Asus Prime Z270-p does nothing after first boot

Associate
Hi guys,
With your help ordered some upgrade parts and have put them in tonight. Have built before so relatively confident that I've plugged everything in ok.
Got an Asus Z270-P and an i5 7600k.

First power on, says need to enter bios to confirm settings (kinda expected I guess). Changed system time and nothing else. There is no "exit without saving" option in this bios so I hit F10 and it says, "you didn't make any changes" so I press ok. Computer restarts (I assume). And that's it. The lights on the mb sit there pulsing like they do when it's powered down,but no video output on either inbuilt or GPU, and no power to mouse of keyboard (USB) which both worked in the bios screen.

So I was quite disappointed. The reset button on chassis didn't appear to do anything. Hold Power button down and it does turn off. Try to power on again, nothing.

Cleared the CMOS and started again. Got the display up nice and quick, hit F1 to enter bios and confirm setup. Didn't even change the system time this attempt. Just hit F10 after clicking around a bit. Screen goes black, pc appears to reboot. Nothing. No USB lights, no display.

BIOS showed all four memory modules ok. Showed mb temp of 23 and cpu temp of 26. Left it on for 5 mins maybe the second time. Just sat there monitoring, no issues.

Don't have a speaker (because I figured all mb had the 8 bit lights on these days so who has a speaker?) So don't appear to be able to diagnose if there is any output at all...

Help! (Please)

Caporegime
Try it with no drives and no gfx card and one ram stick.

Once back in the BIOS you can start refitting stuff and testing again.

Make sure the boot up order is looking for your ssd/HDD first etc.

Also I take it you are going to reinstall windows after making a large upgrade

Associate
OP
Currently have a new, blank ssd connected as only SATA connection.
Have tried removing GPU, clearing CMOS. Gets into BIOS ok first boot. Accept default changes. Resets, no POST.
Manually power cycle, no post.

Will try removing memory now.

Got a speaker and plugged it in. No beeps.

Associate
OP
Ok so took all of the memory out and put just one stick in. Seems to be a lot happier - at least, it has managed to reboot to the BIOS twice, which is a marked improvement.
Funny how the BIOS could see all four sticks and read their serials etc until it tried restarting...
Well I'll start adding the GPU and SSD back in and see if I can install windows. Who knows? My next post might actually be from a pc (so the spelling will be worse).

Soldato
I build systems with this board all the time. Its a decent board but the K is a little better. Anyway, That's the best way to sort if you have any issues, take out all but 1 stick of memory and start there(As you have done) I find that the board is quite easy to incorrectly seat the memory and just removing/refitting tends to work.

Soldato
Since the Prime is devoid of a Q-CODE LED, check to see if any of the Debug LEDs are lit, namely DRAM.

The system is failing memory training with more than one stick most likely.

You can try reseating the CPU, checking for even mounting pressure. Also as Stulid has mentioned, you need to tell us what memory kit you are using.

Back
Top Bottom