Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Loss of USB Power

Associate
Hi,

I've been having a bit of a nightmare with a new system build which will randomly loose power to the USB ports on the mobo effectivly stopping the KB/Mouse from working.

Only way to get them working is to reboot the system, this seems to happen totally randomly during games or if the system is left idle for any length of time.

I have built two identical systems one works without any issue and the other has this intermittent USB issue.

Initially thinking it may have been a faulty PSU I have swapped this for a spare both Corsair 850w PSU's but till having the issue.

Am starting to think it could be an issue with the motherboard, had anyone else come across this issue before?

Associate
OP
Using the USB 2.0 ports rear top of the board, I have two of these boards one works fine the other has this issue - is so damn intermittent though.

PC's are identical builds.

Associate
OP
I had the same issues with the Asus Maximus Extreme IV, USB would randomly drop then work for days at a time before doing it again. This new system is built up with the original components from that system so I'm either very unlucky and have had two ASUS boards with the same issue or one of the other components is casuing the issue.

So far I have swapped out the PSU both 850W Corsair, I've also installed on the WD Black rather than the SSD incase it was an issue with the Windows install on the SSD.

I've been running this sytem with just one stick of RAM since Friday with no issues, however the issue is so damn intermittent it can take a few days to occur.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have two of these boards, one appears to work fine the other has this USB issue, though since removing a stick of RAM I've yet to see it happen again.

I'm going to call Asus in the week and see what they say.

Associate
OP
My system has been fine for days with one sick of RAM, well as far as I know it has problem is so damn random and no guarranteed way to reproduce it.

I got a reply from Asus with a few things to try:-

In this situation, I suggest you to take the motherboard out of case and keep the necessary components onboard. Then try the devices on the USB port of the back panel.

If it is not helpful, maybe you could download the latest chipset driver from the following page:
http://support.asus.com/Download.as...indows.zip#Intel_Chipset_V9201021_Windows.zip

If it still exists, please erase the cmos to load default settings and try again.

If the problem remains, please connect another devices to it to see if it works.

The only thing I have not tried is taking the mobo our the case.

Associate
OP
Hi,

I've picked up some Corsair Vengeance 8GB (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8) which I ave now put into the system that was having USB issues, this RAM is on the QVL for the motherboard.

I cleared the CMOS and re-configured the BIOS settngs (disabling marvell controller) and set the RAM to use the XMP profile. PC seemed fine until my other half started to play Rift tonight on it then the game kept crashing and eventually the system BSOD.

I ran the windows memory checker which indicated an problem, I went into the BIOS and re-loaded the optimised defaults and left the RAM set to AUTO with only one stick present. PC has ran fine with one stick in the first RAM slot (closest to CPU).

I have a second set of the same RAM in my other system which appears to be working fine using the XMP profile. I'm going to pop this out and try the other set in my other PC and see if the RAM is fine in my system.

If it is fine am I right in thinking either the mobo or CPU is at fault?

Associate
OP
Looks like the issue with my USB power loss was down to the XMS3 RAM, since swapping the ram out for Vengence RAM from the QVL I've not had any further issues.

Associate
OP
Mine with the USB issue also seems to have remained fixed since changing the RAM.

Have updated the BIOS on the system that had issues originally this morning, will do the other later.

Associate
OP
Is this a common problem with these boards?? Very worrying as i have just ordered one for my 2500k build!
Ram i have on order for it is 2x4gb of corsair vengeance.

I've not had the issue since swapping from the XMS3 RAM to the Vengence kit, both PC have now had the BIOS updated and both seem very stable.

Back
Top Bottom