ASRock DeskMini X300

Associate
So to support the new Ryzen APU's (Renoir), the 4000 series of APU's, ASRock have announced their update to the DeskMini A300, the DeskMini X300.
https://www.asrock.com/nettop/AMD/DeskMini X300 Series/index.asp

DeskMini%20X300%20Series(L2).png

It looks practically identical, only changes i can see (having built an A300) is it supports faster RAM (3200) and apparently has a beefier cooler come with it.

Price will determine whether its a good option as a mini-office PC or HTPC.

Associate
Keep in mind if you have an A300 there is a 3.60N BIOS that adds Renoir APU support anyway, so as an upgrade over the previous DeskMini it doesn't offer anything at all really.

Soldato
Whatever happened to the Deskminis with the MXM graphics cards? They were notoriously expensive and hard to get hold of, I believe the best on offer was around RX580 performance and then they quietly disappeared? I have to admit I was one of the few excited about that product line, but we've had no RX5000 or RTX2000 versions.

bol

bol

Associate
Does anyone have one of these yet, I am about to order some ram for the X300 but need to know if ram can be overclocked through the bios options. Currently have an A300 and I don't believe it's possible on the bios I have installed.many thanks.
Also looking to order a cpu for the best apu gaming experience, 3400g with the vega11 seems to be the best so far but the prohibitively expensive 4750g edges it out on some gaming benchmarks due to the Vega8 running at 2000 mhz against the 1400mhz of the 3400g.
Luckily the gpu is overclockable on the x300 I believe.
So with some decent ram overclock and an overclocked igpu this will narrow the gap somewhat.
I also believe the ram overclock tops about at 3200mhz.
Decent cooler needed too.

Associate
Yes i got one just before xmas. Great little thing very overclockable currently i have 3200mhz ram running at 3600mhz and an old 2200g running at 3.9ghz with overclocked graphics.
only mod so far has been a better cpu fan to keep it cool. looking to pick up a ryzen 5 4650 when i have the cash as they are cheap on the chinese websites!

Associate
I'm watching the price off them on Aliexpress and if i dont get caught for duties it would be good value lol.
Plus my son has said the x300 will never run certain games so i'm out to prove him wrong !!

Soldato
So how does that work in respect to VAT now ? If I buy something from an EU country, do I buy VAT free and pay here or do I pay VAT at source and only be liable for import duty ?

Anyone any experience yet ?

Buy it VAT free (for export) and you pay the UK VAT and import duties at point of entry. In general the admin fees charged by the courier companies make most personal direct imports too expensive unless what you are buying is too cheap to be true ie. Chinese fakes.

Back
Top Bottom