ASUS AIMESH (AC86U or AC5300)?

Soldato
Hello,

My internet throughout the house is very good (ASUS RT-AC86U, just ran a speedtest over WiFi as far away from the router as I can be and I get 212.0 Mbps download 34.4 Mbps upload (that's in the house)).

However, I'd like to improve the WiFI in the garden / Man Cave, the Man Cave has CAT6 cabling from the ASUS RT-AC86U router in the house. I'm thinking of getting another ASUS RT-AC86U and setting up AIMESH to (hopefully) have seemliness coverage everywhere.

I can purchase a new ASUS RT-AC86U for ~£150 or a second hand AC 5300 for the same...

Am I best getting a second ASUS RT-AC86U or the AC 5300?

or would you recommend something else completely?

I don't know Asus' AIMesh feature, but mesh in general is of benefit where you can't run an ethernet cable. If I understand correctly, you have ethernet down there already? If so then spend considerably less on a straightforward Access Point would be my recommendation.

Hi, yeah there is a cable running to the Man Cave, my networking knowledge is "iffie" at best so cheers for the response.

To clarify there is one CAT6 cable running into the Man Cave, this currently runs into a very old router set in repeater mode, which gives a poor WiFi signal and slow LAN connection to my main Network. I'm updating to get a 1GB LAN connection and a decent WiFi, my thought was the AIMESH would achieve this and everything would be on the same SSID, can I do this with e Access Point?

Thanks again,

Thanks for the advice, just to confuse matters I think I've set the 2nd router in AP mode and it does work, but for some reason the PC in the Man Cave can not be seen on my Network, it's only 100mb (I think it's a Netgear WNR2000) so I'm overdue an upgrade, although I'm obviously happy to save cash and buy wisely :)

Just thought AIMESH would be the easiest way, I'm more than happy to be corrected!

I've got a growing amount of Alexa controlled smart home appliances so I'm trying to make the WiFi as robust and future proof as possible.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info BigT, really appreciate it, Ubiquiti UAPs look very interesting, I'll do some reading and make a decision.
The Man cave is only 6x3m, I'd be happy if I can see the PC on my Network and the shed Alexa is on the same network

In the meantime does anyone have any experience with AIMESH?

Back
Top Bottom