Asking other halfs for 'rent'

Soldato
I have been with my girlfriend around a month and things are going great. I have my own place and she is currently renting but will be moving out in July.

She mentioned she would be looking for a flat share at around £400 inc bills for 1 room in a 4 bed house in a not so nice area. I did say, something on the lines of "lets see how things go and there may be an easier alternative" which she looked happy about.

It is my understanding that a 'cohabiting partner' is not the same as a lodger so there are a few things to think about (if things do work out)

a. Cohabiting partner can have a beneficial interest in the property if they are either paying towards bills, rent or upkeep of the property. Lodgers do not but have their own rights
b. Lodgers have to have their own room and bathroom and have different rights to cohabiting partner
c. As I have had help from family for purchase of property I would like to protect them from anyone taking a beneficial interest in the property

Who on here has asked for rent/money towards property from their other half?
Do I just say the money is 'towards food'?
Do I propose the situation as her being a lodger in my property? (no problem, i have a spare room with its own bathroom)
Has anyone asked partners to sign a cohabitation agreement? (A couple of my friends have but seems a bit extreme) Also, this would cost around £1000+ from a family solicitors

Soldato
OP
I used to. We sat down and hashed out some bits and bobs without the use of any sort of agreement or solicitors etc. Agreed a plan should the worst happen and just talked it through. Like you it was after just a few months and I had the same concerns.

That was 12 years ago... it can work!

The agreement we had to make things a bit clearer was that she paid for food, some non essential bills like sky etc and she was happy with that.

Good stuff :) It would be quite a lot of food and non essential bills for around £400 a month

edit - that said, i probably spend about £300/month on food just for myself - picking up bits every other day, lunches out and occasional evening meal / deliveroo.

Think I might use something similar if she is up for it - i.e. she pays for food, sky and internet

So you haven't proposed anything and she hasn't accepted the idea you were only thinking ?

Seems abit vague.

Moving in together after just 1 month is a little soon imo

Clearly you cannot read
'I have my own place and she is currently renting but will be moving out in July' i.e. She would be moving in in 5 months if things go well

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
oh for God's sake just let her move in and see how it goes, don't charge her anything or she'll think you're a knob.

Nah, shes a 'go dutch' type girl. If she cant afford to do something, she simply wont let me pay for it (which I like)
She will actually want to pay her way, but i also need to protect my family who helped me with my property.

There have been cases where other halves have declared a beneficial interest in the property after contributing toward its upkeep which resulted in the sale of the property to 'pay them out' ...Better being a knob who's still left with his house

Back
Top Bottom