Asus Xonar DGX - no sound (query resolved)

Associate
Once again throwing myself at the mercy of Overclockers' in-the-knows!

My PC set-up is as follows: onboard sound is Realtek high definition audio, the dedicated card is an Asus Xonar DGX, and I also boost playback via a Tytan subwoofer kit. Sound set up and working fine for months, until last night. During/after the download of an Nvidia GeForce driver update, the sound suddenly switched to coming through one of my dual monitors rather than the regular dual speakers. I now have no sound at all after the other half has been fiddling around trying to fix the issue.

The connectors are all in place and I have tried redownloading the Xonar driver. In settings, speakers via Xonar are correctly selected as the default playback medium.

One of the self-help guides online suggested that 'stereo mix' should be selected as the default recording medium, but that's unavailable? Another suggested that SPDif should be ticked in the Xonar panel but that hasn't made a difference. Can't see anything else untoward in settings.

The Xonar audio centre panel and the playback/recording settings are shown below:

Xonar%20pic%201_zpswl9ladvm.png

Xonar%20pic%202_zpsatqfbqis.png

So what's going on here guys? Spent a couple of hours on this and it's doing my head in!

Associate
If you're using an optical cable, presumably you just right clicked the S/PDIF pass-through device in Windows sound properties and set that as default? I'm thinking you opted to install the HD sound driver with your graphics drivers and it switched the default device.

Curious what the issue was..

Associate
OP
Curious what the issue was..

After the headache, the solution was simple.

I switched the analog out on the Xonar panel from 'FP Headphone' to '2 speakers'. That was the first thing I initially looked at as being incorrect and tried without success, before posting here and then resetting it back to FP Headphone (assuming that was the default setting). Seemingly I also needed to have the SPDIF ticked whilst the analog out was set to 2 speakers. This might be obvious to others, but it sure wasn't to me.

I think I managed to tick off every available possibility and setting before returning to the very first option... :rolleyes:

Associate
I am right now in that boat or a neighbouring rowboat spinning around the same vortex of madness
When I test my Asus Xonar Dx in the sound control panel (in playback tab - right-clicking the device) I see the bars moving as it goes through Left Right, centre LFE RL RR but no sound whatsoever is output from this my fav. device
The unwanted Realtek High Definition device looks AND sounds normal when tested
this is an inversion of the desired normal situation
Same kind of 3ring circus in the Xonar Audio Centre panel
- graphic bars in action but in complete slience
I dont know what I did to cause this and need advice - how to get back to the desired situation ... Can anyone advise what I should do?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom