Arctic Freezer 64 Fan Change

CBP

CBP

Associate
As the major source of noise is now coming from my arctic freezer 64 fan, I was wondering whether it was possible to change the fan for something quieter, whilst still maintaining the flow rate, if not increasing it.

Would it be possible to fit an aftermarket, quieter fan to it eg. akasa amber of the same 92mm size? I see the fan is mounted on rubber mounts that simply push into the fan holes.

If it is possible, what size fan would it be, and has anyone done this before?

Last edited:

CBP

CBP

Associate
OP
Don't get me wrong, it is quiet, but I still think it can go quieter for not much money. Now I've eliminated the super annoying noise from the standard 7900 cooler, the next irritating noise seems to be coming from the arctic freezer 64. My hiper type r doesn't seem too loud, neither do my case fans.

I've got a couple ambers spare, and wondered whether its worth either using one of these in place of the standard arctic fan, or refunding them, as I dont need them anymore

CBP

CBP

Associate
OP
eggcup said:
Ive managed to slowthe fan down on my freezer using the fan control on my mobo, and it still very cool, are you able to slow it down on yours???

As far as I can see my mobo controls the speed of the fan as it is. Currently its spinning at 2428rpm, although I'm sure I've read that it's meant to spin at 2000rpm? I'm not totally sure how/if I can turn the fan speed down manually. As I'm always cautious over my temps, I guess it's best I leave the fan at the default speed?

Raikiri said:
80-120mm fan adapter, screw that to the freezer and fit an akasa amber or something

Not totally sure an 80mm adaptor or fan would fit onto the cooler mounting as it is, as the standard fan size is 62mm, and is already larger than the cooler. Also, due to the layout of the A8N-SLi premium mobo, there is no room for a 120mm fan, due to the memory slots.

Any other suggestions?

Associate
Strap a fan on the other side... no one really cares about the MOSFET cooling anyways :p

I did it on my Freezer64 Pro, because of Mem slot clearance on the A8N-SLi Permium.

Better airflow, quieter (though my Freezer64 Pro was near-silent anyways) and you can use all 4 RAM slots. The 80-120mm fan mount will struggle for clearance with the back on the case though... best just to cram it on with Cable ties or 'laccy bands :)

Best of Luck!

Soldato
Mikebert4 said:
Strap a fan on the other side... no one really cares about the MOSFET cooling anyways :p

I did it on my Freezer64 Pro, because of Mem slot clearance on the A8N-SLi Permium.

Better airflow, quieter (though my Freezer64 Pro was near-silent anyways) and you can use all 4 RAM slots. The 80-120mm fan mount will struggle for clearance with the back on the case though... best just to cram it on with Cable ties or 'laccy bands :)

Best of Luck!

do you have a pic of it mate?

today i took of the fan bracket to hoover he fan as it was dusty and when i put it back on i pressed to hard and snapped he bracket :(

the clips still clip in but its slightly lose, no more noise is produced though lol

anyone know if its covered under warranty?

Soldato
I stuck mine on a 1000 rpm to go upto 2500 rpm when it goes above 50C = no noise for me, at stock its really loud compared to the stuff in my pc.

Any pics of any modifications anyone has done?

Soldato
He has a freezer 4, if you have any of the freezers (7, 7 pro, 4, 64 or 64 pro) you can screw a fan on. Just put the screw between the fins on the heatsink.

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
Where does one acquire one of these fan change bracket thingies? I'm getting a Freezer 7 for a PD 805 and it it needs more cooling chutzpah I'll need to angry up a fan.

You mean an 80-120mm fan adapter?

You're in the US right? Loads of palces do them, I just don't think I can link (even if they don't ship to the UK) but google '80-120mm fan adapter' and you will find them easily enough

Soldato
It isnt standard, but you can remove it and screw another fan onto it easily enough.

Edit:

Stock fan for the non pro -

How to fit a dif fan (somewhat crude)-

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom