Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

Soldato
Well, Worth A Buy on Youtube talked about it and said it's rubbish that the game has the option available. He still went on to say that he loved the game, which is odd. I don't like the idea and I can't believe that this is the way that we're headed. Games really aren't what they used to be...

Having said that, I didn't play Origins, and I'm intrigued at how this would play on the back of the WAB review. I may pick this up when it drops in price, but as it was when Origins came out, I don't feel like this should be called "Assassin's Creed" because that doesn't seem to apply anymore, but I can see that they want to keep the name for marketing reasons...

I wholeheartedly agree, for the options to even be there is a bit low, and I also agree those games shouldn't be called AC. Ubi should drop the franchise and just make a series of historical RPGs focusing on different periods/civilisations.

Having said that, both this and Origins have probably the most impressive and detailed open worlds in recent years and are massive, fun to play/explore and just good value for money.

Soldato
That's because the issue is completely overblown and while it's low to sell boosters, they're absolutely not needed to progress at a normal pace. Besides, I can't imagine anyone playing a game with such a world without touching any of the side content.

Associate
I seem to be moving up the levels quick enough without needing any boosters. I’m level 12 now and have not been playing long.

Was level 7 upon leaving the first island. Think there's a kind of soft cap at around 6. On the world map it appears each region has its appropriate levels written over them - that is if I am not mistaken?

Shawrey

Soldato
Saying that I’m currently level 12 and my next mission is a level 15 so I need to raise 3 levels before really attempting the mission. I have done lots of side activities too....

They have definitely nerfed the level system after level 12. Just done loads and not even progressed half a level. Will have to have a look at what I’m doing as I’m not paying to level up quicker...

Last edited:
Soldato
Saying that I’m currently level 12 and my next mission is a level 15 so I need to raise 3 levels before really attempting the mission. I have done lots of side activities too....

They have definitely nerfed the level system after level 12. Just done loads and not even progressed half a level. Will have to have a look at what I’m doing as I’m not paying to level up quicker...
Isn’t there a free XP booster in the Ubisoft shop?

Soldato
It’s taken me 3 hours to go from level 12 to 15. Even using a ubi club boost.....

Huge amounts of grinding needed to get to the higher levels I’m kind of loosing interest rapidly tbh.

I’m either doing something very wrong or the levelling has been nerfed. I never had this with Origins ?

Soldato
The levelling does seem slow but it's fine with me,I have only just gone to the other Island and got the big ship so will see how it pans out.

Soldato
It’s a shame as the game is really good but it’s obviously had the levelling reduced passed level 12 which turns it into a fetch quest grindathon or paying for The XP boost. Tbh I may just shelve this for now and see if it gets fixed as there is quite a lot of backlash at ubi at the moment when you read online.

Its a shame as I was enjoying it.

Soldato
The game is superb and easily one of the best Assassins creed games yet. Until you reach level 12 then it turns into a painful grind fest. Ubi have obviously nerfed the levelling and also removed the option to disable enemy auto levelling which makes the whole levelling system pointless other than to annoy or make you pay for XP boosters so you can do the story missions.

I’m level 15 now and most missions I have are between level 20-50.

It’s annoying as this was not an issue on Origins and enemy auto levelling could be disabled. Ubi need a punch in the chops and hopefully the backlash will get something sorted as it’s a fantastic game being ruined by publisher greed.

Caporegime
Hmm, I was considering jumping in early but hearing the issues around levelling I'm not so sure now. Ill wait for them to either sort it, or pick it up in a sale for £25.

Soldato
TBH I only bought it because of the trade-in offer GAME are running. I was wary because of the XP Boost thing.

After playing it for a good 8-10 hours, I'm finding the levelling system can be a bit of a nightmare. It takes ages to level up, and enemies auto-level within a set window. So if you're struggling with a Level 10 quest, advancing one level won't necessarily help. You'll need to advance 2/3/4 levels until you pass the level cap for that quest/area.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure it's only a problem if you plough ahead with the main story too quickly without exploring enough and doing enough side quests. I've struggled where I've done several main story quests in a row, and found it easier when I remember to explore the area, pick up side quests, etc. so I guess it depends how you like to play open world games.

