Assembling my new mobo and CPU

Associate
As a result of these threads of mine:
My current system:
  • "Titan Envy M DC" Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz Overclocked Nvidia GeForce Gaming PC
  • MSI GeForce GTX 980 4096MB Graphics Card (upgraded from original GTX 760)
  • Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST2000DM001) HDD
  • Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gb/s Basic - (MZ-7TE250BW)
  • Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Red (HX24C11BRK2/8-OC)
  • Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit (upgraded from 8.1)
It also has a water cooler which looks like this one (may be a slightly different model but its the same size/look): https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...cpu-cooler-240mm-cw-9060040-ww-hs-03n-cs.html

I have now purchased:
So have these questions:

1. The CPU came with a large fan assembly. The bottom of the fan appears to have some sticky paste on it - I am guessing this is thermal paste. It is spread exactly on the part where it meets the CPU, and was protected from being wiped off by a plastic cover. I have also purchased some thermal paste. If I use this fan, should I apply thermal paste to the CPU before attaching the fan. I am concerned because everything I have read/watched online says you must apply thermal paste. But also that you should not apply too much - I found "2 x grain of rice" is the amount. So should I need to apply my own paste?

2. If I use my corsair water cooler, then I am sure I will need to use my own paste. So my question here is which cooling system should I use? - the heat-sink and fan that comes with the CPU looks pretty beefy! On the other hand the water cooled system has 2 fans - but for some reason (see the first thread link) my CPU fans run quite fast and my current core i7 gets hot. My current system does appear to cool fast - in that when I max out the CPU it gets to ~100*C, but as soon as I stop it drops within seconds to ~45*C. So I think the water cooling is working, but there could be a partial issue with pump or it could be a bad contact with the CPU. So... should I use the water cooled system (and hope its just needs more thermal paste) or will the fan that comes with the CPU be sufficient/better option to start with?

Looking for advice really, what do people think is the best way to approach this?

Soldato
That's thermal paste that they stick on at the factory so you can mount it straight onto the CPU however most people will wipe it off and apply there own paste as its better quality stuff...

If you want to use the stock cooler it will be fine cooling the 3700X if your not overclocking, also if you want to use your water cooler you may need to buy an AM4 bracket unless it came in the box when you bought it

Associate
OP
thanks guys! I'll install the stock cooler :) - I will look into the am4 bracket at a later date - I don't think I have that since it was installed by overclockers when I first purchased it. There will be a gaping hole in the top of my PC when I remove the water cooler fans - (well its a grill) but I guess I can just cover that with anything (cardboard and gaffer tape!?) because I assume that holes on the top of the unit is bad for front to back air flow (there are fans on the front and back of the PC box as well).

Back
Top Bottom