Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F Gaming WIFI - No ATX 4 pin power connector (ATX_12V_2) from my PSU? Do I need to plug one in?

Soldato
So plugging in an MSI MPG A1000G 80 Plus Gold 1000W to my Asus B650E-F, I have a cable to plug into the 8 pin ATX_12V_1 connector from the PSU, but I can't see any connector for the PSU ending in 4 pins for the ATX_12V_2?

I assume I do NOT need to plug in any cable to that ATX_12V_2 socket (shown as A) from the PSU?

koBfliq.png

2074c094-43c7-4fb3-93eb-c16dcc9dc87d

Strange there's no cable included with the MSI MPG A1000G that's suitable?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The lead I seem to have is an single 8pin at the PSU (CPU/PCIe socket) to a single 8pin for the motherboard socket ATX_12V_1?

And then no leads from the PSU suitable for the 4 pin ATX_12V_2.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
to a single 8pin for the motherboard socket ATX_12V_1?
At least one of the CPU/EPS12v 8 pins should split into 4+4 (the remaining 4 pins would just have to dangle by the side), MSI's website suggests that they both do and anandtech's review also lists them both as 4+4. I suppose it is possible they changed the manufacturing so that they no longer split, but I'd be surprised because that would make the PSU incompatible with older motherboards that only have 1x 4 pin.

Well, it's booted and working with only ATX_12V_1 plumbed in...
Yeah, the manual says you can use 8 OR 8+4.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I got a Corsair 1000w RMe or whatever model it is. I also didnt get a 4 pin connector, and no 8 split in to 2 either. I also just run off the 8 only.
Are you sure? That would be very weird, Corsair's website even shows them as having a double width prong so that when it splits there's still a clip.

This would make these PSUs incompatible "out of the box" even with some fairly recent PCs :o

Man of Honour
Just checked again. There is no way to have a 4 pin connector...
The anandtech review has the same double width prong as the Corsair, but anyway, it doesn't matter since you don't need it anyway, but will have to be careful buying a new PSU for my old motherboards, if this is a future trend.

Soldato
Well, it's booted and working with only ATX_12V_1 plumbed in...

You do not need to plug it in, unless your CPU requires the additional power. I can't say for your particular CPU, but for most people its fine unless they are going to overclock. You need to check the recommendations for your CPU (no doubt someone on here can calculate it!)MSI probably sell the cables if you need one.

Last edited:
Associate
Akasa do an adaptor, I had same thing and used the adaptor to go from a spare 8 pin to 4 pin.

Not sure why it's has both if it works with just the 1 connector (maybe to do with power limits and over locking) but does seem odd that many PSU don't have this connector in them

Man of Honour
does seem odd that many PSU don't have this connector in them
It is definitely surprising! Admittedly 8 pins have been more common for awhile now (e.g. don't think I've seen a solo 4-pin on a Ryzen board), but there's still many PCs that only have 4 pins (I'm typing on one of them right now).

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought my Corsair HX1000i didnt have a 4 pin EPS connector and only 2 x 8 pins. I spent ages working out if I could run 8 pin only and after some Googlefu found that those cables did split.

I looked again and on first glance the seam and connection method is SO subtle it didnt look like it would split. I twisted the 2 halves of the connector and it did split into 4+4!

Back
Top Bottom