Arma 2 + op arrowhead, essential mods ?

Associate
Hi guys , i have just purchased Arma 2 + Operation Arrowhead and i understand that in order to get online to the happening servers , im gonna need several mods, what are peoples favourite and most necessary mods , thanks for any help .

Associate
Just play Takistani life, open up arrowhead, filter the server to mission: life and takistani life will have high population usually, brilliant server.

If you're looking specifically for mods, id recommend Island Life, City Life 2, or the Invasion 44 mods.

Associate
OP
Just play Takistani life, open up arrowhead, filter the server to mission: life and takistani life will have high population usually, brilliant server.

If you're looking specifically for mods, id recommend Island Life, City Life 2, or the Invasion 44 mods.

Thanks , i will look into those , and i will have a hunt for Takistani life as well on ao , cheers !

HR4

HR4

Associate
CBA
ACE
Acex

These are the main Arma2/operation arrowhead mods to begin with, lots of online groups will require at least the first two, there will be lots of different variants as there are 100's of mods including the extra islands (100 A2 & around 50 A1 converted to run on A2).
Best thing to do, if I were you, is get Six Updater 2.8, it’s a must and will cover downloading mods, finding servers, which mods each server requires, keeping your mods upto date etc. Does it all for you..

Then visit here and have a really good look around..

You just bought one of the best games on the planet..imo

Edit: make sure that your copy is patched to 1.60, if it isn't already, lots of major improvements recently. Visit the Arma 2 website for your patch..

Last edited:
Soldato
The ACE pack. ACRE are pretty much 100% Essential for most units. Including Teamspeak3. Arma2 AND arrowhead.

99% of units will require their own modpack as well which add things like units, weapons, vehicles and maps.

Associate

I would avoid these servers like the plague, 'life' simulation isn't what Arma is about. The best way to experience Arma is to join a decent community, or unit that suits your needs and tastes. This is coming from somebody who played Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis back in the day.

As for mods, I did have around four hundred before I stupidly reinstalled Windows and forgot to back them up. At the moment, I use the following.

Core:

ACE
ACEX
ACEX_RU
ACEX_USNavy
ACRE
CBA
JayArma2Lib

Islands:

Fallujah
Lingor
29 Palms

Weapons:

RH_AKs
RH_HK416
RH_M14
RH_M4
RH_MGS
RH_Mk18
RH_PDW
RH_Pistol
RH_SMG

Units:

Bink_USMC

Sounds:

Note: I did use a complicated combination of sounds prior to reinstalling, which was unbeatable in terms of realism. I'll have to post it up sometime when I figure it out again.

ACEX_SM
J.S.R.S-1.4
RH Heli sounds

Misc:

Blastcore_Visuals
DynamicViewDistance
GDT-NightVision
LandTex
LEA
okt_noBlur

ShackTactical:

st_lb_enhance
sthud
stmovement

----------

You should be able to get most of these addons via SixUpdater (SU). Just Google for it. I would also recommend spending time in the mission editor for a while before jumping in online, get to know the weapons, vehicles and islands. If you wish to go down the 'realism' route in Arma 2 and not the silly 'life' route, get to know the game with ACE. I have noticed that there isn't much 'realism' on public servers, so get in with a decent unit.

Good basic knowledge of communication and movement won't go amiss.

I hope this helps!

I would invite you to experience my unit, however we're having server issues at the moment with our dedicated which hosts Arma and TeamSpeak.

Associate
OP
Some superb replies here guys , thank you very much , this is the exact sort of info i was needing , i was looking through some Arma mods last night and i was lost , i will start getting some of these today !

HR4

HR4

Associate
Yeah don’t get lost, its mind blowing what you have the potential of game wise, but just get the campaign under way and def get SU (six updater), it will give you the servers and mods needed for those servers, taking away the headache. If you have watched youtube MP, especially groups/clans, then you can see the great potential..

A good idea to have when and if you start modding the game is to back-up onto a external hdd or similar. I back-up my Arma 2 (I run Arma 2 Combined Operations, which is your version with Reinforcements added ( BAF British Armed Forces, & PMC Private Military Company), on a hdd drive, plus a separate one for the mods (seen in the links below). However you only use certain mod set-ups for different types of game play. I mostly make & play missions for a small group of players on a private server, I have listed below screens shots of mods I have, these don’t include many Arma (1) islands as they are on a separate hdd, but this gives you an idea of the amount of mods that the community have produced. I use Six Updater (SU) for some mods but also keep others, not available on SU, upto date manually. But SU is the way to go at the beginning, it sets it all up for you.. Obviously you won't use all these mods but its handy having as many as pos so that you can experiment as to how they change game behaviour/game-play..

Screen shot 1
Screen shot 2
Screen shot 3

I am, and I dare say many will be, more than happy to point you in the direction of tips, mods, islands etc if you need it. Sound wise one main mod will be the best to begin with, I recommend as already said in the thread here by a poster, ‘JSRS’ it is possibly the best overall sound mod, but there are others that have certain sounds that are better for certain items, but you can if you know what your doing mix and match sound mods, but that would be for when you are well into learning about the game..

