Asus Rog X570-E USB issue

Associate
I’ve recently built a new PC based on an Asus ROG X570-E. I’m encountering issues using my USB 3.0 external hard drive I’ve had for a while (Iomega Prestige Desktop).

The USB HD works fine on my old laptop, and CrystalDisk info showed no errors when checked today. However when attached to any USB port on my new PC it either causes the PC to ‘hang’ immediately or the USB HD becomes inaccessible after a short time and then the PC ‘hangs’. The PC only returns to normal after I disconnect or power the USB HD off.

I have managed to get this to work by connecting via an old USB 2.0 extension cable (but that makes it sloooow), so it seems like some kind of incompatibility between the motherboard USB 3.2 port and the 3.0 on the HD.

Has anyone else had this issue ?

Soldato
go into your bios see if USB legacy support is on. and also set switch ERP on and off or basically go the opposite of what it is shown in the setting.

check C-state and energy saving features also, have you checked windows power plan to see what is going on?

also tried different USB ports and headers on the motherboard?

accodingly to the web that USB HD is a USB2 connection anyway...

Associate
OP
Checked a few things, thanks.

Legacy support was on. Turned it off. Still the same.

Using any of the available rear or front mounted USB ports produces the same result.

I doubt it's related to power settings in any way as it doesn't happen when I plug it in via the USB 2 extension cable. I also tried an old USB 2 external drive and that worked in various USB ports with no issue. Plug this one in and as soon as I try to access it the PC locks up. Power the drive off / disconnect it and the PC goes back to normal.

I don't know what you looked at to check the USB version on the web but the USB HD is definitely USB 3.0. I know this both by the data transfer speed when attached to my laptop as well as from the order I placed when purchasing a "2TB Iomega Prestige Desktop USB 3.0 External Hard Drive" from a reputable online retailer.

Associate
This is a current issue with Ryzen.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS (AGESA 1.2.0.0 https://rog.asus.com/uk/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios), latest AMD drivers (https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570) and Windows needs to be as updated as much as it can be, most notably KB4601319 needs installing. This gives you a chance of having the problem fixed but ultimately you need to go into your BIOS and set your gpu slots to 3.0 mode. This almost universally fixes the issue until AMD/Microsoft whoever is responsible for this can get it fixed.

Associate
OP
Thanks!

Windows is upto date, inc that KB and the chipset drivers were updated a few days ago.
I’ll get the BIOS updated and change the GPU slot to v3. Hopefully that’ll fix it.

Associate
Thanks!

Windows is upto date, inc that KB and the chipset drivers were updated a few days ago.
I’ll get the BIOS updated and change the GPU slot to v3. Hopefully that’ll fix it.

If you can actually update BIOS and then not change the gpu slot speed first to see if that's enough to fix it would answer some questions.

Associate
OP
Updated the BIOS to 3405 (Renamed file using renamer tool but Asus EZ Update wouldn’t recognise it in Windows, had to do it from the BIOS EZ Flash utility) and tried the external HD. Same as before, saw it in Windows and could access initially but then locked up.

Set PCIEX_16 mode to ver 3 (was at auto) for all, unfortunately it’s still the same.

I’m just going to give up on it with my new PC and just use it with the laptop. I’ll get a new external HD for backups.

Back
Top Bottom