Approached for a promotion that I don't want...

Soldato
I’m in a bit of a predicament at work and I’m not sure of the best way to resolve it.

I started at my company just under a year ago and joined a team of five others. One of these had been there a little longer than the rest so was being groomed for a senior/team leader position for the team.

I’ve had really positive feedback since being there, so much so that my boss approached me and said they asked me about progressing into the senior/team lead role instead.

The problem here is that I don’t want this position. I’ve been a team lead before in a much more competent team in a far more mature company, with a better support network, and I still left as I found it too stressful and I spent all my time doing the boring admin side of things rather than the stuff I was actually interested in. So I know this move would be a bad one for me, even if it came with a massive rise (which I’m sure it won’t given the current climate, and the fact I’m already on a decent wage).

So far this sounds fairly straightforward, I just turn to him and say thanks but no thanks, right? The problem is that because the rest of my team is less competent, I’m basically doing a large chunk of the senior/team lead work anyway. I started doing this to make my life easier, and to show I was capable, but now others have cottoned on so I’m always the first port of call for any questions for anything the team is doing. So I think even if I say I don’t want the position, I’m still going to end up doing most of it anyway, unless I just start responding with a blanket, “that’s not in my job spec, go ask someone else”, which obviously isn’t going to go down too well (and I don’t want to be THAT guy either).

Any suggestions on how to resolve this situation?

The job market isn’t great at the moment, I’m paid well, it’s a convenient job, and I think I can learn a lot there, so I certainly don’t want to do anything that can put my job at risk.

Back
Top Bottom