Are steering wheel knobs illigal

Associate
basically to settle an argument.

found sources that say it is and it isn't but cant find the official answer anywhere. dft site is rubbish.

Associate
One of my ex's Dad used to have one, he had a false arm so i presume he had a dispensation to use it, not sure if an able bodied person would be able to use one as a matter of course.

Caporegime
Not sure they are illegal.

If they were, why do "Tugs" - used for shunting trailers - have them fitted as standard? Same for road registered Fork lift trucks, Agricultural Tractors & so on....

Not to mention they are common additions to trucks at most places I've driven?

Personally, I don't see the need, the manufacturer already fit a steeering wheel! :D

In the main, they go well with Blue LED lights, Furry Dice and all the other **** that some drivers like to decorate their cabs with.

Associate
OP
Not sure they are illegal.

If they were, why do "Tugs" - used for shunting trailers - have them fitted as standard? Same for road registered Fork lift trucks, Agricultural Tractors & so on....

Not to mention they are common additions to trucks at most places I've driven?

Personally, I don't see the need, the manufacturer already fit a steeering wheel! :D

In the main, they go well with Blue LED lights, Furry Dice and all the other **** that some drivers like to decorate their cabs with.

Ahh was just about to win the argument, then you had to post that lol. so back to square one. can anyone find the answer on a gov site?? iv searched dft, dvla, vosa cant find an answer ><.

Caporegime
They are legal to use but may cause MOT issues as the application of the knob often damages the steering wheel rim, causing an MOT failure!

You would use a spinner in a yard shunting / reversing situation, you would not use one - generally - on the open road as I'm fairly sure it is not classed as being in proper control of your vehicle.

They are designed for rapid turning of the wheel, the only situation in forward driving I can think of that needs such arm twirling is Rally driving! So bar somebody such as a disabled driver, I can't see the need in normal driving for them. :)

Soldato
Even though they are (may?) legal to use, would you have to inform your insurance company as you would be using a modified steering control (one of the questions on most insurance quotes/renewals is "is the vehicle modified in any way from standard?")?

Back
Top Bottom