• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ARC 770 16GB

The compute power is definitely there. When you mess about with stable diffusion, the results are truly great. In 3dmark it also punches well above it’s weight.
It shows just how bad the drivers are, and the way it seems they need to specifically fix individual games, rather than being able to push a magic bullet. There’s definitely something not right.
I’d love if they could find that magic for older games, but I think ultimately the original Arc cards will only be for people who really like faffing about with tech.

True. I am so tempted evertime i read that they have potential but the days of OC and reinstalling windows few times a day and filding with the jumpers :P on the MB are long gone and cant be a...d now to spent time doing this.

The compute power is definitely there. When you mess about with stable diffusion, the results are truly great. In 3dmark it also punches well above it’s weight.
It shows just how bad the drivers are, and the way it seems they need to specifically fix individual games, rather than being able to push a magic bullet. There’s definitely something not right.
I’d love if they could find that magic for older games, but I think ultimately the original Arc cards will only be for people who really like faffing about with tech.
AMD/Nvidia have been fixing/patching games in the drivers for years, that is why the driver is so massive. It’s made the job of creating a GPU + driver much harder. Just creating a driver that sticks to the spec results in low performance and games bugging out. Ideally the game dev’s would fix things but that does not happen so the driver team is forced to patch/fix things.

Last edited:
Spotted an ARC 770 16Gb going for under £350,

It's well overpriced as a gaming GPU; try £299.

The compute power is definitely there. When you mess about with stable diffusion, the results are truly great.

New drivers are out which boost performance by 2.7x in Stable Diffusion.

It shows just how bad the drivers are,

Ah, read-ahead mode was OFF. :)

reinstalling windows few times a day

I have an A770 and have never had to reinstall Windows because of it.

New drivers are out which boost performance by 2.7x in Stable Diffusion.
I think this 2.7x is only over the original release drivers, right? The card's previous drivers already performed great for it, but it's just not something I really need to use. It does give me hope for smaller local language models running at quality speed (easily) soon. I know there are already plenty of ways to do it, but I don't really want to mess around too much on this PC for this. On nvidia it just sort of works. :D

Back
Top Bottom