Arma 2, with all the additional bits i.e. Operation Arrowhead, Reinforcements (BAF, PMC), etc is a huge game, then you have the community mods/addons that add upto over 400 with the islands, so the game-play potential is massive, the more you learn the better it becomes..

Play the campaign, then have a look through the editor, this is where, in my opinion, Arma 2 wins out, you can design and make your own missions, which can take from just a few minutes to set-up, to a few weeks, depending on how complex & difficult you want your missions to be, but great game-play can come from even the smallest skirmish type missions that has only took a few mins to set-up.

There are clans and groups (my own included), that play Arma 2 more as a sim than a game, that’s where Arma 2 takes to another level, by far the best of its type available..

Associate
The best advice anyone can give you when you are starting out,is get to grips with the game before adding mods.The game is pretty complex so start off with the base game and when you are happy you have a grasp of the basics maybe look into mods.
Stay away from life,warfare server`s until you are up to speed with the game.The bread and butter game mode is domination and will give the basics needed to play.
Warfare servers are great but you need a grasp on how to command units so not for beginners,life servers are marmite and a waste of time unless you have a admin on who understands the rules.

The armory in the single player part of the game is a good way of getting to grips with vehicles and weapons.Give it a go first.

If you like the game enough,try joining a community as arma 2 is best played that way.

Associate
OP
Thanks chaps, taking everything onboard and can't wait to get in about it ! Hopefully tonight i will get up and running properly and begin learning the ropes.

Permabanned
Hmm just downloaded invasion 1944, but I can't work out how to install it.

I downloaded CBA which I read I had to, and put it in the Arma 2 root folder. But when I click the invasion.exe it says that cba cannot be found...any ideas?

I'd love to play this so any help please.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you can't get the exe to work download the archive instead.

Put the contents in the correct locations in the Arma 2 dir and start the game, Then tick @144co and @cba in the expansions section and restart, job done.

HR4

HR4

Associate
Target line, as its a short target;

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" - beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -mod=@cba;@I44;

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2oa.exe" -nosplash -mod=@cba;@I44;

Top line if your using ‘Beta’s ‘ bottom line just for the straight forward 1.60 patch way..

If your not sure regards target line and you want quick access to the game:
Right click your desktop Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead icon
Copy and paste a new icon onto your desktop
Go into the new icon via right click then go to properties and remove the target line and insert one of the above (whichever way your playing), then click apply and o.k. then double click your new icon (which you could rename 'I44') and go straight into the game...
you then have the game as a seperate game.. saves messing around with the ingame Expansions.

Make sure your I44 and CBA are in the A2 root folder, with '@' infront of each.. @

Edit again: when your in the game the missions will probably be in 'Scenarios' not campaign.
Sorry, its like overdrive for me I forget if you have not played modded arma 2 much, don’t forget if you have not already got a ‘Missions ‘ folder in your root folder make one and put the I44 missions into that, then in-game go into the scenarios for your I44 missions.

Its easy to do in SU, but you may find if you mod a lot it will start to clash, as I44 is a mod and a game, so you may end up with all sorts of loading screens and a few conflicts between mods here and there..

This is easy for me but probably just plain confusing for you so I apologise in advance...:D

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm just downloaded invasion 1944, but I can't work out how to install it.

I downloaded CBA which I read I had to, and put it in the Arma 2 root folder. But when I click the invasion.exe it says that cba cannot be found...any ideas?

I'd love to play this so any help please.

I installed it through 6 updater and it done everything for me.

Permabanned
Thanks blasphemyweb, I used six updater and to begin with it seemed incredibly complicated but after some fiddling its installing right now and appears I'll be playing in a moment :)

Permabanned
lol it seems I am not meant to play this, I now get a "bad serial number" error when launching.

good grief.

edit : ah got it working at last, its a bit erm "rough around the edges" though, I'll have fun with it though I'm sure.

Last edited:
Soldato
Someone mentioned getting to grips with the game first before modding, great advice however i would amend it slightly and say, if you want to play with a unit or clan start right out with ACE. It changes a lot of core functions and rather than learning the game twice, hop right in with ACE and start there.

I personally dislike the SP campaigns and dont think they represent the ArmA experience at all. If you are new and inexperienced dont be afraid to join a unit. Most of them have public servers all and any can join if you dont wish to sign up right away and you can get to grips with the game and how they operate. Iv not seen a single unit yet who is unwilling to walk people through some basics while you game on their servers. And all the serious units will have trainings in game/ACE features as well as more tactical "realism" stuff as well.

The worst thing you can do is feel like a noob and try and practice in SP before playing MP. Its just going to slow you down and probably introduce poor habits. Hop right into MP and make some mates and this game will provide years of entertainment :)

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone , not had a chance to play yet but i now have it downloaded and installed.

I have gone straight in and downloaded the ACE mods , all i need now is the chance to fire her up and try it out !

Back
Top Bottom