Asus PB278Q, can anyone recommend some settings ?

Associate
Asus PB278Q, can anyone recommend some settings ? + Overclocking to 75hz AMD.

I received my Asus PB278Q earlier today, on first impressions it looks great.

Can someone recommend some settings to get the best out of the display, thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
I set the display to defaults in user mode and ran the windows calibration tool to adjust gamma etc. My resulting settings on the monitor from the calibration are:

User mode:

Brightness - 48
Contrast - 74
Colour - 50
Saturation - 50
Gamma - 2.2
Colour temp - 6500k

Sharpness - 50
Trace free - 40

Only really adjusted Brightness and contrast really. Trace free I set to 40 which was considered the best setting by TFTCentral which gives the best balance in ref to responsiveness and overshoot etc.

Overall it looks great and a lot more comfortable on the eyes and a better representation of colours compared to the stock setting. You can go into far more detail with calibration, but that'll do for me :)

Associate
OP
Ive heard with a Nvidia GPU that its very easy to overclock this to 75hz and apparently it makes a huge difference, is their any easy way to do this with an AMD card ?

My GPU is a Sapphire 7970 Vapor X 3GB, in Catalyst control each time you try to change it to 75hz @ 2560 x 1440 it just reverts back to 60hz.

Associate
Ive heard with a Nvidia GPU that its very easy to overclock this to 75hz and apparently it makes a huge difference, is their any easy way to do this with an AMD card ?

My GPU is a Sapphire 7970 Vapor X 3GB, in Catalyst control each time you try to change it to 75hz @ 2560 x 1440 it just reverts back to 60hz.
This article on Tweaktown might help. They get an overclock of 85Hz using an AMD card.
http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/18/overclocking-our-asus-pb278q-monitor-2560x1440-at-85hz/index.html

I'm not brave enough to try it myself though. Not sure what effect it might have on the lifetime of the monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
My understanding is overclocking this monitor is a waste of time due to the OSD control board, if it does anything it will cause frame skipping. The only monitors that might work are those which bypass processing altogether.

These are the setting I am using under User Mode:

57 - Brightness
77 - Contrast
6500k - Colour Temp
2.2 - Gamma
40 - Sharpness
40 - Trace Free
Default - Everything else

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers Easter

I'm giving your settings a go, they were very similar to what i had but my brightness was only 40 and contrast 75. Everything else was the same, its brighter now with the brightness at 57, the picture was superb anyway but as with anything you can always improve things.

Associate
I am debating about weather to go ahead and buy one of these or wait for the Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q which should be out within a few months. Its mainly for gaming.

I tend to keep my monitors for a while so want to make sure I am making the right choice.

Still using my trusty Samsung P2450, just want to step it up in resolution and don't think the initial cheaper 4K offerings are going to be worth it.

Oh and yes Ill be getting a new GPU as well as I know a single 2gig 770 will struggle with decent settings.

Associate
Soldato
You need to right click on desktop, go to screen resolution, tab to advanced (I think) click the colour calibration button and from there you can load calibration files.

Associate
OP
How much light bleed is acceptable on a monitor like this ?

On mine its generally ok, i have one area at the top right about 5 nches in from the edge where you can notice it when watching a movie in a dark scene, the rest of the screen seems to be fine.

Associate
I use Color profile keeper to ensure games run with the calibration set.

http://goebish.free.fr/cpk/

How I set mine up, a combination of defaults and TftCentrals profile - Download TftCentrals asus_pb278q.icc profile Download, load it up in Color Profile Keeper and in the apps settings make sure all three boxes are ticked. Open up the Pb278q onboard Menu (on the screen itself), Set Splendid to "User Mode". Click on "Color", "Advanced Setting" and set the monitor Rgb Gains (not offset) to R-46, G-50, B-43, Under Image set trace Free = 20, Under Color set Brightness = 28, everything else set to default. In windows, click the start Button, search for and open colorcpl, click Advanced, Change System Defaults, Advanced, and make sure "Use Windows Display Configuration" is ticked.

Last edited:
Soldato
How much light bleed is acceptable on a monitor like this ?

On mine its generally ok, i have one area at the top right about 5 nches in from the edge where you can notice it when watching a movie in a dark scene, the rest of the screen seems to be fine.

I'd say that's acceptable. Funnily enough I have it in exactly the same location, but I really have to look hard to see it and it only shows up when watching films. I run my brightness pretty low now (37) so I can't see it at all.

Most of these ips panels are susceptible to backlighting bleed to some extent. Trying to get a good Dell U2311h from Dell was a bit of a lottery. However I had more tint issues than anything with that panel. This purchase has been a breeze in comparison. Very chuffed :)

Associate
OP
Cheers Nocky

It sounds like a gamble having one replaced as you could end up with one thats even worse, it will probably be a refurb as well or do Asus have to replace a monitor with a new one in a sealed box ? Its just ive never had to deal with Asus for warranty replacements.

Back
Top Bottom