Are VR Headsets still pixelated?

Associate
Hey all,

I have tried VR in the past, (Vive and Rift) and while very immersive, I found the lack of display clarity to be too far below what I would deem acceptable combined with the low FOV it was a no go for me.

I have seen recently that Pimax have released new headsets with a super wide FOV and higher resolution displays. Does anyone here have the pimax VR headsets, how would you describe the image quality? My primary use would be VR racing.

Thanks!

Soldato
All current VR headsets exhibit pixelisation, though the Pimax does improve on that a lot (at the cost of contrast, as it's an LCD display).
Only with at least 4k pixels per eye and foveated rendering will the situation improve. In fact 8k per eye is probably the size required for pixels to be invisible.

The latest Samsung Odyssey headset has a filter to reduce the screen-door effect and pixelisation effect but it does make the image softer.

In any case, once you've used a VR headset for a while you tend to get used to the low resolution and pixelisation; and supersampling (if you have a decent graphics card) will help smooth the image out so you no longer notice it too.

Also if you're immersed in a VR game then you tend not to notice the display limitations anyway.

Only the Pimax has a wide field of view, but it requires a top end graphics card to power it, and there is distortion at the edges.

There is a new Valve headset in development, and rumours are this will have a higher resolution and wider FOV, but remember that the pixel density may well be similar to current headsets, as the pixels are spread out further across the FOV.

Associate
OP
All current VR headsets exhibit pixelisation, though the Pimax does improve on that a lot (at the cost of contrast, as it's an LCD display).
Only with at least 4k pixels per eye and foveated rendering will the situation improve. In fact 8k per eye is probably the size required for pixels to be invisible.

The latest Samsung Odyssey headset has a filter to reduce the screen-door effect and pixelisation effect but it does make the image softer.

In any case, once you've used a VR headset for a while you tend to get used to the low resolution and pixelisation; and supersampling (if you have a decent graphics card) will help smooth the image out so you no longer notice it too.

Also if you're immersed in a VR game then you tend not to notice the display limitations anyway.

Only the Pimax has a wide field of view, but it requires a top end graphics card to power it, and there is distortion at the edges.

There is a new Valve headset in development, and rumours are this will have a higher resolution and wider FOV, but remember that the pixel density may well be similar to current headsets, as the pixels are spread out further across the FOV.

Thank you for the response. I agree for sure, but image quality is a big thing for me when gaming, so I may well wait for the next generation and see what that holds.
In the mean time I might just settle for a Track Ir with a 4K screen :)

Associate
It does sound like VR probably isn't your thing. Racing in VR is way more immersive even with the resolution drop. Looking into coming corners, or searching around for other drivers is just so natural.

You may be waiting a good few years before it gets to a level you're happy with. We're here riding the bleeding edge of technology and enjoying it now :)

Soldato
You may be waiting a good few years before it gets to a level you're happy with. We're here riding the bleeding edge of technology and enjoying it now :)

Yep, VR works great for me now. I'd love a higher resolution wireless PC based headset, but I'm having a blast with the Oclulus Rift for 6DOF and Sim gaming, and my Oculus Go for watching movies and netflix.

Soldato
I had a CV1 and while immersive I ultimately found it worthless for flight and racing sims. I now have a Pimax 5K+ and it is definitely much more usable. Having said that when I game on my 4K monitor the clarity is still far higher than any VR HMD.

The thing is with Pimax 5K+ it is definitely viable and gives increased sharpness and reduced SDE than CV1 or Vive.

Associate
I couldn't conceive of ever playing a racing game in 2D again. Something like PCars2 might look great on an UW or 4K monitor, but you never feel connected or immersed as you would playing it in VR.

Soldato
Each to their own and all that, but 'worthless'? Really?

Yes, completely and utterly worthless. The IQ and ability to make out details was so utterly poor it was worthless IMHO. Going back to my 4K 32" monitor was just amazing and I ended up leaving my CV1 unused for months before I even realised it was broken since the last time I used it, so it went in the bin.

I couldn't conceive of ever playing a racing game in 2D again. Something like PCars2 might look great on an UW or 4K monitor, but you never feel connected or immersed as you would playing it in VR.

Well if in real life you are some kind of eccentric/lunatic who suffers from cataracts and wear tights and a scuba mask over your eyes, then I could see why you would call it immersive. ;)

Pimax 5K+ at least makes VR far more viable and I do indeed prefer siming with it over my 4K monitor. Having said that when I do play sims on my 4K I still notice the much better IQ and clarity.

I realise this opinion goes against what you both hold dear but to be fair I got tired of hearing people saying things like "once you try VR you will never go back".

Last edited:
Soldato
Never read such a load of rubbish lol

You are entitled to an opinion that CV1 for example is immersive, but objectively and factually the IQ is utterly crap compared to a half decent monitor. Some people, like the OP, myself and many others are unable to ignore this serious problem. Immersion is enough for you and others and that is great, but please don't presume to speak for everyone when you arrogantly declare "once you go VR you never go back", or your wonderfully self-entitled quote above.

