Asus ROG Maximus Z790 code 55 error code - cant get into BIOS

Associate
Hello all

I'm struggling with a new PC build, any help greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to build the following PC:
Asus ROG Maximus Z790 dark hero ATX
Intel i9-14900ks
G.Skill trident Z5 8000mhz 2 x 24Gb DDR5
Corsair 5000D Air Flow mid-tower case
NZXT Kraken Elite 360 RGB liquid cpu cooler
2 Crucial T705 2 TB M.2 solid state drive
No gcard yet (Will be a 4090)
Asus ROG strix Aura edition 1200 W 80+ gold certified fully modular ATX power supply
Windows 11 Pro

Everything is installed, but I get error code 55 and startup doesnt complete, can't get to BIOS. When turned on the number starts at 12 then goes to 28 after 1 second, after it goes to 54 with a 1 second time and then after 3-4 seconds it changes to 55 and does not change.

There is no power to USB keyboard or signal to monitor

I removed the cpu and then the error code changed to 00 saying that there is no cpu, then I put it back. There was no bent pins or dirt around cpu or socket. Tried different strengths tightening of the screws that are used by the cpu cooler.

I tried both memory sticks 1 by 1 and in pairs in each slot but it always came back in with error code 55. The RAM was installed correctly, clicked in place, LEDs come on

With no memory installed I get error code 53.

I originally put my RAMs into slots 2 and 4. Tried to turn it on multiple times.

See the photo for any clues

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Mark

How long are you waiting for it to boot? DDR5 PCs can take a very long time on first boot.

Have you tried DP and HDMI?

Do you have a spare stick of crappy memory? I know answer is probably no with DDR5, but worth an ask.

How did the cooler mounting go? Any chance it is installed too tight, or too loose, or unevely?

The click isn't always 100% confirmation it is installed correctly (the RAM), by the way.

Last edited:
First thing I would try is put 1 RAM stick only in the slot closest to the CPU and then try.

I bought a Mobo recently and that was the only way I could get the PC to boot.

Then I applied the XMP settings in the BIOS, restarted and it booted again.

Then I added the other 3 RAM sticks and it booted and works as normal now.

Probably wont work in your case but it only takes 5 minutes so worth a try just incase.

Hi both, thanks for the quick replies. Very helpful!

I tried one stick (nearest cpu) made sure it really clicked in place, I now have the BIOS appearing.

Thanks again, hopefully will go smoothly now!

Hi all

Havent made a lot of progress as I get the following message:

The system has POSTed in safe mode.
This may be due to the previous POST attempt failing because of system instability, or if power button was held in to force the system off.
If the system failed to POST after you made changes to UEFI settings you may wish to revert to stable settings to prevent POST failuete

I previously set the XMP settings to match those on the sticker of the RAM, had no effect.

All the temperatures look fine, here is the main screen

I set BIOS settings to default (F5), still same POST error screen.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Mark

getting a 48gb kit of ram to work correctly will take some doing, has the bios been updated at all to allow 48gb kits of ram to work, regarding speed you're going to have a very rough time running over 6000mhz tbh too.

Back
Top Bottom