ASUS AUF mobo with 7900X cpu temps

Soldato
hey guys,

As mentioned in another post, i have just setup my "new" rig..but the temps are a concern to me.

can someone point me in the right (easy) direction to allow cooler running on the CPU? I know i will loose several percent performace but if it lowers my temps 5-10 degrees, worth it!

cheers.

You can use something like curve optimiser however the new AMD cpus will run at 95Degrees most of the time no matter what you do. I seem to recall one of the youtubers do a experiment and the only way they could get the temps down a little was to delid, liquid metal and direct die cooling with mad water chiller.

thanks. am I ok leaving at those temps though while im gaming??? I came from a 5700X3D and ran cool on my 360mm rad..

so a bit of a change on this CPU lol!

7900x in particular seem to run the hottest out of the 7000 line up, upto 95c is the official limit they can run at, normally in games you should see mid to high 70's, if the action gets intense then it will make the CPU spike.

A friend of mine has a 7900x and like you was concerned about his 97c spike temps so I guided him through how to setup a custom temp target via the bios, after he's seeing mid 70c max spikes and normally low to mid 60's in games.

thanks, I will monitor it and go from there over the next couple days!

What are the temps? You shouldn't be seeing super high temps while gaming, but while using Cinebench, sure.

You can use eco mode, or a negative offset with the curve optimiser, though you also need to power limit because an undervolt will just increase the boost envelope and it'll hit higher clocks :o

It is fine, here's an informative video if you have 20 minutes.

From AMD themselves:

will have a look at that, thanks Tetras.

I was in the same shoes as you are initially after building my first Ryzen based System.

I wouldn’t bother with Ryzen Master as it kept setting a -30 Curve Optimiser for me and was not stable at all.

With my 7600x I simply adjusted Fan Curve (Both CPU and Case Fans) to be far less aggressive to reduce fans ramping up and down dramatically.

The main issue with a Default Curve is anything 70/80/90c tends to demand 100% Fan Speed which by design these CPU’s can run at 95c Safely and will try to Achieve 95c (To maintain and achieve highest possible boost clocks)

I basically created a Fan Curve which draws a line beyond a certain temperature to avoid them becoming unnecessarily audible but enough to keep temperatures in check.

I tried Eco Mode etc etc with my 7600x which worked fantastically but did suffer a slight performance drop.

In the end I settled on -28 Negative Curve Optimiser and reduced Power Limits and Target Temp which dropped my temps, ensured boost clocks are maintained and actually increased performance from stock.

What Motherboard do you have? I could find a Guide which you can follow step by step using the same BIOS to make it a little easier if you aren’t familiar.

I’m not an expert by any means, but after research and echoing advice this seems the way to do a quick and easy undervolt on these CPU’s.

Please. My board is Asus TUF GAMING B650-E WIFI.

Same Motherboard as me!

This Video is Explaining the Steps on your exact BIOS so everything will be like for like.

I generally reduced Fan Noise by 50% and Temps Significantly.

I can’t remember if I even bothed with Temp Limit as it was a while back but I can check and update in an hour or two.

lol, what are the chances..

thanks mate, will have a wee look at that. Thanks also @Tetras for the vid too!

I was like a cat in the headlights as it was my first Ryzen CPU and have been out of the loop for many years so I initially used Ryzen Master Software which runs a test to determine what is achievable for your CPU which dialled in -30 but this had instabilities since I experienced crashes in BF2042 after 5/10 minutes of Gameplay.

I then decided to apply the Negative Curve Optimiser using the BIOS by setting a -20 which gave me no issues then on to -25 again no issues before fine tuning to -28. (Being Happy with Acoustic's and Temps I left it there and have had no issues since)

Perhaps just try the Curve Optimiser and Fan Curve before seeing if you need to go further adjusting Power Limit, Temp Target and so on as this should improve things in general gaming application by a fair margin.

yes, thats what i will do. heading off for the night so will tackle this tomorrow.

thanks again mate. will keep you updated! :)

105w eco mode will drop temps significantly but also your boost clocks will be a fair bit lower, gaming should be ok but cou heavy work loads will suffer a bit.

Yeah, I watched a gamers nexus video on that, and performance a wasn’t too bad multi core , and I know it’s not the best chip for gaming, but 90% of it will be for gaming anyways…

The non-X was my choice as I wouldn’t be okay running a CPU at 95C 24/7, even if it is intended to do so, according to AMD. Running on Eco mode you pretty much turn the 7900x into an 7900. And turning PBO will pretty much turn the 7900 into the 7900X, but will be few exceptions.
On another note, the fact that the newly released 9000 series doesn’t boost to 95C as standard makes me wonder if that behaviour was a good choice to begin with.

Yeah, 95c just doesn’t seem healthy..

just trying out eco 65w mode.

I’m still getting 5.5ghz under moderate and gaming load..when I pushed it to all core on the 7900x it didn’t leave the 40s!
Although it did down lock to around 4.3ghz but I’m not looking for productivity from the system anyways.

The main thing is I’m on am5 and can drop a x3d chip in down the line if I wish!

Have you tried in addition to Eco Mode using a Negative Curve Optimiser? Try -20

It should allow the CPU to boost a little higher due to the undervolt even within 65W Eco Mode.

Did you tailor your Fan Curve yet?

Will do that tomorrow mate. Today was the first I put 100% load onto it to see where I was at.

Back
Top Bottom