Artic 7 - Asus P7P55D problems

Associate
Hi

Well I had an original problem on my first boot that I noticed the CPU fan was not spinning up. I went into the bios and messed with the settings and turned Q-Fan on. The fan started working so I thought fair enough...

Anyway I have been playing crysis etc and everything is ok. I thought I would monitor temps using using a bit of Prime 95 and core temp. My temps go though the roof 70-80 at stock and nearly 95 with a i5 750 at 3Ghz, so I thought something is not right. Got round to checking the fan and its stopped working again.

1. The fan will stop working when running prime95 but will spin up for Crysis.
2. When I turn Q-fan off in the bios the fan does not work at all??

Anyone have any ideas. I am under the impression that if I turn Q-fan off the Artic cooler should be running at full speed?

I am totally confused.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
OP
Hi

Its the i5 750 sorry. It will only spin up if I have the Q-fan set to enabled. it spins fine when playing crysis.

I had a few problems attaching the damn thing so had to clean up the paste on the fan. I have applied my own compound though.

RMA the fan?

/edit yes the 4pin is plugged in.

Associate
OP
Did you clean it with proper stuff? Which compound to you use? I would have RMA'd the entire thing to be honest.

Used a rag to clean it all off and then re applied the compound. I am using the compound:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-002-AK

The fan only works when Q-Fan is set to standard and will not function under silent or turbo mode.

RMA the whole lot? which bits do you mean.

Knew I should have got a pre-built, really don't have time for this :s

Soldato
A rag is not a good idea. It will leave some on that interferes with temperatures. You should use something like ethanol or a dedicated TIM remover. And that TIM isn't the best either, i would have got some MX3. But what i mean is RMA the heatsink and fan. If it's broken and you didn't buy it too long ago should should be able to return it.

Associate
OP
How would that explain the fan not spinning at all with certain options turned off in the bios?

Seems odd that it spins up for a game but not Prime 95? Works in one Bios mode and not others, will try reseating it tomorrow and then RMA it on Monday if there is still problems.

Its spinning fine now in the bios set to Q-fan standard mode : /

Thanks by the way.

Associate
OP
Aye its plugged into that one labelled CPU fan. It appears to work fine in Q-fan standard mode but just turns off for Prime 95. Very odd.

Did find this in another forum though

" invested quite a bit of time today fitting a Freezer 7 LP cooler, removing the mobo in the process to fit the fiddly retaining pins.

It initially worked well and I refitted the case sides and top and called it a day.

THEN the computer turned off and refused to reboot. It turns out the Intel CPU had overheated (2.66 Core Duo).

I have never been a fan of Asus Q Fan and don't use it so the fan was running at its max 2200RPM. I found that after 5 or so minutes the fan would falter RPM wise followed soon after by stopping.

If I use Q Fan it seems OK as it never gets above 1750RPM (and 35 deg temp).

So my question is, should I be able to use the cooler without Q Fan at constant 2200rpm.

Incidentally, my 2.66 runs fine at 3.00 but I would rather do this with Q Fan Off. At the time the fan stopped it was running at 2.66Ghz."

Sounds very similar apart from mine never works with q-fan turned off.

Associate
OP
Ok bit more experimenting with Asus fan expert in Windows.

Looks like the fan refuses to go over 900 RPM when I test it. When I try change any of the settings for the fan to run at 100% at all times its turns off.

The asus software actually sees my CPU temps at 29c and I am sick of messing with it.

Faulty Fan on the heatsink or maybe motherboard?

Bought it all from here, do overclockers help you when you ring them about parts?

Grr driving me nuts.

/edit Maybe thats why its stopping when I use prime95 and would explain why it will not work with Q-Fan off. Hitting 100% CPU (High temps) load sets Q-Fan to top RPM and its stopping. Would also explain why I could not over clock the machine. What a joke.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yep tried that one with the chassis and power 4pins headers on the motherboard and its still dead when told to run at 100%. Going to try a 4pin to 3pin adaptor to try and power if off the PSU directly, if that fails its definitely the fan and it will be going back tomorrow.

My only major concern is that I have had my i5 running a bit hot yesterday until I noticed the problem. If it was damaged I guess it would be causing problems now?

Wish the local massive chains were actually up to date and sold socket 1156 coolers and i could sort this now, useless!

Cheers for all your help.

Associate
OP
Yep it blocks the first Dimm slot which is a bit disappointing.

Ok so I picked up a 3 pin to 4 pin power cable and its still not spinning. Spins for 1 sec on power up then nothing.

From that I would come to the conclusion its definitely the Fan on the Artic.

Not sure if I should bother updating the bios if its not working with external power, always nervous with bios!

Anyone else any ideas before I RMA it?

Thanks

Chris

Soldato
Bought OEM unfortunately and I cannot find anywhere local that sells 1156 coolers.

I will be at a total loss if its the same with another cooler!

Well ive got one of the Akasa cookers, similar to the freezer and i have q-fan disabled so it runs at 100% all the time. And it must be spinning as at 4Ghz my cpu would fry if it wasnt :p

Associate
OP
Well ive got one of the Akasa cookers, similar to the freezer and i have q-fan disabled so it runs at 100% all the time. And it must be spinning as at 4Ghz my cpu would fry if it wasnt :p

Hehe. Hopefully if it is faulty I can choose something else at the same value as I cannot stand the mount mechanism for the Arctic. When you attach the heat sink to the mount you put in it pulls out push pins if your not careful. Took about 5 attempts to get it on.

Would you recommend the Akasa? Its exactly the same price.

Associate
OP
Think I might try the Akasa. Word of warning to anyone buying the Arctic Cooler is that is after reading through a Major large US retailer user comments, that the fan is very prone to failing. Not a good prospect when a lot of people running at high clocks. So glad I checked when I did and caught it hitting 90c on prime!

Back
Top Bottom