ASUS XG438Q 43 inch 120Hz 4K announced

Associate
https://pcmonitors.info/asus/asus-xg438q-43-inch-120hz-4k-va-model-with-vesa-displayhdr-600/
ASUS XG438Q 43 inch 120Hz 4K VA model with VESA DisplayHDR 600
The monitor offers a ‘4K’ UHD (3840 x 2160) VA panel with a 120Hz refresh rate and a light matte anti-glare screen surface, believed to be from AU Optronics. AMD FreeSync 2 is also supported on compatible GPUs with a variable refresh rate range of 48 – 120Hz. This iteration of the technology also mandates LFC (Low Frame Rate Compensation) to offer an even higher effective range of operation. Another aspect of FreeSync 2 is support for the HDR10 pipeline, which is not tied specifically to FreeSync and can be enjoyed by Nvidia GPU users with compatible GPUs as well. The monitor supports VESA DisplayHDR 600, which encompasses amongst other things effective backlight local dimming as a requirement. Coupled with pulses of high brightness (600 cd/m²+) for areas of the screen displaying the brightest content, this allows a significant boost in contrast compared to SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) LCDs. 10-bit colour is supported and a flicker-free LED backlight is employed with supports for 90% DCI-P3 – two other important boxes for VESA DisplayHDR 600 ticked. The typical maximum luminance is 450 cd/m², with enhanced luminance pulses for HDR as noted previously. A range of ‘Low Blue Light’ (LBL) setting are also included to aid relaxing viewing, particularly useful in the hours leading up to bed when blue light exposure should be minimised.

Here's Asus announcement
https://rog.asus.com/articles/gamin...n-gaming-with-freesync-hdr-2-at-4k-and-120hz/

Give me a way to preorder! Take my money plx!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Would £1500-1700 put you off? I'm expecting this to hit that mark easily.
I think it would because I expect Philips will enter the market with a similar product by the end of the year given they've supported the 40"+ monitor segment for the last few years, I think my max would be £1200, if they could keep it under a grand my end goal would be three of them.

Looking at Asus's current offerings I could see an £1100 launch price before a dip to £995 to catch everyone put off by a four digit price tag.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
22-26 inches, the pixel density is very similar to that of a 30" 2560x1600, so it's as comfortable and usable at its native resolution, no zoomed apps, but with a huge amount of screen space. I previously had a 40" and it was a touch too small.

Associate
OP
SnOXN66.jpg

My desk right now, perfectly readable text (close to 110 DPI), incredibly immersive games, the screen in front is 43", the one to the right is 40".

In my opinion a screen any bigger than 43" would need to be curved, any smaller and text at native 4k res's starts to become uncomfortably small.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I read before that the 120" is FALD, the 144" is Edge-Lit so while the Acer may have higher peak brightness the Asus will have better picture quality and dark's, tbh I'll buy the first one to release and then upgrade if the other is better :D

Associate
OP
Mine arrived, set it up, played with cleartype and enabled shadowboost which improves the readability of text, hopefully Asus resolve the pixel issue without requiring shadowboost because it washes out the picture. Had a quick run around in the Apex Legends training map, it feels like there's motion blur enabled so something must not be set up right, the OS and monitor say 120hz is enabled and Nvidia's Control Panel sees the monitor as gsync compatible so I'm not sure what's going on. Turning on the monitors refresh rate counter it's locked at 120hz even while 3d mark says its running at 80-90fps, gsync on or off.

Associate
OP
I'm thinking about returning mine. Dark smearing is too strong in some games even with OD on. It looks fine with 3D games but some 2D games like Binding of Isaac Rebirth are painful to watch.

I think the motion blur you are experiencing is the ghosting of the VA panel.

I've been away for a while so only sitting back down to it now, I find it odd that the motion blur seems more pronounced with a 120hz gaming screen than the 60hz philips beside it.

Back
Top Bottom