Soldato
You are entitled to an opinion that CV1 for example is immersive, but objectively and factually the IQ is utterly crap compared to a half decent monitor. Some people, like the OP, myself and many others are unable to ignore this serious problem. Immersion is enough for you and others and that is great, but please don't presume to speak for everyone when you arrogantly declare "once you go VR you never go back", or your wonderfully self-entitled quote above.
Your not the only one. The older headsets like the Rift and Vive are like walking around with below average eyesight which really hurts the immersive feel. The pixelization isn't something everyone can just get used to as it stops you seeing what you should be able to see which can hurt both gameplay and lower or even break the immersive feel. While it is possible to have fun on the older headsets it doesn't change the fact that the immersion level on them is pretty poor due to the pixelization/eyesite problem.

Last edited:
Soldato

Calling someone self-entitled while posting bile like that its why I called it a load of rubbish.

Yes- a monitor is visually sharper.
Yes- you might not be able to ignore it, I'd argue that many people including myself can, easily.
For a lot of people going VR does mean no going back. I'm in that category, I'd rather compromise slightly on image quality and have true 6DOF with SDE that I don't really tend to notice.

Saying it is unusable and you've chucked your rift in the bin (lol) is why I said it was a load of rubbish, not because its not for everyone.

Soldato
Calling someone self-entitled while posting bile like that its why I called it a load of rubbish.

Yes- a monitor is visually sharper.
Yes- you might not be able to ignore it, I'd argue that many people including myself can, easily.
For a lot of people going VR does mean no going back. I'm in that category, I'd rather compromise slightly on image quality and have true 6DOF with SDE that I don't really tend to notice.

Saying it is unusable and you've chucked your rift in the bin (lol) is why I said it was a load of rubbish, not because its not for everyone.
That’s only true for a small fraction of people. The majority of people have gone back as VR is not good enough yet. Most fall into the category of not using the headsets anymore or rarely.

While I agree its not unusable it’s not just a slight compromise it’s like being half blind. If you have poor eyesight then sure the Rift is ok. If you have average eyesight and can read 20/20 in an eye test then the Rift is like being 20/50 an entire 4 rows worse in the reading test. That is anything but slight. To put it another way in an eye test most can read the top 8 lines. With a Rift most can only read the top 4 lines. That’s a major compromise in image quality that one cannot just ignore as it means basic things are unreadable.

Associate
Look, for some people, VR is not going to ever cut it. My brother was not that enthused until he tried Vanishing Realms and PC2, complaining it looked like a CRT screen up close. On the other hand I put a friend into PC2 and he was wowed up to the point where he spun the car and almost threw up.

Personally, I enjoy it and it's got me back into PC gaming after almost a 20 year hiatus. I still feel 2D games have not really progressed since the beginning of the century. They just look prettier. VR offers a different experience imo.

Soldato
Look, for some people, VR is not going to ever cut it. My brother was not that enthused until he tried Vanishing Realms and PC2, complaining it looked like a CRT screen up close. On the other hand I put a friend into PC2 and he was wowed up to the point where he spun the car and almost threw up.

Personally, I enjoy it and it's got me back into PC gaming after almost a 20 year hiatus. I still feel 2D games have not really progressed since the beginning of the century. They just look prettier. VR offers a different experience imo.

I disagree, most 2D AAA games have actually regressed :D

While I do feel 1st gen HMDs were very poor for IQ and I ultimately could not get around that, I did at least buy into the immersion of VR. Hence the reason I purchased an Odyssey and then a Pimax 5K+. I am totally sold on the immersion aspect, I just wanted the HMDs to deliver a better IQ. Pimax 5K+ is much sharper and has its good and bad (even poor) points but overall VR is finally viable for me with it.

Associate
Coming in as a VR virgin (if I may of course), I think the positive of reading all these insightful/sometimes sick and twisted posts etc :D , is that we have these "early days" VR headsets being available/affordable at consumer level which we can all compare and/or bitch about...(which I am all for btw...we are part of the children of the future right...)

It is quite amazing how VR has recently taken off when I think back of my early PC days when VR was basically like a full size monitor strapped to one's head and fed by various umbilical cords used only by the very elite avent-guard hard-core futurists whom where followed only in dreams by the likes of you or I...(if you old geezer like me/saw the light in Lawn Mower Man).
I think that these are such exciting times in VR and I only hope is that I'm around to savour all of it's good-ness.
My doc gave me 6 months btw (no disrespect to any early retirees out there..right behind ya ;) )
Good thread this. thx

Associate
VR is not for everyone. There, I said it.

(It is for me though :). Started with a google cardboard and my phone, then the DK2, then the Vive and possibly the Pimax 5k+. Safe to say I'm bitten by it all)

Associate
I love VR in my current rift, but I totally understand that some people can't get past the poor resolution, it's one of those marmite things. I tried playing Elite Dangerous last night on a monitor and it's was a truly horrible experience after playing in VR, I just can't go back for flying or driving games. I ended up playing C&C Tiberium Wars Kane's Wrath :).
I'm waiting on my KS Pimax 8K which should be on it's way now (fingers crossed) to improve the resolution shortfall.

Back
Top Bottom