Asus EEE 901 installing new SSD drive?

Associate
I bought a portable EEE 901 with XP 12gb. I didn't know the hdd was split 4gb for XP and 8gb for apps. I have approx 200mb left on the main drive.

My question is, can I upgrade the SSD hard drive? Is there a way to copy all the data from one to the other? How would I install XP without a CD ROM drive?

Soldato
You can install a larger SSD.....likely a bit fiddly and not too cheap.....plus warranty issues.....

Try using nLite to create a slimmed-down XP - that is what i did......went for the 20GB model, as I already have a few XP licences, then - via nLite - made myself a tidy SP3 installation which, even with other carp installed on the C-drive since, still leaves me comfortably over 1GB free :)

Associate
You can install a larger SSD.....likely a bit fiddly and not too cheap.....plus warranty issues.....

Try using nLite to create a slimmed-down XP - that is what i did......went for the 20GB model, as I already have a few XP licences, then - via nLite - made myself a tidy SP3 installation which, even with other carp installed on the C-drive since, still leaves me comfortably over 1GB free :)

I'm just waiting for my 901 20GB Linux version to arrive and was thinking of putting XP onto it as I have an old license doing nothing. Is the linux 20gb drive partitioned similarly to the XP version??

Soldato
Yep, 4GB primary SSD (fast) and 16GB secondary (not too fast)

The primary SSD *has* to be where you put Windows, really, as all reports I have seen suggest that the secondary SSD is not really up to it. That said, I have Office 2007, Acronis True Image, Football Manager 2008 and more all on the secondary SSD and these fellas seem fine......

Seriously suggest nLite or similar, and then some fiddling with Temp folders etc., to maximise your free space on primary SSD - things like DO NOT use Hibernate as that steals 1GB space, remove Page File and so on - there is tonnes of good info out there, I have only had mine for a week and am still getting to know it, but have to say I am delighted :)

Soldato
You can upgrade the SSD.....soon ;)

Buffalo's 32GB and 64GB SSDs For Eee PC Get Launch Date, Price

Asus's EeePC 901 has already proved itself very hackable but Buffalo's newest product won't require much modding: 32GB or 64GB replacement SSD's. Not much more to say, apart from the obvious: more storage, more impact resilient, longer battery life. The best bit? The 32GB SHD-EP9M32G is a mere $156, and the 64GB SHD-EP9M64G an equally neat $316. Available in Japan at first, mid-September.

source: http://gizmodo.com/5030328/buffalos-32gb-and-64gb-ssds-for-eee-pc-get-launch-date-price

......but for the time being try nlite :)

Back
Top Bottom