1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying thermal paste to AMD phenom II X4

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Jampolo, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Jampolo

Gangster

Hi,
    stock thermal paste is known to be quite dodgy, plus in the process of trouble shooting i took of the CPU cooler and the paste is disproportionate,
    this is the paste i bought

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-002-AK

i've read that AMD cpu chips have the cores in the middle, so a small pea sized amount of the CPU, will spread well as you apply the HSF,
    secondly, what can i clean the old thermal paste with? I have some very strong alcohol and distilled water, cant think of what else in my house could do the trick :/

2. Jampolo

Gangster

actually its thermal compound (not sure if this changes anything)

3. Guitarman0

Wise Guy

Not sure if that thermal compound is any good as I haven't used it but I use either Isopropyl alcohol wipes or an alcohol cleaning (supposed to be used for cleaning cuts I think) with toilet paper. It seems to do the trick just fine :D

Also, I prefer the pea sized method too as it takes a lot less time than spreading ;)

4. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

Pea in the middle. I have a X 4 965 and the AMD website says a pea in the middle. :)

5. Jampolo

Gangster

ok i will youtube the pea method, and do you know the % of isopropyl alcohol? I have a rum here, bought when on holiday which is 80%, so basically pure alcohol plus a bit of whatever else is in rum :p
    will look for some wipes!

6. Jampolo

Gangster

If you use the pea method, what do you spread yours with?

7. LiamJ

Wise Guy

Errr... the bottom of the heatsink?

Just place a pea sized blob on the centre of the CPU, then push it down with the heatsink when placing it on. Helps to ensure there are no air bubbles.

8. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

Nothing. Just blob it in the middle and push the cooler onto it. It spreads itself and you are pretty much guaranteed no air bubbles that way. :)

My mate spreads it with his finger, which I find totally cretinous.

9. Jampolo

Gangster

yeah i read about people speading with fingers, they said they got lowest temps aha!

10. alex24

Capodecina

I'd try to avoid using water or anything with water in it, just in case the worst happens. You can get pure (>99%) isopropyl alcohol off the shelf in some hardware and PC shops.

11. Jampolo

Gangster

also what do i do about the bits on the side of the CPU ? do they matter? stock thermal paste was awful -.-

12. Jampolo

Gangster

ok well i used a little of the alcohol on the HSF, hardly any on the CPU, still got some of the CPU to clean, but wondering if the little bit on the side has to be cleaned

13. Nelly

Soldato

As the others said, a small blob in the centre of the CPU, then press down the heatsink, twist it abit and it will make an even - air bubble free spread.

You can get isopropyl alcohol from the chemist, I got 600ml for £4.75 - that should last you till your running around with a zimmer frame. ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  14. alex24

Capodecina

If it's not making thermal contact, don't worry about it. If it's a horrible mess of paste, wipe it off, but it's the top surface that matters.

15. Jampolo

Gangster

thank you nelly and alex,
    its just on the side, small bits of it, nothing much, will re apply paste now :p

16. Relentless81

Sgarrista

I used the spread method (with a card) on the same CPU with MX4, great results

17. Nelly

Soldato

Watch this and you will see why the blob in the middle is the best method. :)

18. SHEDDER1uk

Wise Guy

So the paste don't have to cover the whole cpu?

19. Jampolo

Gangster

Thanks for help :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  20. Jampolo

Gangster