'd have been able to relay this information back to you much sooner. There's benefits for going down either route, but unless I knew the hiring manager personally or I knew the hiring firm had a well staffed HR team, then I'd likely go via the intermediary.

Associate
I would always try to avoid using an agent. I have had so many negative experiences with them. Here are a few:

I had a guy say that if I didn't accept a job on the day it was offered, then it would be given to another candidate. After working there for a year I found out that it was a complete and utter lie, and that there was no other candidate.

I was half way through the process with a couple of oppurtunities, then heard nothing for a week or two, not replying to emails. It turned out that the recruitment consultant I was dealing with had left, and nobody had picked up from where she left off, probably costing me those jobs.

I've had a guy send me personal abuse when I politely declined a job offer, telling me to "man up" amongst other things.

So in the future, I will always apply directly where possible.

Soldato
There's a difference in agencies and how they operate too, remember.

Some will literally scrape Linked In for keywords and consider that being sufficient to be a recruitment consultant.

Others will, as I've experienced, know who you are and what you're about and almost have sold you before you interview.

Back
Top Bottom