Asus T100 owners thread

Soldato
With a few simple tweaks you can get Football Manager running well with a touchscreen. :)

Yeah it works, but is a bit clunky and doesn't work brilliantly on a low resolution screen. I find it better with the taskbar set to autohide. It's no fault of the T100 though, it's just not designed for this type of device.

I'm going to write up some more of my thoughts on the T100 later having used it quite a lot over the past few days.

Soldato
Having spend a few days with it my impressions fairly positive, but it's not perfect. Although to be honest a lot of my gripes are down to W8 rather than the device itself.

Screen is more than adequate, brighness isn't quite as good as an iPad retina, but not far off. Obviously the resolution is much lower, but the quality is good overall. Microsoft seems to have changed text rendering in the ModernUI, and as such the text in some apps appears a little jagged - I would imagine on a 1080P screen this wouldn't be as noticeable.

Performance is surprisingly good actually, I have a system using a Celeron 1037u chip (Haswell) and it is noticeably quicker but performance from this Atom/Baytrail is very good. I've upgraded from a somewhat dated AMD E450 based laptop, and it's vastly better. I do think it could benefit from an 4gb RAM though.
I've been playing around with XBMC, and have found that both 720P and 1080P videos play perfectly well if you've got a decent enough Wifi connection. I wouldn't want to stream a very large 1080P file over wifi though. Even TV playback over wifi was good, although I've not checked CPU usage yet for this as it's typically higher.
The small hard drive will be an issue for a lot of people, 15gb isn't really that much to have left over from the 32gb - but it's a 2 edged sword as the 32gb drive means it can hit the price point.

Battery life is very good also, I've not ran any conclusive tests but "all day battery" sums it up nicely. It's actually quite difficult to gague battery life as W8 doesn't appear to estimate battery rundown time, and it doesn't easily show the battery % from the ModernUI interface.

There's a couple of small gripes I have with the tablet ergonomics/hardware - but nothing major. A full USB port would have been nice, I beleive the micro USB port will work with an adapter, but I've yet to test this yet and it means having to use the adapter which is a bit of a pain.
The MicroSD slot as mentioned above is USB2, so it won't benefit from having a card any faster than a standard Class10. I'm also not a fan of where it's placed as I've inadvertently clicked it out a couple of times. Personally I think it would be better placed on the top or bottom of the device.

The keyboard dock, whilst a nice addition is not quite as useable as I would have liked. Granted, it's always going to be a challenge on a small screen device such as this however. As I'd mentioned previously in this thread, the trackpad by default supports edge swiping - but the trackpad is too small for this IMO. A good example of this is the top swipe action. It's very, very easy to do this by accident. Using chrome in desktop mode meant that it was constantly flicking in and out of fullscreen mode (which is what the top swipe does by default in Chrome). I also had some two-finger scrolling issues which were resolved by updating the drivers. It's a 100% improvement, and definitely worth doing. It's probably worth noting that the "Asus live update" software didn't/wouldn't show there were new drivers available - so it obviously doesn't work very well and I've since removed it.
The keyboard itself takes a little getting used to, it's very small and cramped so will not suit everyone, especially those with Shrek-like hands. It would be useful if the Function keys (F1-F12) defaulted to their system shortcuts like brightness/volume etc rather than the F useage.

Another thing to note is that it's not quite as lap friendly as traditional laptops/netbooks. Because device is heavy on top (i.e. the tablet) it has a tendency to want to fall backwards if you have the screen tilted backwards. They keyboard dock felt very heavy to me at first (considering there is no battery/hard drive in there). It wouldn't surprise me if Asus have actually weighed it down slighled to help with this problem. I've had a look at some larger convertible devices (such as the HP Pavillion X2, and Split 13) and both were considerably heavier on the tablet, so I think would be less lap-friendly for the same reason I think.

Overall I'm more pleased with it than I thought I was going to be. I had been half expecting to return it after a few days but I think I'm going to stick with it until something better comes along. Cost aside, the Dell Venue 11 is a better device and the i3 version would probably be almost ideal for me - but it's a lot more expensive. Even the baytrail version once spec'd with keyboard is much more expensive, so kudos to Asus at being able to get this down to ~£300 all in.

Associate
Right, I picked one of these up just after Christmas and I'm impressed with it, but with one (and it's a major one) reservation:

The battery drain during sleep.

I charged it overnight last night to 100%, used it for a few mins this morning, then put it to sleep and went to work. I've come home 10 hours later and the battery is at 69%.

~30% drain in 10 hours doing nothing except sleeping? Come on! I note from googling that this is a common issue much discussed on Transformerforums etc. Nobody seems to have a solution.

If a solution doesn't become available for this (BIOS update or whatever - yes I'm on 2.20) then I'll have to return it - not fit for purpose IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Right, I picked one of these up just after Christmas and I'm impressed with it, but with one (and it's a major one) reservation:

The battery drain during sleep.

I charged it overnight last night to 100%, used it for a few mins this morning, then put it to sleep and went to work. I've come home 10 hours later and the battery is at 69%.

