Assignments :(

Associate
What kind of word counts do people's assignments have?

I know how you feel, especially with doing research on the internet, it's so easy just to start looking at other sites and before you know it, 3 hours have gone by.

I have 3 assignments due in Dec 14th, I just had the week off work to do as much as I can, but only managed 3/4 of one assignment. Oh well, still have a few weekends...

Associate
Death Star or Mount Doom, it depends on the day.
i vote the mods ban the op until his work is doen

I agree and someone hack into his facebook also and change his password!;)

TBH, a majority of the time I just use to pick at them bit by bit! Do so many hundred words and call it a night. That way your only doing an hour each night. It really does work. Although, I must admit I have left a few till lat minute when I have been really stuck on them. :eek:

Soldato
Always mean to start stuff early, never do. Just can't change it, its not like I have anything better to do half the time; but anyhting seems better than starting work.

Man of Honour
So what makes up the other 80% or so of marks?

Exams/presentations/groupwork or other 15-20% courseworks?

Most of my assignments throughout university were around 2,000 words as a guideline and as I said above there were a fair few that were done in a rather last minute fashion. My dissertation guideline was for it to be around 10,000 words +- 10%.

Soldato
Got stuff to do for uni atm, but I'm too high on pain pills and in too much pain to string sufficiently coherent sentences :(

Soldato
I had 3 due in 9am tomorrow morning. I started them Thurs evening and finished them sat evening. :D

All I have left to do now is my Project Proposal for my FYP, and do the second part of one of the ones I've just done which is just running some tests on an application I'll be supplied with.

EDIT:

Mid working...

DSC_6391.jpg

Associate
Urgh. Done all my essays/reports the night before for the past 2 years of my degree...same as i said last year: THIS YEAR WILL BE DIFFERENT! :o

...i never learn. :(
Ditto. Always seems to be that I plan to do them three to four days in advance, only at the time to realise I have other things to do for the first two of those days and subsequently rushing out the assignment on the last day.

Soldato
I can only work under pressure - need a deadline, and I will generally do it the night before. If it is more important, i.e. coursework, I'll give it a few days.

General rule: If its not due in the next day, and you have better stuff to do, don't bother.

Soldato
Gah, I'm finding it really hard to find enthusiasm this year. Last year I had 4 interesting units to work through for my HND - business management techniques, materials engineering, engineering design and programmable logic control. They were all pretty interesting.

This year I have planning and scheduling principles (looking at all kinds of stocking systems, ordering systems and techniques etc), project management, managing the work of individuals and teams (appraisal structuring, job specification analysis etc), and advanced CAD.

The only one I'm finding remotely interesting is advanced CAD, and as such I'm fiding it really difficult to muster any enthusiasm to get any work done. I have about 5,000 words to fit in between now and the 4th.

Associate
Does anybody else have problems starting assignments and leave them to the last minute like me. People say its best to just start them early than to leave them till late and rush them. But i can never get round to doing it, always put it off to the last minute. Can anybody relate to this? or have any tips lol. Maybe im just lazy

Did you manage to do your assignment then?:)

Soldato
When I was at College.. I used to get my course work out of the way as soon as I could.. I hated knowing I had work to do.. it's much nicer knowing you've done it in plenty of time (It got me a Distinction on my course so i'm guessing it worked for me lol)

Associate
oh uni for me was horrific, pretty much every major deadline was preceded by an all nighter, i failed my dissertation because i left it so late and when i came to resubmit i stayed up for 48 hours again!

all worked out somehow in the end but those lonley 3 am work sessions when everyone else is getting their shut eye where awful

Associate
I find that i do and i don't do this, often stuff that's either short or i find personally interesting i'll start pretty much as soon as i get it. I find that i'll always finish my work the night before but more than likely i would have started it long before.

You know them moments where you'll have an hour gap between lectures or something which isn't really enough time to do anything else these are the times you wanna pop to the library or wherever to get a little bit done.

Doing it in little chunks helps me as i have a very short attention span or unless i'm interested in it. Might be an approach some people might want to take as i used to be a last minute man in my first year but had to change my ways.

Back
Top Bottom