Ashes thread - England vs Australia * SPOILERS *

Associate
Surely no sports arena is complete without its own dedicated ashes thread!

Anyway, im certainly excited by the upcoming series and i just hope we give them a fight as good as last time.

Looks like a few of our batsmen have spent some valuable time in the middle and the bowlers have taken a few scalps, the only worry being Harmisons fitness!

Soldato
I think we're going to miss Jones, Trescothick and possibly Harmison, which could cost us dearly, especially when the Aussies will be going for a whitewash and to get the Ashes back.

Here's hoping though. :D

Soldato
Another injury worry for England, Ian Bell having a problem with his wrist.

Australia have Shane Watson out with his hamstring injury.

Soldato
Lot of people seem to be suggesting Giles will get the nod ahead of Panesar. A decision I really can not understand if true.

Hes not played a competitive game for the best part of a year. He was left out of the last warm up game so hasn't even been able to get himself more match fit pre-series. Finally it would send the wrong message out saying we don't trust out batsmen to score enough runs and we not gonna come at the Aussies like we did last time.

Betfair look like they've stopped taking bets for Giles now, god help us.

Last edited:
Soldato
england will retain this without a bother.. vaughan is still around so can provide advice if needed but im sure freddie will do the job!

Its the aussies that are under pressure.

Id say Giles in instead of Monty on the fast pitches.

Then again iv only followed cricket since ashes last yr so what would I know!

Anyone know if i can watch this on the internet anywhere?

Soldato
Mr Nice said:
But looks like Fletcher has picked Giles ahead of Monty.

NOICE ONE DUNC! :rolleyes:

They're thinking of the batting and Ashley is a far better batsman than Monty and is also less likely to freeze on the big occasion, especially with the Aussie supporters aiming to extract the Michael out of Monty at every opportunity.

Soldato
Ooh cant wait now, seems like forever since that glorious series last summer, hope it is exciting and nailbiting as last time, and hopefully england will come out on top, but with the injuries I do not personally see us retaining the ashes, but ill be cheering on England come 11.30 tonight.

Permabanned
Big Kev said:
They're thinking of the batting and Ashley is a far better batsman than Monty and is also less likely to freeze on the big occasion, especially with the Aussie supporters aiming to extract the Michael out of Monty at every opportunity.

I understand that, but on a 4th/5th day pitch Monty will get wickets. Giles has not played in a year and I think will not be able to bowl the requisite number of overs

Soldato
True Giles is the better batter but I think we need Monty's bowling. Harmison hasn't looked right for a while, both Flintoff and Anderson have been out for a few months and aren't exactly 100% with no match practice. If you pick Giles that gives us three bowlers who are coming back from injuries and aren't 100% match fit and 1 in Harmison who's had to miss warm up games with a side strain and isn't in the best of form.

That doesn't look promising going up against some of the best batsmen in world cricket on their home tracks.

Soldato
Walked past a big advertising board on the way to work this morning. Had Strauss in the background, punching the air, with Shane Warne in the foreground on the right-hand side, looking a little dejected. Underneath it said "The Ashes: Pros and Cons".

Had a good chuckle to myself.

Soldato
Team news according to the BBC:

Strauss, Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood, Flintoff, Jones, Giles, Harmison, Anderson, Hoggard

England start off their Ashes campaign in defensive mode.

Back
Top Bottom