~30% drain in 10 hours doing nothing except sleeping? Come on! I note from googling that this is a common issue much discussed on Transformerforums etc. Nobody seems to have a solution.

If a solution doesn't become available for this (BIOS update or whatever - yes I'm on 2.20) then I'll have to return it - not fit for purpose IMO.

I switch mine off completely. Changed the power settings so that when you press the button it shuts down.

It starts up fast enough for me.

Associate
I switch mine off completely. Changed the power settings so that when you press the button it shuts down.

It starts up fast enough for me.

That's not an acceptable solution for me at all. The whole point of a tablet device for me is that you pick it up and it's instant on and ready to go, like your phone.

Soldato
Starting to get a little peeved with mine now, same problem as the other day can log in get to metro screen and can scroll around etc but cannot press any tile etc nor can I get to desktop mode...... I'm resetting it yet again :rolleyes: think it's happening after I'm restarting Windows after automatic updates are installed

Soldato
I'm runnning into a couple of annoying issues. The wi-fi device stopped running the other day, seemingly after a recent Windows update. Showed '!' in device manager with some error message about it not starting. Trying to update (or roll back) drivers didn't help. I ended up using System Restore.

However, installing drivers from Asus's website is proving less than straightforward. Something (I'm not used to W8 yet) is blocking a few of them when I try to install new ones. Asus Live Update just crashes to desktop after the UAC prompt with no error messages too. Doesn't work with UAC disabled either. Grr...

Associate
I'm runnning into a couple of annoying issues. The wi-fi device stopped running the other day, seemingly after a recent Windows update. Showed '!' in device manager with some error message about it not starting. Trying to update (or roll back) drivers didn't help. I ended up using System Restore.

However, installing drivers from Asus's website is proving less than straightforward. Something (I'm not used to W8 yet) is blocking a few of them when I try to install new ones. Asus Live Update just crashes to desktop after the UAC prompt with no error messages too. Doesn't work with UAC disabled either. Grr...

I had this. I did some googling. Its the order of some windows updates being installed. Somehow they get loaded in the wrong order and kill the wifi. I found a MS webpage telling me to remove some windows updates and re-install in a particular order to solve the problem. WORKED PERFECTLY FOR ME.:D Good luck.

Soldato
Well, I just used Windows update to install practically everything available (in no particular order) and it seems to be behaving itself. Most of the drivers etc updated fine too.

Associate
an interesting turn of events...

Declan Wade ‏@d3ccyw Jan 13
@ASUSUK when will any of your retailers get the t100 notebook 64gb in stock? Can't find one from any of retailers listed on your website
Reply Retweet Favourite More Expand
Declan Wade ‏@d3ccyw Jan 15
@ASUSUK can you reply to my previous question please?
Reply Retweet Favourite More Expand
ASUS UK ‏@ASUSUK Jan 16
@d3ccyw Hi Declan. Apologies for the delay. 64GB will only be sold in B2B arenas. But T100 w/ 500GB HDD is due any day

whats a B2B arena? business to business? what is that exactly

Permabanned
So I managed to get my self one of these, isn't it awesome?! I am hugely impressed how well it is and how much better windows 8 feels with a touch screen.

Anyone played any games on this thing? Had a go with "Nexus: The Juipter Incident" and it ran perfectly, going to try Fallout 3 next with a few performance mods. Hearthstone runs really nicely as well, touch screen is great with that game.

Only issue I have is that if I go onto youtube, scrolling seems to be quite laggy, anyone else get this?

Also, what MicroSD cards are people using? Need to get myself one as I can only install 1 game at a time really!

Associate
Had to laugh at this...

I was trying to update the 'ASUS Smart Gesture' to version V2.2.10, downloaded from the T100 support page.

Whatever I tried, it would abort setup with the message "asus smart gesture does not support your device's touchpad function".

So I fired off a quick email to ASUS to ask for any suggestions what I needed to do. 5 mins later the solution hits me - I was using the T100 in tablet mode, no keyboard dock attached. So I attached the dock and off it went, installed with no issues.

Would have been nice for the driver to give a hint that on convertible devices it needs the dock attached rather than just flatly stating incompatibility and aborting but hey ho.

Anyway a couple of days later (just now) an email from ASUS support:

ASUS support said:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Support.

For this issue,we suggest you install all updates available from Asus Live update and Windows Update.

Once you have installed these updates, if the problem is unresolved, you will need to reset your machine.

Back-up all data you wish to keep.

1. Power on the Notebook and immediately hold the F9 key down.
2. You will then see a message saying "Please Wait"
3. Please choose "Troubleshooting"
4. Choose "Reset your PC"
5. Follow the on screen prompts
6. If your Notebook has more than one partition, you can select only recovery to C: (Only the drive where windows is installed)
7. Select "Fully clean the drive"
8. Click on "Reset" to continue and reset windows.
9. The recovery will remove all data and settings from your computer, please do not interupt this and process may take over 1 hour.

'Yeah, we didn't read what you'd written at all, just go straight for the nuclear option - format and recover.'

I mean, yeah, I'm sure that would have fixed it but, you know...

Back
Top Bottom