Asus Xonar DG Optimal settings?

Caporegime
In the asus audio centre what are the optimal setting to use for this sound card? I'm only ever going to be using headphones no speakers.

Also the best settings for music and the best settings for gaming.

Thanks in advance.

Currently I'm rolling with

8 channels
48khz
Headphone

and HiFi ticked

that's it

Soldato
Best settings will be Dolby Digital.

For music, whatever sounds good when paired with your headphones and your ears - there is no 'right' or 'wrong' answer.

Caporegime
OP
Best settings will be Dolby Digital.

For music, whatever sounds good when paired with your headphones and your ears - there is no 'right' or 'wrong' answer.

dolby digital? that isn't an option in the asus audio centre, or do you mean on the media i'm using? to select dolby digital for movies for instance.

i'm talking about the asus audio centre, what's the best setting within that.

i used this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbLgqOKAPIg

wonder if he is right or not

Soldato
Music: 2 channels and Hifi
Gaming depends on the game, those with headphone drivers probably sound best with the same settings as music while those that don't: 8 channels & Gaming setting (for dolby headphone).
As for sampling frequency, I leave it on 96kHz for everything.

oops, my bad, doesn't look like the DG has the gaming setting, I'm using the STX and it seems to have extra DSP buttons (for gaming, music and movies). As for the GX button, I never use it as it can be flaky from what I've heard.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
in the video he states you should only use 96khz for blu rays and stuff like that otherwise your upsampling and creating distortion.

he has videos on headphones and why you shouldn't buy gaming headsets and recently upgraded to a schiit DAC, etc so I think he knows hat he is talking about but he also seems as if he's new to all of this stuff so not a audiophile as he recommends M50's and we all know they are overrated.

Soldato
Just because he has a Schiit doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about, just that he listens to those that do. As for the 96kHz setting, I use WASAPI in MusicBee for bit perfect audio while listening to music so there is no resampling and the recommendation is to set it for the highest sampling rates you are likely to use.

Soldato
The 48KHz vs 96KHz is a load of nonsense.

I meant Dolby Headphone for gaming/movies, not Dolby Digital - brain is all over the shop today.

Rest of the settings are honestly just what pairs well with your headphone and what sounds good to your ears. I like a neutral eq with neutral headphones, but if my headphone has a more 'fun' sound signature, I might boost the treble a little bit (to accommodate for it being rolled off) - to maintain the 'fun' sound whilst not loosing some of the nuances in the track.

Back
Top Bottom