ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 2

It's really not a hassle though

Tethering drains your phone battery quite sharply (WiFi + constant 3G data downloading is intense for aphone), meaning that while on the road there's a real chance you will lose phone connectivity as a result of no juice left.

An inbuilt SIM means less hassle and no impact on your phone. Besides, whether you consider it a hassle or not is completely subjective... many people want the option of being able to use a data SIM in a tablet, and some people like myself also get a company data SIM for on the go travelling that they could stick in there at no cost to themselves.

If you don't use it then that's fine and dandy, but there is clearly a market for it based on sales of 3G tablets, and not having the option is a pain for many.

Tethering drains your phone battery quite sharply (WiFi + constant 3G data downloading is intense for aphone), meaning that while on the road there's a real chance you will lose phone connectivity as a result of no juice left.

An inbuilt SIM means less hassle and no impact on your phone. Besides, whether you consider it a hassle or not is completely subjective... many people want the option of being able to use a data SIM in a tablet, and some people like myself also get a company data SIM for on the go travelling that they could stick in there at no cost to themselves.

If you don't use it then that's fine and dandy, but there is clearly a market for it based on sales of 3G tablets, and not having the option is a pain for many.

I agree with you there, tethering eats battery life like nothing else, it would be good for all tablets to give the option, only few I can think of in the UK anyway are the iPad, Xoom and some of the Samsung Galaxy Tabs, there should be more!

I bought my wife the original Asus Transformer, and was pretty disappointed with the camera quality for webcam usage. Other than that.. it is a fantastic device if you don't need a good quality video feed.

If the prime fixes the minor niggles with the video... I'd recommend it :-)

I've been looking forward to the prime, but the price is pretty steep compared to the transformer. (bear in mind I got the transformer for £349 new for a 32GB model with a keyboard, screen protector and case.)

Last edited:
to be fair £500 for 32GB's and keyboard is a fair price. If you'll be using it regularly its well worth its asking price.

For a shiny new toy though - it is a tad pricey.

Pre Ordered mine from the computer planet place with £50 offer voucher. If better offer comes up then I will just cancel the pre-order or get it refunded.

I'm disappointed that it doesn't have 5GHz WiFi. My home network is 802.11g on 2.4GHz and 802.11n on 5GHz due to the limitations of my router, I'm now wondering if I'm going to find that watching HD video stored on my server is going to stutter, I guess my PS3 seems to be able to play HD content OK...

Also annoyed that I can't buy it without the keyboard, I'm not sure I will use it, and I'd like to save the £100 or so it adds to the bundle.

I was going to pre-order, I think I'll wait till January so I can actually see one before I buy.

Edit: Although I did read that it uses a WiFi chip that does have 5GHz but it has been disabled, so I wonder if this is an option that might be enabled in the future...

Found where it mentions the WiFi, bottom of the page: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5163/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-nvidia-tegra-3-review

Last edited:
That anandtech review and follow-up are mostly very prasieworthy.

Anyone know if it is possible to install a remote mouse app on Android? I use Logitech Touchmouse on my iphone to control my laptop when it's plugged into the TV, hope there is something similar for this so I can completely replace my laptop.

Maybe I need to be clearer. I want to use an Apple app to control an android tablet with my iphone. This would require the Apple app on the iphone and an android server app on the tablet, is it possible?

Last edited:
Yh the £50 voucher from Computer Planet Place is min spend of £200 over like a 2 week period of some thing silly. But oh well its better than nothing and an excuse for me to buy more Tech :-D

Back
Top Bottom