With an easier levelling system, this would be a 9/10 game for me, falling short of The Witcher 3 simply because the world isn't quite as alive; NPCs outside of the main story seem a bit dull and lifeless.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's because the issue is completely overblown and while it's low to sell boosters, they're absolutely not needed to progress at a normal pace. Besides, I can't imagine anyone playing a game with such a world without touching any of the side content.

It doesn't look like normal pace is how those posting up now are progressing post level 12, and this is something that Mack mentioned on his WAB review. It looks very much like Ubisoft want you to pay for the boost in order to keep up with the game levels. I also read that you can't just assassinate someone unless they are within your level range, which is totally rubbish. That's not how the previous games worked and it shouldn't be a thing in this. How do they deal with this from a story point-of-view? Do they say something along the lines of "you're a noob and aren't very good to start but practice will make you better?"

Soldato
The side quests and exploring areas unlocking, boat bits etc only give small amounts of XP or double if you pay £15.99 to ubi you need to grind hours of it to level up. You cannot assassinate anyone a higher level than you you just knock down their health and then you fight them. Enemies higher levels are brutal anything over a couple of levels is not worth trying. The enemies also level up as you do so you are always needing to level up to be able to do the missions but the enemies are at your level. It’s an endless grind to level without much reward really. You could turn this off in Origins and they said you could in this but the option is missing.

It starts of superb but after 4-5 hours or so it becomes monotonous and annoying. You cannot progress the story without hours of grinding or paying for an XP boost. If I pay the ubi tax I would be level 32 and able to progress through the story. I have done hours of side quests and exploring etc and have progressed a few levels.

I have shelved it for now and will see if it is patched or the levelling fixed in the future.

Last edited:
Soldato
The side quests and exploring areas unlocking, boat bits etc only give small amounts of XP or double if you pay £15.99 to ubi you need to grind hours of it to level up. You cannot assassinate anyone a higher level than you you just knock down their health and then you fight them. Enemies higher levels are brutal anything over a couple of levels is not worth trying. The enemies also level up as you do so you are always needing to level up to be able to do the missions but the enemies are at your level. It’s an endless grind to level without much reward really. You could turn this off in Origins and they said you could in this but the option is missing.

It starts of superb but after 4-5 hours or so it becomes monotonous and annoying. You cannot progress the story without hours of grinding or paying for an XP boost. If I pay the ubi tax I would be level 32 and able to progress through the story. I have done hours of side quests and exploring etc and have progressed a few levels.

I have shelved it for now and will see if it is patched or the levelling fixed in the future.

Isn't it £7.99 for 50% more XP? Or £11.99 if you want the combined 50% XP and gold boost? I haven't seen a permanent double XP boost.

Still very poor conduct on Ubisoft's part. With the backlash they're getting I wouldn't be surprised if it causes sales and profit to be lower than expected.

Soldato
Yeah it’s in Helix credits that you buy so £7.99 for for 1050 and you get %50 more XP permanent in the game. I thought it was double but read it wrong....

Soldato
It doesn't look like normal pace is how those posting up now are progressing post level 12, and this is something that Mack mentioned on his WAB review. It looks very much like Ubisoft want you to pay for the boost in order to keep up with the game levels. I also read that you can't just assassinate someone unless they are within your level range, which is totally rubbish. That's not how the previous games worked and it shouldn't be a thing in this. How do they deal with this from a story point-of-view? Do they say something along the lines of "you're a noob and aren't very good to start but practice will make you better?"

I don't know, I've done exploring and some sidequests, had random fun in general etc. and I'm now level 16 with my next story quest being a level below I think and three areas completed. Not noticing an immense grind so far on hard difficulty, TBH. Maybe it will change.

Back
Top Bottom