Asus WiFi 6 XT8 or XT12?

Associate
I have a big old Victorian house for which I'm struggling to use Google Nest WiFi at the moment. Not only because of the big rooms but thick walls too. The main setup is on the first floor front of the house. My back office is 3 rooms at the back. Currently, I have one node in the front office first floor and one node in the dining room (middle) ground floor). I barely get a connection to the snug where the TV is for Netflix/consoles etc and I don't have any in my back office.

I've been looking at the Asus series as I was going for TP-Link but found out you can only use their mesh with one router and the rest as the plug-in options. So that leaves me leaning towards XT8 mesh system. I then saw the XT12 as ET12 is not available whatsoever but I need it now rather than wait as working from home is not really an option for me.

Does anyone use the XT8 or XT12? Is the latter even needed despite the 160hz band and it does more coverage 6000 compared to 4000. I believe XT12 is AX11000 and the XT8 is AX6600? Due to current offers I can get a 4 pack cheaper than one pair of XT12.

Note I will be doing a hardwired cat 5e backhaul from front to back office on the 1st floor which means front/back of house will have the WiFi connection. Hopefully spread enough for the middle of the house.

I use the XT12's as well. Been really pleased with them. I ended up ditching the smart control WiFi as I couldn't get the devices I wanted to stay on the channels (i.e. 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz-1 and 5Ghz-2) and I found my devices would flap about quite a bit. So I ended up just seperating out the SSIDs and assigning them to each device manually. I now have things like TVs, Printers, IoT devices using 2.4Ghz. I then have all Mobile Phones exclusively on 5Ghz-1 and then I use the higher 5Ghz-2 just for PCs and Laptops. Had to tweak the dBm on the Roaming Assistant setting to help with handover between the two nodes, as well as reducing the Beacon Interval. I can get away with 2.4Ghz on Power Saving and 5Ghz on Balanced. Lots of options to fiddle with. :D

I didn’t know that was a thing. I‘m having major issues trying to add the Google Nest Protector as it needs to be one 2.4ghz. I turned off all the 5ghz radios and it still won’t detect. I may have to do two separate ones too and try that method.

Back
Top Bottom