Asus or gigabyte ???

Associate
Based on reviews from BuildZoid the best Z390 motherboards by far for power delivery are from Gigabyte, the only Asus board worth mentioning is the Gene which he speaks highly of but it’s more for XOC as it’s limited in only having two DIMM slots. I just hope Asus get the Crosshair VIII right as that’s the one I’m eyeing as I’m tied into their ecosystem.

Soldato
Personally i have only ever had problem with asus boards. MSI all the way for me.

a bad bios can make for a lot of problem even when your not in it
But is everyone saying the ui is bad on gigabyte rather than just having technical issues with the bios?

Had an amazing gigabyte board for my 4790k and now I'm on a Asus board for my itx, no problems there either.

Permabanned
But is everyone saying the ui is bad on gigabyte rather than just having technical issues with the bios?

Personally I have have problem with turning options off but they have stayed on, setting voltages and bios just dose as it wants. And setting cpu speeds to find bios just sets it a bin or 2 lower.

This as been on 2 boards I have owned bios updates some times fixs this but you shouldn't have to do this the board should work out of the box

Soldato
I was going to ask what to do, as my z370i recently just died hard, and need to find another.

Needs 2xM.2 and no stupid I/O shield to block my top down cooler. MSI/Gigabyte do seem to have some options but seemingly Asrock is the way to go? How's the BIOS?

Soldato
My Asus X99 Sabertooth was faulty whereas my Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion is rock solid. I've only had problems with Asus whereas Gigabyte have been good for me. Anecdotal I know.

Permabanned
Has to have Intel LAN (not Realtek) and non-Realtek audio.
I've always gone Asus, but the latest one I bought did have issues, long time before I need to buy another tho.

Associate
Just gone back to Asus ROG STRIX Z390F much better board than the Gigabyte Z370 ultra gaming dam bios what a head ache 5ghz @ 1.332V, level 3, AVX 0, board for me way more stable than the gigabyte board with my 8700k

Associate
Just gone back to Asus ROG STRIX Z390F much better board than the Gigabyte Z370 ultra gaming dam bios what a head ache 5ghz @ 1.332V, level 3, AVX 0, board for me way more stable than the gigabyte board with my 8700k

Good to hear as I have the exact same motherboard, upgraded over Christmas from a low end Gigabyte board with an i5 760 that lasted well for years, so I intended to get a Gigabyte board again for this upgrade. Turns out there was an extremely good deal on an i5 9600 and the Asus Strix Z390F combo so I went for that, with the Strix being a deluxe model compared to my Gigagbyte board that only cost £65 back in 2010.

Bought it and all installed and working fine only to discover on this forum that without me even knowing what VRMs are, that apparently this board has bad ones. Even if it does I have to say that the BIOS is superb and enabled XMP 2 for 3000mhz speed ram with one click, no issues at all, not even overclocked the processor yet as it was such a big upgrade for me booting to 4.5 ghz or so. Also am very impressed with the onboard sound on the strix.

8700K or 9700k was a potential upgrade path for me so glad to hear it's working well for you on the same board. Also noticed that the board comes with a small fan mount for a 40mm or 50mm fan to help cool the VRMs, haven't installed mine, but I imagine that will help a lot if the VRMs aren't up to scratch.

Soldato
Asus have put out rubbish for years and chosen to back it up with appalling service/support. The logic seems to be if you make it look like a transformer wiped its arse with a PCB and put some (sometimes barely functional) RGB lighting on, then people will pay over the odds for it, you can string them along with promises of fixing basic BIOS issues as long as it overclocks OK and just ignore them as soon as you launch a new SKU. If/when they do send you a board back, you can either refuse the RMA because it's (insert day here) and you don't do RMA's on (insert day here) or send out any old non functional junk and see how many times before people get sick of it. Why do they get away with this? Because the one thing they do better than other players in the market is bribe market well with 'influencers'. They did it with the networking side with faked FCC certification, ignored known security holes for years till a very large retail partner stated they were going to pull the brand and were fined heavily in the US/had to agree to decades of external audits. The motherboard side is equally messed up, BIOS' plagued by fundamentally basic issues and then support dumped as soon as they've churned another version out. Asrock/Gigabyte/MSI/Supermicro tend to be a better bet overall (an extra few hundred Mhz vs weeks of no product because of crappy RMA service)... unless you have a pet transformer who prefers Asus to puppies.

Many years ago ASUS were a quality brand and worth paying a premium for, but for at least the last decade that's not been the case on RMA's/support and the overall quality seems to be a secondary focus to branding/marketing, what happened to making a good product that justified a premium price and standing by them?

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Gigabyte is the new king for charging crazy high prices for there motherboards & GPU these days,
There even starting to make Asus stuff look cheap :D

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...el-z390-ddr4-e-atx-motherboard-mb-57p-gi.html
£950 for just a motherboard :eek:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1ak-gi.html
£1590 for there top air cooled GPU (That £90 higher then the Asus one )

Devil is in the detail, motherboard is a pre-order hail mary SKU with water block, every once in a while an OEM throws a crazy SKU (I have owned several of them Asus MARS/Poseidon for example), the GPU is the water version... vs the Asus STRIX on air afaik.

Soldato
Gigabyte is the new king for charging crazy high prices for there motherboards & GPU these days,

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...el-z390-ddr4-e-atx-motherboard-mb-57p-gi.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1ak-gi.html

That standard Xtreme board is only a mere £480 though :cool: That Waterforce board is a bit crazy though I agree. Not sure that an RGB waterblock and a bit of fancy circuitry is worth an extra £470.

As for the gpu Asus still has the most expensive air cooled 2080 ti. That Gigabyte one you linked has an AIO on it.

Only £40 more expensive, but still.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,970.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Associate
Well off all the companys i have brought from i have never had to RMA a asus board and i have had a lot of them plus resale value much better than most others

different strokes for different folks:D i guess

Soldato
moboblock with leak detection circuit to ensure safe stability and low temperature operation even under full loading application and gaming.

lol, leak detection circuit that ensures low temperatures. Sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom